6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

why a bad daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:48 PM
benningstspeed1.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dealer Makes More Money Of The Diesel.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 PM
theoshin
Senior User
SO DOES FORD - OBVIOUS BY THE MARKETING STRATEGIES. I TRUST SALESMEN AS FAR AS I CAN LIFT THE TRUCK. THEY ARE OUT TO MAKE AS MUCH PROFIT AS POSSIBLE.

Originally Posted by benningstspeed1.0
The Dealer Makes More Money Of The Diesel.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:40 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by firehawk198
I traded in my 99 V10 with a stick. Depends on the dealer. One offered me 9,000 on the trade. settled at 12,500. that was 1,000 over kelly blue book at the time. Plus got it for $500 over invoice. Looked at the time what a diesel would have traded for. If identical trucks the diesel would have depreciated about the same. So in my opinion do not let resale be a factor. Get what you need or want. Both are great motors.
I'm kind'a w/ firehawk on this 1 - get what you want. Don't let us bunch of clowns steer you 1 way or the other. It sounds like you need v10 but want a diesel. The question is then - which will you be happier with?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 PM
theoshin
Senior User
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
I'm kind'a w/ firehawk on this 1 - get what you want. Don't let us bunch of clowns steer you 1 way or the other. It sounds like you need v10 but want a diesel. The question is then - which will you be happier with?
I GUESS THAT IS WHY HERE IN THE STATES WE DATE BEFORE GETTING MARRIED! HOWEVER, TRADING IN A TRUCK IS EASIER THAN A DIVORCE!

Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
6.4's are pretty quiet- I doubt mumma would even know the differance.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:05 PM
fordfish
Senior User
Who would outrun who 6.4 vs V-X ? Same same who wins the drag?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 PM
fordfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by rob_nc
I hate to keep this up, but you insist.

This information is not misleading in any way. A moving regen is the prefered method since it poses no danger of melting something that may be in close proximity of the tailpipe. This has been a concern of many on this site. A moving regen also uses less additional fuel than a stationary regen because the DOC is naturally hotter while running down the road that it would be at idle. I know the rpms increase during a stationary regen and this is by design. It creates a small amount of heat, but the main purpose is the carry the injected fuel into the DOC. Exhaust flow at idle isn't enough to do this. If you chose to perform all or part of your regens in stationary mode, then so be it. I will not advise anyone to not use the features built into the vehicle, but one should be aware of their surroundings when a stationary regen is in progress. As I mentioned before, this is a feature no other OEM offers and can be thought of as an advantage, when properly used.
You mean you can manually do a Regen??? If so, how do you know when too?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Bagger
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordfish
Who would outrun who 6.4 vs V-X ? Same same who wins the drag?
I have no idea but lets say it goes to the 6.4 so what? I got my truck to haul stuff and tow a jeep on a trailer. If I wanted to go fast I would have gotten a different ride. My truck earns its keep on trips NOT 1/8 or 1/4 mile at a time.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 AM
stroke this
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by fordfish
You mean you can manually do a Regen??? If so, how do you know when too?
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT, I KNOW THAT YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL HOW YOU INTERPERIT THAT POST. MAYBE ROB_NC CAN ANSWER THAT FOR YOU.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Why don't you people just read your owner's manuals? No, the 6.4 doesn't allow manually initiated regens, and I never stated anywhere in any post on this thread that it was possible. If you would read you owner's manual, you would know what I'm referring to so I wouldn't have to repeat what Ford has already written.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stroke this
WHY DO YOU HATE TO KEEP IT UP? IT IS A DISCUSSION.
YOU STATED THAT YOU HAVE TO BE IN CONSTANT MOTION TO REGEN, IF YOU WAN'T TO CHANGE YOUR STATEMENT THATS OKAY. FORD HAS DESIGHNED THE 08S TO BE ABLE TO REGEN WHILE STATIONARY(WITHOUT WORRY OF MELTING ANYTHING). I DON'T BELEIVE FORD WOULD DESIGHN SOMETHING THAT IS A DANGER WHEN IN USE.
I won't retract my statement(s) for the simple reason that it obviously annoys you. I don't see anyone else up in arms about it.

