1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

crap, fixed and broke it

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
crap, fixed and broke it

i hooked my vss back up this weekend and now my tranny is slipping. it wouldnt shift into overdrive on the way here. i might go back out and cut the dang wire and let the light come back on.

any ideas? i unhooked my bat for the night

Matt

Old 10-28-2007, 07:34 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Is this on the 2000 Ranger????

Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
yes sir....

Old 10-29-2007, 11:21 AM
pawpaw
Well let's see, if the tranny wasn't acting out before you connected it up, I might suspect a bad speed sensor, or maybe by coincidence the tranny fluid is low!!!????

If you spliced the speed sensors leads, maybe you go em crossed up????

In any case, what was the speed-o doing with the speed sensor hooked up????
Would the (EDIT cruise control act out too, like not set, or just drop out???? If so, then sounds like the ABS speed sensor, mounted in the top front of the rear differential, is acting out.

If the speed-o, ABS & cruise control are behaving normally, I'd think the problem is with the tranny, it's computer, or wiring.

Rather than cut the speed sensors wiring, why not try pulling it's electical connector at the speed sensor & see what happens with the tranny????

Just some thoughts for ponderig.
Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by pawpaw; 10-29-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:26 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
well there is only 2 wires, one green and one red... i soldered them back and head shrinked them. i am hopeing resetting the computer would do something. trans fluid is normal. speedo and cruise worked fine. it never went into od on the interstate and slips when shifting, like its lost. once in gear, im fine?

Matt

Old 10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question, why didn't you get a speed sensor with the correct plug? It does sound like there may be a bad speed sensor signal here, so maybe the connection is wrong, or the sensor is not installed correctly.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:11 PM
pawpaw
OK, well with the speed-o & cruise working normally & I guess the ABS light isn't on either, so I'd say the speed sensor isn't likely the root cause of the tranny problem.

If resetting the computer has no positive effect, can you get the tranny computer shift codes pulled & post them???? They could offer up some good clues.

What kind of shape is the tranny fluid in???

With it seeming not to shift right, or slip, kinda makes me want to suspect a line pressure problem, or sticking shift solenoid, or maybe a valve body problem.

If the fluid condition isn't good, or is due or past due for a change, maybe consider a complete tranny fluid & filter change, or maybe something like a dose of SeaFoam Trans Tune in the fluid & drive it for a while & see if things get better.

If so, then do a complete fluid change/pump out with a filter change & see how things progress.

Just some more thoughts to ponder.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
its the same vss that came with the truck. my wire got cut doing some sort of farm work. i dont know how, but it has been cut for a month since i had no time to fix it.

i have no flashing od light or tranny codes. the check engine light was on, but this was a cyl misfire code. tranny fluid is less that 15k old, smells fine. my valve body was cleaned and checked when my new sep plate and bonded gasket went in.

Matt

Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
pawpaw
OK, so are you saying the tranny shifting probem didn't come about until after you repaired the broken speed sensor wiring????

Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
correct, i left the cable off and today it was shifting again. i hope it fixed itself with a computer reset. we will find out this weekend when i go for a 3 hour drive again

Matt

Old 10-29-2007, 07:03 PM
pawpaw
OK, well when you disconnected the speed sensor today & it shfted ok, did you drive it, before you reset the computer????

If resetting the computer doesn't fix it, have someone scan the computer with a tool that can read P1 codes & see if you find anything.

If resetting the computer doesn't do it, kinda sounds like maybe the speed sensors output signal is corrupt, as Bear River suggested, but if it is, seems to me you should also have the speed-o, cruise control, or ABS complaining, as they also make use of the speed sensors output.

Will be interesting to hear how it goes.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:16 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
no no, i didnt disconnect it. right now i have no lights and no codes. all i did was reset the computer.

Matt

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by fordboy_52
correct, i left the cable off and today it was shifting again. i hope it fixed itself with a computer reset. we will find out this weekend when i go for a 3 hour drive again

Matt
OK, I think I got it now. The speed sensor was/is still hooked up, so when you said above, you left the cable off, you meant the battery cable, (while you were restting the computer) & it seems to shift ok after the computer reset.
If so, sounds like the computer reset has squared things away!!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
i hope so......