The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

CB Radios

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rivet96
I run two whips, one dummy. theres no interference that i've noticed. I ran one whip to for a while before that and i didnt notice any difference when i switched over.
Thanks for the info rivet96.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:34 PM
2002 F-150 FX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run dual 4ft whips mounted on the side of my tool box mostly because I have no place to mount one (that would look normal). The dual really comes in handy though when pulling a camper or a large box style trailer. Truckers run duals because the trailer will cause problems with reception from behind them.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Duals change the transmission pattern of the system. Why run a dummy, you can get a cophase harness for 30 bucks. Read up:
http://www.claysradioshop.com/Trans-test-pattern.htm

Old 01-03-2008, 07:27 PM
cmellen
New User
wait im confused at what the point of one is.....is it pretty much so you can talk to any body with one?....can you talk to anyone or just people in the area?....can anybody get one? and whats it cost to use it anytthing? or just a cost to buy it?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
guitar_demon
Junior User
in the 70s and stuff you had to have a liscence and register your cb. now adays you can just walk into walmart or wherever and buy one. but yea its basically so you can talk to other people who have one in their cars/trucks. originally it was just used by truckers to convey conditions of the roads/accidents and to pass the time. after the movie smokey and the bandit came out in 77 it became a fashionable thing to have one. its mass appeal eventually died off though

Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cmellen
wait im confused at what the point of one is.....is it pretty much so you can talk to any body with one?....can you talk to anyone or just people in the area?....can anybody get one? and whats it cost to use it anytthing? or just a cost to buy it?
People use them for different things. All my buddies that I go hunting with have them, so they work great trying to keep four trucks together on the highway. Plus they also work where I don't get cell service in CO and OK, and out in East Texas.

*They're short range, mine got 3 miles stock on the Llano, which is flat as a pancake.
*You can talk to anyone in range that has one, has it on, is on your channel, and wants to talk to you.
*Cost if 35 at Wal Mart for a Cobra 19Crap. I've used Cobra 25s and 29s which run right around 100 bucks apeice. Whatever brand, 100-ish is a decent target for a 'normal' radio.
*It costs whatever you spend on equipment. Which can be a lot.

A decent rig: Cobra 25 plain no fancy features, and a Wilson Lil Wil mag mount antenna.

If you have one, you get it tuned by a good shop guy and he can get it turned up and increase your range, power, ect.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
1985IDIFORD
Freshman User
Candy Cane

Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
Guys, I'm not 1 of you "YOUNG" guys here, I'm 47 y.o. and an Ex Trucker. I've always run a brand that Cobra bought out years ago, Uniden. I've got 2 Uniden Grants which are the same as a Cobra 29. Now 1st of all, CB's came out of the woodwork back in 1974 big time with a driver in a camper who overturned and wrecked, His Granddaughter got on his radio with a 500 watt linear,A.K.A. "Footwarmers" trying to get help, but because of the power he had, people had a hard time finding them, Ending up 2 days later they found them still alive, but because the linear, the power was dead. The radio was "Talking Skip" and was heard @ 7 states.
Now why I replied, A good radio as stated will cost you @ $45 up to $400 depending on the radio. You can go to a truckstop and pay a little more, but get some better choices. And also a lot of choices on the antenna. Now I have always run duals on the semi's and got good reception. Most you are legally allowed to have power output is 4 watts. But you can spend some money and get a linear which I DO NOT recommend.
When I 1st got into CB's, I had a FCC License KAIW1917, But after 1st Lady Rose Carter got her license before everybody else,(1975) The FCC changed the rules and dropped the license like a hot potato! A little history there,I hope that did not bore you!
The truck I'm driving now has a K-40 Magnetic mount & 4' whip. I now drive a 3/4 ton truck, I got "Downsized"! But for the Ford Trucks, a 4' whip or even a fiberglass "Firestick" will work great.
BTW, I go by "Autoglass" on the radio now. So if you're ever in the Louisville,Ky. Area I might be on the road. "I'm 10-7 And On The Side"

Last edited by Autoglass; 01-15-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:57 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
I am in the process of installing Co-phased 4' dual whips on opposite sides of the front fenders.
The CB itself is a Cobra 29 WX NW ST unit.
The installation is alittle slow going on account of it getting dark so early and being so cold this time of year.

Where and how does everyone have their CB units mounted? I would like to find a ceiling mount but havnt located any, and the stock mount i dont think i could trust to hold it to the roof while offroading.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 AM
78F150XLT
Senior User
I have mine mounted inside of my center consol that i built to house an amp for a my stereo... Its goina ahve to be moved cause I'm puttin ym center seat back in... My brotehr had his mounted like in the middle of the back wall like right behind the seat in his regular cab... it never fell off

Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
I mounted mine on the floor next to my shifter. It is mounted with a bracket that makes the CB removable in case you don't want to leave it in the truck in a bad area or whatever. I have never removed it and I don't know if they are available anymore. Never saw one in the store.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the Ranger I had mine inside of the center console, mounted vertical and as far back as possible and facing forward. Worked well, space efficient.

When I got the Explorer I left it in the Ranger though, great CB (old old school one...don't remember brand), but didn't seem fitting to the SUV world for some reason.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 PM
rivet96
Senior User
Originally Posted by cdrmotorsports
Thanks for the info rivet96.
Your welcome!

Before, I had mine on the Doghouse but i decided to mount it to the ceiling where i like it better. I plan on building an overhead console so my cb will be in that when i build it.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:04 AM
2002 F-150 FX4
New User
I have mine mounted under my front seat. 02 F-150 has a bar under the seat. Used pipe hangers from hardware store to mount to bar.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 AM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 73f100shortbed
I mounted mine on the floor next to my shifter. It is mounted with a bracket that makes the CB removable in case you don't want to leave it in the truck in a bad area or whatever. I have never removed it and I don't know if they are available anymore. Never saw one in the store.

You wouldnt happen to know the brans of mount he has would you? i was just talking about this with my dad, how id like to set up identicle antena mounts and wiring and mounts in each truck so i can just swap the cb and antennas to whatever truck im using at the time. And a mount that allows easy removal would be great! Ive been on the lookout and havnt found one either...

Quick Reply: CB Radios