Modular V10 (6.8l)  

noise problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:48 PM
01 superduty
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise problem

Ok guys I can't figure out this noise, I have a 01 F-250 regular cab 4x4 v-10 with 56,000 miles on it. When I bought the truck it need the manifold studs changed. I changed the drivers side first and the passenger side had a a little tick so I cahnged it, but I coulnd't get one out so I put 9 new ones in and put some silicone around the port missing one. It is quiet while idling and give gas pretty good but when it gets warm at about 2500 RPM it makes like a ticking sound from the drivers side. It has all new exhaust on that side, but I would think it would do it all the time if it was a exhaust leak. When it is cold it doesn't do it at all.anybody have any ideas?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Several possibilities:

Most of the time you must torque the exhaust header bolts/nuts and later after a few hot and cold cycles re torque them

You could already have another cracked or broken stud/bolt on the drivers side

You might be hearing a plug getting loose-- sometimes before they blow, it sounds like a broken manifold stud

Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM
01 superduty
Freshman User
The studs on the drivers side are only 7 months old. I drove it yesterday it does it at 2200 rpms and anything over that it stops and under that it stops. With my windows down it sounds like exhaust from the whole passenger side of the truck, I am lost when it is idling I crawled under it and can't here anything, anymore suggestions

Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked the spark plugs yet?

It could also be loose heat shields on the exhaust pipes. I assume this is the first time you've driven without the exhaust leaks, right?

If it's an auto tranny, it could be the dust cover between the engine and transmission vibrating - metal to metal sound. You could stick a piece of rubber in there, drive it, and see if the noise goes away. Then go from there.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
01 superduty
Freshman User
When I bought the truck it leaked already, the truck came from Michigan and everything is rusty, I took the shield off the exhaust where the down pipes connect still makes it. I didn't check the tranny shield yet. I will check the spark plugs also. Do you think the exhaust is ok, I mean it is only missing one stud and all the other ones are brand new, My friend has a 99 v-10 and has 3 broke on one side and it don't leak at all. That is why I don't think one missing would leak, I could be wrong though. If it was the spark plugs wouldn't it do all the time because high rpms it is quiet?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
One stud missing, depending on the fit of the manifold, could leak, no doubt.

The plug might depend on how bad the threads are stripped (if in fact they are). The plug might get jolted onto the bad side of the plug hole or something to that affect. I've only read about here, no personal experiences. After you check them, it'll rule that part out.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 PM
01 superduty
Freshman User
Smile

Thanks big orn it ended up being the inspection shield between the tranny and motor, it only vibrated at 2000 rpms in second gear, bent it back a little and no noise. Thanks again for the tip to check that the truck is quiet now

Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 01 superduty
Thanks big orn it ended up being the inspection shield between the tranny and motor, it only vibrated at 2000 rpms in second gear, bent it back a little and no noise. Thanks again for the tip to check that the truck is quiet now
Thanks for the update!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The tranny inspection plate strikes again.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Thanks for reporting back! Give the man some reputation points fellas! That fact that he reported back means he's reputable (or something like that) ...