1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: Would you build it?
yes
54.55%
no
27.27%
maybe
18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Model builders

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:09 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Model builders

How many of you guys are model builders? I've built models since I was little, and have always focused on the Fords (cars and trucks), but have many other brands as well. Anyhow, I want to build a Big Job models. More accurately, I want to kitbash a model of my '55 semi project. So, onto the problem. There has never been a single Big Job model produced, ever. The front fenders don't exist in the miniature world. I am wanting to know how many of you would build a 53-56 Ford Big Job model if the kit was available. I've talking to a resin kit maker, and he has asked for photos, and seem interested in making a 53-56 Big Job model kit. If I can get enough support for him, he would be even more interested. Any thoughts or suggestions here guys and gals.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:55 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
no model builders in here? wow, I guess the age old hobby of miniatures is really dead or dying.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:30 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When our Uncle Sam put me back in civvies in early '68, I moved from NY to Ft. Worth, TX, built F-111's for a few months and then got into modelmaking.
Most were architectural and topographic models, tho' there were a few specialty patterns and then a stint as a pattern maker.

As a boy I built the requisite AMT and Revell kits (all cars), as well as a Louie Marx model ship prototype for that company to establish a skill/age definitions. Dad had a Marx connection in NYC.

General Dynamics called me back in after a five year hiatus during which time was included building a huge topographic map down Cuernavaca, Mexico way. Within a few months of my employment as an engineering illustrator (non-union model maker) GD had swung the "Arms Deal of the Century" for which I take no small amount of credit.

Interesting classified work for Advanced Programs... I became a senior engineer before it was all over. With one foot in AP and the other in marketing F-16's, I got to travel to Europe and Asia hustling our little fighter plane. We made videos... for an early version of a video wall, cockpit mockups, models for everything, just great fun.

One of my students gave me an AMT kit of an F-100 and I made it into a '54 with an accurate depiction of crumby paint and classic mag wheels. Grandkids, girls included, have had a run at model kits. We all like cars here on Illinois Street, so my studio has about a dozen or so unfinished kits.

Let the record show then, that himmelberg has a bit of a background in professional model building and little interest in that field in this day and age. That is until one of the grandkids comes for a visit to finish a project.

I am of the opinion that anyone here who builds and maintains his or her old truck is perfectly capable of creating a scale model. If there were sufficiently great difficulty in making models, himmelberg probably would have opted out.
As a career it roughly falls in an art category with serious engineering or architectural overtones. With the advent of StereoLithography, where I am qualified on their equipment, model making has gone high tech.

So, to answer the question with far more information than is necessary, wmjoe, there is one former model builder on board.

1/25th scale, himmelberg

Old 10-07-2007, 01:39 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to build models as a kit...then pretty much quit, when the kits had just a hand-full of snap together pieces. More like a 6-piece jigsaw puzzle, than a model...

Never looked back. Started to fly remote controlled airplanes instead. Thus my name, "rcav8or" - remote control aviator.

Much more fun and enjoyable, at least to me.

But, I do have fond memories of super-detailing Don Garlits' dragsters, etc. Thread for plug wires, wire insulation for hoses, etc.

R

Old 10-07-2007, 02:20 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Hay wmjoe1953, just saw your post, i collect die cast ford trucks, i have a 53 to 55 ford COE (i think 55) diecast coca cola truck, i think its a 1.25 scale. this could be a good template unless your refering to the standard cab big job.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
As a kid I built many Ford models, now the die cast are so much easier to collect. I must have over 250 Ford cars/trucks diecasts including most years of Mustangs, Fairlanes, F100`s, SuperCruizers F650`s and Ford GT`s.
It`s a bummer that the heavies aren`t widely available, I have only a few n mostly from the Ford dealership displays.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:02 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Whoa. I am into R/C trucks (no room here for airplanes, darn it). I have been around the real 48-6? Ford trucks all my life. I like scale replicas. I have a few model kits (barely started, collecting dust). My biggest curiousity is, though, there has never been a Big Job model produced, and I am curious as to whether or not a model builder, or Ford Enthusiast would consider buying and or building a Big Job model, if it were available. The resin kit maker I have been talking with would be ok with building a set of Big Job fenders just for me, but I think it would be neat to have them available to everyone. My opinion, I may be wrong, but I really do think it would be neat. To answer the COE question, I am looking for a conventional, but the guy that does the kit said he was considering starting a line of the old Ford truck kits. They're resin, so it would probably require another model to convert, but it would be neat. I'll ask him if he'd want a COE sample too. rcav8tor, I do agree that the modern models seem to lack the same style they did back in the day (much like the real cars do to), but I have noticed that some resin makers are reporducing some of the classics, and even the big model companies seem to be noticing the lack of interest, at least it kind of looks that way.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:48 PM
frigerator
Elder User
I use to build model cars and trucks. We had a contest at the company where I worked. I built the famous big foot. Took 1st and got a jacket. I haven't built anything for awhile. I have an old f-3 f-3 plane that has working prop, landing gear and sliding canopy that is still in the box. I'll fix er up one of these days

Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I would like to find a model of a 56 pickup that I know they made at one time.I do have one of a 53 f100, I think it would be great if one of the company's would do a 56 panel as I do have a 53 harley davidson edition f100 still in the box. I would welcome a big job as well. I used to assemble models when I was a kid and believe that is what sparked my interest in old cars and trucks, it just so much cheaper to build the models. If you check out my gallery there is a wood model of a 50 f1 that I built taking the detail from a plastic model.
John

Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
56panelford, all I can say is HOLY F!@#ING S!@# that is one amazing wooden replica. The detail is phenominal. You cut out some Big Job fenders in wood, and we'll send em over to the resin guy to make em up. Seriously though, that is an amazing model, I would say that it should be classified as not just art, but fine art.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Originally Posted by wmjoe1953
I would say that it should be classified as not just art, but fine art.
Well, if it was a '51...

Nice work! I've seen some other things, planes, etc, done like that...amazes me, knowing how much goes into one! That's one of the best I've seen!

How big is it? No real reference point in the picture, unless those are 185X13 tires...

R

Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Nice work!! John, I see a Woodie wagon in the future.

I had several Semi truck models back in my childhood, like the "movin on" "Detroit Diesel drag truck", Mack, etc... Haven't done one since.

Last edited by havi; 10-07-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Just got an e-mail from the resin guy...His name is Brad. Anyhow, he informs me that he ordered up a 55 pick up kit (assuming it's the 1:24 scale one, it's the only 55 I can think of). He has asked me to go take several pictures of the front of the fire truck, and my semi. He wants to see the fender opening, and the wide face of the Big Jobs. He says he doesn't have time to go into prduction with it right now, but will build me the parts to let me demo them basically. I'll see how it goes, and will put up photos if it works out. Hoping they turn out really well, and then maybe (or more accurately, finally) the model world will have a pretty good show of mid fifties Ford trucks. Who knows, maybe the Big Job kit will get enough attention, and he could do up some ranging from the 48 on up to the 56.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Building models is what got me into the bigger cars and trucks. When I was a kid, I built models all the time. I also collected models and model kits. I primarily concentrated on commercial/emergency vehicles.

I've been around to almost all of the model car shows on the West Coast and have won many awards, including being published several times in the two popular model car magazines.

However, when marriage and a child came, I had to shelf all of the models and projects. Less than a year ago, I sold 99% of my model collection (over 1,000 kits) to buy my 1937 Chrysler Airflow. The kits were in storage for at least five years and did me no good.

I still kept all of the 48-52 Ford truck kits, including a resin COE and two Panel trucks, which I will build when the time allows.

By the way, check with F&F Resin, as well as Model Truck and Fire Apparatus Co.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I too built models as a teen. I remember the first 3 in 1 kits that came out, a 59 ford was the first I built. I put my heart and soul into my models, primarily custom rods, spending as much as a year of spare time on one vehicle. They had full working suspension and steering and minute details right down to valve stems on the wheels and shift linkage on the transmission.
I won best of show 4 years in a row at one show, until I was asked to be a judge rather than a contestant to give someone else a shot.
I have a pile of kits sitting in my spare room right now including 3 56 F100s and 3 55 Panels earmarked to become a rendition of Gracie.
There are 5 RC airplanes hanging on the ceiling in there too, along with a stack of airplane kits and engines. My wife was the first woman to solo in our RC club and it was with a plane she built herself. I built flying models since I was 6 long before plastic car kits came along. I also worked part time in a hobby shop when I went back to college.
I have never gotten into building stock vehicles or big rigs, but scale modeler magazine (which I still subscribe to) has a big rig column every month. The Germans seem to be fond of big rigs, so there are a number of kits produced there.
Wm, remind your guy that the F100 kit has a chopped top, so he doesn't prototype it that way for a scale offering.

Quick Reply: Model builders