As far as your last 2 sentences are concerned. I dare you to park your truck in the middle of a Kansas wheat field and let it go into stationary regen. There are reasons why medium and heavy trucks are allowed to cancel a regen. Most of the stacks on trucks like these point at the sky, not at the ground. The last time I notice, dry grass covers the ground, not the sky.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
stroke this
Senior User
Talking

I won't retract my statement(s) for the simple reason that it obviously annoys you. I don't see anyone else up in arms about it.

As far as your last 2 sentences are concerned. I dare you to park your truck in the middle of a Kansas wheat field and let it go into stationary regen. There are reasons why medium and heavy trucks are allowed to cancel a regen. Most of the stacks on trucks like these point at the sky, not at the ground. The last time I notice, dry grass covers the ground, not the sky.
DUDE, I'V SEEN GAS CARS SET GRASS ON FIRE AND I BELIEVE THAT THE NEW DIESELS WOULD SET FIRE IN A KANSAS WEAT FIELD WHETHER IN REGEN OR NOT.
I DON'T BELIEVE THE AVRAGE DAILY DRIVER SPENDS MUCH TIME IN A CANSAS WHEAT FIELD THOUGH.
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
DOSN'T ANNOY ME AT ALL JUST CLEARING UP THE FACTS FROM AN ENGINEERS POINT OF VIEW.

Last edited by stroke this; 10-16-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:04 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stroke this
DUDE, I'V SEEN GAS CARS SET GRASS ON FIRE AND I BELIEVE THAT THE NEW DIESELS WOULD SET FIRE IN A KANSAS WEAT FIELD WHETHER IN REGEN OR NOT.
I DON'T BELIEVE THE AVRAGE DAILY DRIVER SPENDS MUCH TIME IN A CANSAS WHEAT FIELD THOUGH.
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
DOSN'T ANNOY ME AT ALL JUST CLEARING UP THE FACTS FROM AN ENGINEERS POINT OF VIEW.

Are you stating facts or opinions? Facts can be substantiated, opinions can not.

I'll agree the likelyhood of something melting or burning next to a parked SD is low, but it only takes one time and the news as well as NHTSA will be all over it. There will be more SDs sold to federal, state and local governments as well as contractors that will actually USE the vehicle for what it was designed for. I'd hate, for Ford's sake, to see a forest fire rage out of control because a Forest Ranger's SD was in a regen cycle and he happened to park next to a dried up bush.

Like the age old saying goes....**** happens.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 PM
stroke this
Senior User
Talking

Are you stating facts or opinions? Facts can be substantiated, opinions can not.

I'll agree the likelyhood of something melting or burning next to a parked SD is low, but it only takes one time and the news as well as NHTSA will be all over it. There will be more SDs sold to federal, state and local governments as well as contractors that will actually USE the vehicle for what it was designed for. I'd hate, for Ford's sake, to see a forest fire rage out of control because a Forest Ranger's SD was in a regen cycle and he happened to park next to a dried up bush.

Like the age old saying goes....**** happens.
i'm back,
this post is titled why a bad daily driver, not , what governments will use a superduty. i'm a contractor, i paid 50 grand for a superduty and i drive it every day and i don't worry about were i park my truck or when my truck will regen.
my wife drives my truck to grocery store and my 15 year old daughter is learning to drive it.
All that is off the subject, you made a false statment,as an engineer, denied it and now you are talking about your concern of state and federal government agencees starting raging forest fires.
man its not that big a deal, this was a disscusion about stationary regens but we have gotten a little off track.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
I never once made a false statement and will continue to deny that I did. As part of any normal discussion, the topic will always drift from left to right and back to center. At least I didn't resort to SHOUTING during any part of my volly with you.

The whole discussion between you and I was off the original topic to begin with. As you say, it is no big deal. At least everyone else but yourself seems to think so.

Quick Reply: why a bad daily driver?