6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

exhaust smoke while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 AM
rednek01
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust smoke while driving

while driving about 45 mph on two occasions i have noticed white exhaust smoke for a few seconds. i am pretty sure it is when the truck starts a regen as ford has pu in tsb's. truck ran fine not problems during the smoke, but was a decent amount of smoke. has anybody else noticed this? i am not too concerned, but sure do not want a cop to pull me over for smoke.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rednek01
while driving about 45 mph on two occasions i have noticed white exhaust smoke for a few seconds. i am pretty sure it is when the truck starts a regen as ford has pu in tsb's. truck ran fine not problems during the smoke, but was a decent amount of smoke. has anybody else noticed this? i am not too concerned, but sure do not want a cop to pull me over for smoke.
I have seen similar posts by other 6.4 owners who complained of white smoke. I have never noticed any from my 6.4 in about 6000mi of city driving. If you are worried about a ticket mention it to the dealer. When he tells you that the white smoke is normal, have him put it in writing. If you DO get a summons produce the paper in court showing that the white smoke is nomal and beyond your control. LOL

Old 10-21-2007, 12:56 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
White smoke on initial start of a regen is normal. It's because the DOC isn't hot enough to burn all of the fuel that is being injected into it. White smoke is completely normal, black smoke however, is not.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Copperkingf250
Junior User
My dealer told me that white smoke is normal. I just recently asked him last week.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:15 PM
RangerEdgeO2
Senior User
Originally Posted by rob_nc
White smoke on initial start of a regen is normal. It's because the DOC isn't hot enough to burn all of the fuel that is being injected into it. White smoke is completely normal, black smoke however, is not.
What he said ^^^^

Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
rednek01
Junior User
just as i have thought. i have a tsb print out about the white smoke. will hang on to that one. truck runs great. thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Geaux-Fish
Junior User
getting both black and white smoke

I have over 11,000 miles and have been getting both black and white smoke. Brought it in for the black smoke, they couldn't fine anything wrong, said it could be the diesel i was buying from station. Nah, they ain't it. Complained about the bluish/grey/white smoke when accelerate hard especially when turning off of the interstate. It usually does it after I have been driving a while at highway speeds. It shutters real bad like its flooded. Nothing known on that yet. I have been doing more city driving lately and its not as noticable, but will have to get it fixed, cuz it sure isn't normal. There are quite a few post regarding the white smoke with jerking as accelerating.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:09 AM
FLBowHunter
New User
Geaux-Fish, I have the very same issue with stuttering like it's flooded and it bellows out bluish/grey/white smoke. It's done it about 6 times on me in 7k miles. I haven't taken it in for service yet but will soon.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Zeplik
New User
I've had the same issue and mentioned previously in another thread. Stuttering / whitesmoke / etc. usually when accelerating onto the highway. I took it in to be looked at by Ford mechanic. Initially he thought it was related to the OVER FULL OIL / FUEL IN OIL TSB, but nope, not it. Oil OK, no residue in pipe, injector seals good. Test drives of course could not reproduce the symptom. He had several discussions with Ford Engineer about this, but was told that it's related to REGEN (hogwash!). I'm now to the point of keeping a log of when it happens, driving conditions, rpms, engine temp, heater / AC activity, and whatever else I can think to write down at the time. Somethings got to turn up eventually! One thing that would greatly help, I wish the communication display would alert you to when the engine is in REGEN. A simple asteisk in the corner would have been fine!!!!! FOMOCO, are you listening?

BTW I have over 12K miles on it, and have had the REGEN IDLE RPM /SMOOTHER SHIFTING flash performed. I absolutely LOVE this truck in every other way!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Geaux-Fish
Junior User
Zeplik,

What re-flash? I have not kept up with whats going on with Ford. I do have the high idle when in regen, and my transmission has always shifted very rough. Does the reflash fix those things?

My truck has been barfing black smoke since about 3000 miles or so. It has black residue in tailpipe, but thats when mechanic said it was probably the fuel i was buying at the stations. That was hogwash. I'm tired of bringing it in and them telling me they can't duplicate the problem. It's too much of my wasted time. I agree with you on all else. The other big complaint I have is the fuel mileage. It has gotten alot worse in time, but overall the mileage is very poor.
I had a 2000 model w/ the 7.3 that got alot better than this one. I do like the way the truck drives tho. Hopefully, they will find the solution to our problem and get it fixed.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Zeplik
New User
Geaux-Fish,

It's TSB 07-17-3. It's applicable for builds before 7/30/07 only. I found it did make a significant improvement on upshifts. I also saw a reduction in RPM and the amount of idle regens I was having, though it does not eliminate them. There are several other fixes addressed by this TSB that I was not experiencing. Check it out and see what you think.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
This happened to me to day for the first time. 7800 miles on the truck. White smoke (a lot of it too) coming out any time I was in the throttle hard or easy for about a mile. The truck had been running for about 10 minutes. Would the DOC still not be hot enough after that long?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Buckarcher
This happened to me to day for the first time. 7800 miles on the truck. White smoke (a lot of it too) coming out any time I was in the throttle hard or easy for about a mile. The truck had been running for about 10 minutes. Would the DOC still not be hot enough after that long?

Nope, it takes awhile and casual driving or idling definitely doesn't help. The DOC needs to be ~275C (527F) before all of the fuel injected is burned.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:33 PM
versitek
Senior User
mine did it yesterday to bad it was not summer they would of thought i was fogging for bugs the last time i saw that much smoke was when i was melting the tires down in the sports car

Old 11-18-2007, 12:55 PM
se7en30
New User
I got the big huge white plume of smoke yesterday - I was towing about 1500 lbs for 2.5 hours - running at around 70mpg for most of that time - there was an accident - had to slow down for a little while - putted along at 20mph for 5 min- when everything cleared - got on the accellerator - TONS of white smoke and sputtering. grrr.

I also get sputtering/hurking/jerking when towing and the motor is trying to upshift - at around 55 mph... I just have to get out of the accelerator and all is well.

Maybe this is all regen related.. Sure would be nice to have a REGEN ON button - hell I would put my truck through a regen every time before I towed..

Had all updates done at dealer - cant find anything wrong...

GRRRR

Quick Reply: exhaust smoke while driving