timeing gears noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:22 PM
tonfro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timeing gears noisy?

Hello everyone
My 82 f150 300 C6 sure is making some strange sounds. It has always made these sounds but since I yanked all the pollution junk off and have gotten it to running really good, it idles really smooth, no shaking like before the mods, you can really hear what I think are the timing gears. I thought it might be the alternator but I took the belt off and still have this noise.
I guess its something I need to get used to or is it a warning its coming apart?
Thanks
GT

Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 AM
rswhitmore
Senior User
Some hot-rodders pay big money to get noisy timing gears. No worse than it sounds like yours are, I would not change them now. A quart of Lucas heavy duty oil treatment (about $10) will probably quiet them down some, as well as quiet those 4.9 lifters on startup.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
If they haven't been replaced, then they are probably the factory fiber gears and ready to come apart. The aftermarket lower tooth count gears whine, the finer ones are nice and quiet. IIRC, there are 110 and 58 tooth options, the 58 tooth ones whine. Mine sounds like a Coast Guard helicopter it whines so bad.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 AM
jlsdcen2
Freshman User
noisy timing gears

What type of a noise is it making? The reason I ask is that I had a 1995 with the 300 six that made a knocking noise starting in at about 1700 rpm and up. Eveyone that I took it to for diagnosis thought it had a rod bearing going out or piston slap. Everyone wanted to replace the entire motor with a long block. Then I found a very experience mechanic and he listened to it. He got out his stethescope and listened around, he diagnosed it as bad timing gears. I asked him to go ahead and tear into it thinking that I had nothing to loose. Sure enough, it fixed it!! Better than replacing the entire engine!! Check around and get lots of opinions. Good Luck

Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 AM
tonfro
Senior User
noisy timeing gears

no its not a knocking sound
sounds likes gears or a shaft with a bad bushing or bearing
its always made this noise
have had truck for 6 years now
just seems to be louder
can hear it sitting in truck
really dont go very far from home so if it lets go i can always get it home