302 won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 PM
WoomaHodal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 won't start!

its my girlfriend's 96 F150 with a 302 and dual fuel tanks. only has about 70k miles on it, and its been driven gently its whole life.

last week sometime, it decided it didn't want to start, but it sat a few days it ran just fine. Now it won't start anymore. It turns over just fine, its not any sort of power issue (battery is fine, starter is fine)

plugs have spark but arent wet at all, i changed the fuel filter and still nothing.

It's not the inertia switch either.

When I push in the pin in the schrader valve on the fuel rail, gas comes out so I'm assuming that means fuel is getting from the tanks to the engine, so the problem must be somewhere between the fuel lines and the spark plugs.

This leads me to believe its some sort of injector problem.

I checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, but I was wondering if there is any sort of fuse or relay for the injectors that could have gone out. I'm more of a carbureted kind of guy, and I have little experience dealing with injector issues.

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you have "good" spark, check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail while somebody is cranking the engine. Could also be the PCM.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
Run some gas line dryer in it 2 bottles of heet and 2 of iso heet, Take the fuel filter off, empty it, press the shrader so it drains the rail abit, Fill the fuel filter up with iso heet put the filter back on and crank it for a couple of seconds, Just enough to push some of the iso heet onto the injectors. Let it sit for 20 minutes try to start it up.
If it's a no go see if you can hear the injectors opening put a long screwdriver to the injector and your ear have her try to start it, You should here a little click. Make sure she doesn't baby it too much these things need to be run and they like to have a bit of weight on them every now and then, Take it out on the highway once a month and open it up, 80mph at least for 5 miles you want to get the combustion chamber hot to burn off carbon from the valves, piston and injector faces!!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 AM
HemiEater
Postmaster
check the fuel pressure like ubereal2 said, go from there.....

Can you hear the pump come on when you turn the key on? it should buzz for about 5 seconds and then stop.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 PM
WoomaHodal
Senior User
Originally Posted by blue beast
Run some gas line dryer in it 2 bottles of heet and 2 of iso heet, Take the fuel filter off, empty it, press the shrader so it drains the rail abit, Fill the fuel filter up with iso heet put the filter back on and crank it for a couple of seconds, Just enough to push some of the iso heet onto the injectors. Let it sit for 20 minutes try to start it up.
If it's a no go see if you can hear the injectors opening put a long screwdriver to the injector and your ear have her try to start it, You should here a little click. Make sure she doesn't baby it too much these things need to be run and they like to have a bit of weight on them every now and then, Take it out on the highway once a month and open it up, 80mph at least for 5 miles you want to get the combustion chamber hot to burn off carbon from the valves, piston and injector faces!!
where can i get heet at? i've never heard of it before.

and it gets a work out every once in awhile when i'm driving it, I take it to the governer when i get the chance.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:24 PM
dragogt
Posting Guru
any parts store or walmart should have it

Old 10-11-2007, 05:44 PM
HemiEater
Postmaster
9 out of 10 times it's the pump...... get a gauge on it....go from there....

Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 PM
WoomaHodal
Senior User
but since neither tank works, i ruled out the pumps. seems like one of them would work instead of both going out at the same time.