Sponsored by: DP Tuner

More on the continuing saga of the Bad IDM

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 AM
ScottInTexas
Give me coffee - Or beer!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More on the continuing saga of the Bad IDM

I just spoke with the dealer who diagnosed the bad idm problem on my F350. He confirmed that, yes they plugged in a known good idm and was able, therefore, to get the scan code that told them #4 injector was bad. He said that if #4 was bad then the engine would run as though several cylinders were not firing. I can't imagine 1 cylinder causing the problems I am having. Can anyone confirm this? Isn't the ECM, or is it a PCM, responsible for scanning and displaying codes? Wouldn't it have generated a Bad IDM code? I don't know where to go with this. I guess I have to find an injector today and replace it after I test the fuel pump for proper pressure. I don't suppose that is a big deal, but am I just throwing parts at the truck till somethiing works? I guess I have no faith in the dealer and just need some supporting info from experts here.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM
beansdiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is shutting down 4 cylinders or burnt half the IDM up then you have a bad harness, no if and butts about it get it replaced. Bad injs or bad solenoids do not cause that problem and now 1 bad inj does not feel like 4 bad injs.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
One bad injector will have a slight miss, and will only feel like one injector not firing.

Can you confirm what exact codes the dealer found? Both with your current IDM plugged in, and also with their IDM plugged in.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM
ScottInTexas

Trying to get the dealer to tell me exactly what codes were retrieved from the "IDM". I guess I just have to throw an injector at it and see if that sticks.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM
ScottInTexas

Can't get a difinitive answer from the dealer. He guaranteed that if the IDM and injector #4 was replaced truck would run like new. I'm done ini. I guess I have to change the injector out. Once I have completed the tasks I will probably be told that since I am not a Ford Certified Diesel Mechanic that I did the job wrong therefore it wont be fixed. I just have to keep throwing parts at this thing till it's right. Now I have to find the special tools required to remove and install the injector. The procedure seems simple enough even if it does take many hours. What with removing oil drain plugs, diesel drain plugs freaking out to make sure there is no fuel or oil pouring into the cylinder etc.

I can't read the codes because I need a special computer to do an engine running scan. The new IDM didn't do squat. Well that's because it is a "combination of IDM and injector". Why do I get a feeling I need a bath?

Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Have the dill hole check the UVCH's first...Was It a 1316?....

Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Action4478
Have the dill hole check the UVCH's first...Was It a 1316?....
I agree, Before i found FTE, The dealership changed my IDM because they thought it was bad, turn out to be UVCH. $1,300.00 lesson.

Read this --http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-10.php Good luck.