1969 Ford Cummins Crew Cab Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:37 AM
4x4x7879
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looked at every page of this build and i have to say your attention to detail and fab skills are second to none. If you dont mind what did you use to paint your frame, inner fenders and fire wall? I am getting ready to take my truck apart to paint the frame etc. and not sure what im going to use. just trying to gather info. Thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HRDROKN
I think I have seen it done with some Dodge first gen IC's, but anything other than that... I was thinking interferes with the front grill mounting?
It may be a little different on the bumpsides, but I've seen air to air on the early 60's trucks and the 73-79's. Not that you want to change now, but I think an intercooler can fit in the bumps.

Side note on a different subject... On you fuel lines from the injection pump to the injectors. Did you take them and have them cad/zinc plated or were they that goldish color under the paint? I'm debating on getting a bunch of stoff on my motor cad plated, but I'm a bit gunshy after they reamed my on my last plating run

Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
HRDROKN
Tuned

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4x7879
Just looked at every page of this build and i have to say your attention to detail and fab skills are second to none. If you dont mind what did you use to paint your frame, inner fenders and fire wall? I am getting ready to take my truck apart to paint the frame etc. and not sure what im going to use. just trying to gather info. Thanks

I used Rust Bullet....

Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
HRDROKN
Tuned

Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
It may be a little different on the bumpsides, but I've seen air to air on the early 60's trucks and the 73-79's. Not that you want to change now, but I think an intercooler can fit in the bumps.
It seems that it had something to do with the way the grill mounts?

Side note on a different subject... On you fuel lines from the injection pump to the injectors. Did you take them and have them cad/zinc plated or were they that goldish color under the paint? I'm debating on getting a bunch of stoff on my motor cad plated, but I'm a bit gunshy after they reamed my on my last plating run
The lines were that way once the paint is stripped off...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 AM
4x4x7879
Junior User
Did you spray it or brush it on? I noticed on the web site it can be done either way. I brushed por 15 on some parts about 10 years ago with really good results but i do not have the parts anymore so not sure how it held up. I like the fact that the rust bullet is not affected by uv rays like por 15. Thanks for any info.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM
HRDROKN
Tuned

Originally Posted by 4x4x7879
Did you spray it or brush it on? I noticed on the web site it can be done either way. I brushed por 15 on some parts about 10 years ago with really good results but i do not have the parts anymore so not sure how it held up. I like the fact that the rust bullet is not affected by uv rays like por 15. Thanks for any info.

I used a brush to get it in the tight areas, then followed it all with a small foam roller to give it a little texture.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
HRDROKN
Tuned

I've come to the conclusion that fabing/bending brake lines suck!

Finished up the front from the M/C to line lock and back to the crossmember...

Old 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM
phyrekitsune
Senior User
Originally Posted by HRDROKN
I've come to the conclusion that fabing/bending brake lines suck!
Yes, it really does. At least you get to work on a clean truck instead of a filthy one. Midwest cars dump all the crusty rust into your eyes when pulling the old stuff out, too.

Where'd you put that prop valve? I know it's in the cab, but that doesn't look like a seat bracket to me.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
it's on the bottom corner of the dash

Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM
HRDROKN
Tuned

That's just the line lock for the front brakes on the lower corner of the dash... I haven't decided quite where I want to place the adjustable proportioning valve for the rear. I would like to have it along side the seat, but drilling more holes in the cab floor and trying to keep them sealed up against the weather is not something that I'm looking forward to doing.

So I'm going to play around with it today.... location that is.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I messed with that for a while. While I haven't installed it yet I think I'm going to use the factory hole for the dual tank selector since I will only have 1 tank in the truck. It's not as tucked up close to the seat as I would want, but like you I really don't want to drill any more holes in the thing and the **** fits though the large hole so it "works"...

Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM
HRDROKN
Tuned

I messed with that for a while. While I haven't installed it yet I think I'm going to use the factory hole for the dual tank selector since I will only have 1 tank in the truck. It's not as tucked up close to the seat as I would want, but like you I really don't want to drill any more holes in the thing and the **** fits though the large hole so it "works"...

That's one of the holes I welded up.... LOL. And still after messing with under dash locations, I ended up going here with it anyway....

Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
How you plan on sealing it? The hole in the cab that is?

It's kind of hard to see here, but I am using the wilwood prop. valve.

This is where I was thinking about mounting it, and it is easily accesible here. After thinking about it a bit I figured I may just use the hole for the tank select valve as just the **** on the prop. valve would fit though and I can keep the brake lines out of the cab. The issue here then woild be sealing the cab. I was thiking about making a rubber sheet type "gasket" for that. The other issue with that spot is that tank selector valve location puts it in a spot that might be easy to kick - which could be bad.

So maybe I will weld up the tank selector valve hole after all. Who knows at this point - so many dang decisions to make and I go back and forth on every single one!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
HRDROKN
Tuned

I had been tossing around the idea of using some dynamat over the line-x for increased sound dampning. And if I cut into the passenger side floor, I will need to add or patch anyway and I think long term I want to add carpet. So I could use a dynamat and undercoat the bottom side for a seal... or rivet in a plate to close the hole and undercoat. Can't weld anything without burning the line-x so I'm kinda limited... unless I think that line-x could patch my mods? So I'll figure it out after she gets on the road... which will happen this year!

I hate making goals....

Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
HRDROKN
Tuned

Fed up with the roll bar... so it's getting **** caned, can't weld the way I want due to that line-x and I'm tired of waisting any more time with it!

Still waiting for some fittings to finish up the brake lines and some 4" exhaust pipe to clear the bellhousing.

Started working on wiring up this pig...

Quick Reply: 1969 Ford Cummins Crew Cab Conversion