Sponsored by: DP Tuner

turbo lag with elevation

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
turbo lag with elevation

i hear alot about elevation and turbo lag..my town is <TABLE class="infobox geography vcard" style="WIDTH: 23em; TEXT-ALIGN: left"><TBODY><TR class=mergedbottomrow><TH></TH><TD>1,426 ft (435 m) this is sapose to be the highest elevated town this side of the rockies....i live at the top of the mountian where the town sits so i am a little higher then 1426..

5 miles away in the next town it drops to 820 ft (250 m)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
when go south and come down off the mountians i am at 520 ft (158 m)

i under stand the lower elevation the more power..i spend most of my time in the mountians..i live here..can i get my DP to run for the high elevation and not worry about it when i go down off the mountian??? i am assuming i would get better fuel milage this way...thanks guy's..

Old 10-22-2007, 07:40 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jody does offer High Altitude tunes, but according to his site it is for above 4000'. the 900 feet that you drop does affect performance, but I think the variables between 500' ASL and 1500'ASL might not be enough to warrant the switch.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ron I used to live in Greenville, SC and made frequent trips in my truck up to the mountains in SC, NC, and TN. I will tell you this, there's a huge difference between East coast altitude and Rocky mountain altitude. I mean HUGE difference. At 1,400 ft, there's not much of a lag issue as say 6,000 ft (my house in CO) or especially 10,000 ft. Come to think of it, my house that I live in now sits higher than any mountain I've been to on the East coast.... LOL.

Now as far as Jody's tuning goes, high altitude programming won't do as much for turbo lag. It's designed more for shift points, and fuel/timing adjustments for controlling EGT's. Due to the air difference at very high altitudes, EGT's are a main concern when heading up a long steep mountain pass. Even empty, many trucks can approach red line EGT's on a long climb.

That being said, I'm confident enough in Jody's tuning that if I did drive to lower elevations I won't be worried about my truck. Best bet though is to talk to Jody himself and ask him what he thinks about altitude tuning where you live.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the info guy's..maybe talking to jody is best..i have noticed since the turbo swap to the 99.5 turbo i am now getting black smoke in my 60 tow when i get on her hard...but i do run 100 to 150* cooler EGT's then i used to..elevation may not be the cause but i thought if it spooled a little faster it would clear the black smoke some..i have done a boost leak test and she holds 50lb..up pipes are not leaking..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 AM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
haha, 1500 ft. is hardly elevation. I'm 150 miles east of Pocket, but go snowmobiling and take the stroker. Thats elevation.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
sturzinator
Senior User
I didn't know how bad living at elevation effected turbo lag until I drove out to the Seattle area and my truck kept getting away from me in traffic.... it was like driving a sports car!! Then I drove into the mountains in BC and it was back to "normal". The truck still pulls like no other, elevation or not.....

Ahhh, sledding season is just around the corner..... is anyone else giddy of the thought of smelling 2-stroke filling the cold air yet???

Old 10-22-2007, 10:46 AM
chesterstroker
Junior User
Oh yes, the sweet smell of two stroke. Looking at the sled all polished up in the garage sure makes it hard to wait to hit the mountains.