Computer Chips & Tuners  

6.0 programmer advice please

Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Country4.2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 programmer advice please

Truck is a 2005 F250 4x4 Ext. Cab 8ft bed 3.73 rear end with the 6.0 PSD, stock except straight pipe (which will soon be routed to a stack instead of underbody). Also soon to have CAI.

My question is what programmer should I go with. I am looking for more power (of course, can never have enough hahah), switch on the fly options, more smoke, and better mileage. I know these may not all be achieved with one power setting which is why I want to be able to switch between settings.

I have heard a lot of good things about the SCT livewire. Anybody have experience with this or any other quality programmer?? Bully Dog? Hypertech? Edge?? Banks?? etc. What's my best option to meet my needs??

Thanks for your help

Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
responded to your other query - sct.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
gogoman
FTE Sponsor
Most on this forum will say "SCT". There is no doubt that these are great programmers. The new SCT 3 is pretty sweet!

Superchips is starting to get some attention with their Cortex programmer, since they are offering a 2 year powertrain warranty with it. If you are out of warranty, then this might not be that important.

You can see several products available here:

http://powerstrokegogo.com/index.php?categoryID=84

Old 10-11-2007, 06:41 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Country4.2
I am looking for more power (of course, can never have enough hahah), switch on the fly options, more smoke, and better mileage. I know these may not all be achieved with one power setting which is why I want to be able to switch between settings.

I have heard a lot of good things about the SCT livewire. Anybody have experience with this or any other quality programmer?? Bully Dog? Hypertech? Edge?? Banks?? etc. What's my best option to meet my needs??

Thanks for your help
They will all make more power, but some come with a price. The SCT(which is what I have now) is the best one although however, I believe it's the only one I can really run since I have done mods that the over the counter ones don't accomodate for(injectors) and since the SCT is custom, it can. It is however, not shift on the fly(but I have long since gotten accustomed to that and it doesn't bother me and I'm coming from one that has had a tuner that was shift on the fly). I have run Bully dog, I didn't to my knowledge have any problems with it, it will produce some smoke, but you'll get more with the SCT especially if someone writes you a "smoke" tune. I will add this, even though you did not ask for it but it's a thing with me I always have to add it, smoke really isn't as cool as you think, less efficient, less power, and ultimately more money. Even though SCT to my knowledge doesnt have shift on the fly, I would get it now just because if you want to do more mods you will have a platform that can adjust to those mods better then the others can.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There's no such thing as a switch on the fly programmer for the 6.0L. You can only get fueling boxes which switch on the fly.

Saying SCT is the answer is like saying fuel is the answer to power problems. SCT is merely a platform, and that platform depends on the programmer making the tunes.

Research off the shelf programmers, and custom programmers. Don't just take someone's word for it because they like it. Traditionally people will say the programmer that's best is the one they happened to buy (go figure). Ask about longevity issues, driveability, shift problems, issues or quirks, mileage, warranty coverage, company policy if the tuner causes a problem, drive-train warranty (Superchips is the only company with a drive-train warranty right now but others are likely to follow), etc.

Smoke doesn't equate power in all cases. Smoke equates unburnt fuel.

Personally, given their history of bugs with new products, I'd stay away from the SCT Xcal 3 and Livewire, and stick with the XCal 2 if you go with SCT products. Many very good choices on the market these days.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
There's no such thing as a switch on the fly programmer for the 6.0L. You can only get fueling boxes which switch on the fly.
I was under the impression that the triple dog was considered a programmer as it plugs into the obd II port(which is shift on the fly) and "fueling boxes" were the modules that actually just intercepts and misrepresents data back to the computer and not change the computer programming at all itself, while there their are computer programming changes done with the triple dog just more limited then with the SCT?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
If Bully is doing that, then its news to me and it would certainly be unique since the EPROM can't be flashed while the vehicle is running. I would guess that they've loaded code to monitor the OBDII bus for a signal change and switch tables on the fly. Since we work with them as a sponsor I'll give them a shout and ask about it. I've been wrong before...

Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Well there are two ways that you are able to shift on the fly with their tuner, either have the tuner connected to the obd-II port and use the tuner to change it or use the outlook(which is also plugged to the obd-II port) and switch it off of there. But from how I'm reading thier ads when I was first looking at it, they were advertising it as a shift on the fly downloader(which I would equate that as a programmer(the device not the person) as well.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Country4.2
Senior User
Thanks for all the info guys!! I know that smoke is just unburnt fuel....but its for my cousins truck and he wants the smoke, I told him I would help him research the best product for his truck and his needs.

again thanks for all of your help

Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 PM
tboyle
New User
My question is if you do mods to the engine, upgraded compressor wheel, intake housing, removing heater bolt on 7.3 intake these allow for more increase in airflow How do these programers adjust the fuel to not run lean or rich and shorten the life of the engine. They build these programmers for stock trucks, but can they sense changes in airflow and match the correct fuel to match. Most people will do other mods in addition to a programmer.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Candrew
Junior User
So FTE Ken....have you heard of any problems with the xcalc3?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tboyle
My question is if you do mods to the engine, upgraded compressor wheel, intake housing, removing heater bolt on 7.3 intake these allow for more increase in airflow How do these programers adjust the fuel to not run lean or rich and shorten the life of the engine. They build these programmers for stock trucks, but can they sense changes in airflow and match the correct fuel to match. Most people will do other mods in addition to a programmer.
You would have to go with custom tuning to match what other upgrades you have done and I think for a 7.3 most would suggest DP. You are correct off the shelf programmers won't be able to handle those type of upgrades, so you'll have to go custom.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:42 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Call Matt @ Spartan diesel in NC and get a custom tuned SCT, use analog guages. have read alot of concerns on the Livewire-not enough R&D yet maybe..Run a HOTTT tune and get alot of black some from yuor stacks and smoke the tires right off. W/ the Dynomax tune w/ converter Locked all the time above 10MPH I can smoek fro 0-70+MPH no problem.

Only shift on the fly is not that safest and only changes the inputs to the PCM.. but on top end you cannot add fuel where the stock flash in the PCM does not have any fuel programmed.. they only change values not rewite them as the SCT does.. The fueling boxes FOOL the PCM as to what it sees as inputs,the hot tunes from matt while pull all the way to 4,600RPM.AS you upgrade parts you simply call matt,he emails you new files and reflash your PCM.. takes no more than 10 minutes from email to tire smoke!!! you can alos change your speedo reading for gear and tire changes,remove or add a speed limiter.. get the SCT from Spartan the only way to go..

Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Candrew
So FTE Ken....have you heard of any problems with the xcalc3?
Yes, on SCT's forums.

Search this Thread