6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How to get the most MPG's? (05) F250

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:50 PM
bigjohnsonzc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to get the most MPG's? (05) F250

K- So ive been doing my reserch and have learned that for my truck the SCT tunner is the best way to go, but for the MPG's, is it? Im sure it is but i do like to get people riled up too...... and ive heard that the SCT X3 is the most used insted of the SCT livewire, which would be the best for what im looking for. Or would it really be that much of a difference? ALSO i was reading about some guys are blocking off the EGR. Does that increase my MPG's? If i tune my truck doesnt that bypass the EGR anyways, no? Should i block it off or just leave it alone. Will it really matter...

I already have an Intake(K&N)
Turbo back exhaust, 4" and a 5"tip
.....(Maybe larger injectors) not to sure.....

Not to sure what else is done to it, bought it about a year ago and love it but my MPG's are around 16 at 70ish on the freeway. i think thats a lil bit low but i could be wrong.

I do have a 52 gallon tank so every mile i increase would make a big difference.

Please.........HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
A power elbow can help somewhat, I also beleive the zoodad mod can help a lil bit, some have even said synthetic oil has made a difference. Fuel addtives as well.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by a-rod
A power elbow can help somewhat
I really think evidence that the power elbow really does any good is anecdotal, adds a nice look under the hood, but really not much more in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 PM
50calmike
Elder User
I just switched to synthetic and added a tonneau, and I'll be heading to Canada in a few days probably about 600 miles one way I'll post when I get back. My best to date was 18.3mpg.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 PM
bigjohnsonzc
Junior User
(50calmike)Yea i believe a tonneau would help out, but even then i know a lot of guys who dont have one and stil get 18+... i think my best is 17+ but that was when i first bought it.. I do konw that if i clean my K&N filter that would help too. I was driving from San Diego going to WA so i got a lot to studie when it came to MPG...

but still want more ideas, you know?

(A-ROD)I looked up a POWER ELBOW Not to bad, if it wasnt so dam expencive i would be more opt to get it ASAP, but now i will just wait a lil while....

Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
Do an EGR blocker by replacing your turbo up-pipe with the sneaky pipe from Elite Diesel, if your truck is a 2005 and newer. This pipe removes the restriction in the up-pipe with the scoop blocking almost half the exhaust to the turbo inlet. I can feel the difference. So far I have done is EGR up-pipe with the delete plate, Zoodad mods, and cat back 4" exhaust. Anymore suggestions on what I should do next?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 PM
bigjohnsonzc
Junior User
Now when you block off the EGR, does it through a EGR code?

What you driving, first. I think you should go cool air intake, and after that it depends on what you want to accomplish.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:07 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,591 Likes on 1,802 Posts
I can't believe that no one has yet made the comment (so I will) .....

"Ditch the K&N filter"

Lots of studies / experience has shown that the stock air intake gives you all you need for air flow unless you heavily mod for big horsepower. K&N doesn't filter as well and you get zero bene's. Do not risk your turbo w/ this filter. If you do heavily mod, there are better intakes to install.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:45 AM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about the basics like proper tire inflation, balance and regular rotation. Regular oil changes. Get rid of any extra weight that you don't really need, ditto drag causing stuff. I'm not sure if a bug deflector helps, bed cover will. A Fluidamper is supposed to help some. I have the Xcal 2 from Spartan, but since I have an older truck they need to tweak my tunes to find what works to give me better economy.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
hangon2me
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigjohnsonzc
Now when you block off the EGR, does it through a EGR code?

What you driving, first. I think you should go cool air intake, and after that it depends on what you want to accomplish.
My truck is a 2005 and I get no codes or lights with my EGR blocked off. I even un-plugged it for fun and still no lights. I left it plugged in so my computor thinks everthing is there. I kept my stock air box and I cut a hole behind my grill to let cold air into the stock inlet, like ram air. I have heard many problems with after market intake boxes and I am not after big horsepower just more MPG and longer life for my 6.0L.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:21 PM
ToughBuiltFord
FTE Sponsor
Like people have already said, start with the basics (tire inflation, regular oil changes, etc.) They methods are cheap and effective. If you want to make an investment, then I recommend getting a tonneau cover and a tunner. As with anything else, you just need to pick one out that best fits your needs.

You can check out hard, roll up, folding, tonneau covers here: http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/10A50174.aspx

(they eliminate drag, requiring less power, and give you more mpgs)

You can also read up on customer reviews about tunners and programmers here: http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/performance-chips/20A50211A1.aspx

(they reprogram your truck's factory settings, giving you a boost in hp and more mpgs) MmmMMmm Mmmmmm, more power is always a good thing!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:47 PM
bigjohnsonzc
Junior User
yea i guess i could do more reserch on the whole tonneau cover thing, never really liked the whole look (on most trucks) but for more MPG's i think i could eventually like it... I do ALWAYS change my oil on a regular basis, and same with the tire inflation and rotation. I mean why not thats only common sence when it comes to your money, you want your tires to last as long as they can.... THEY SURE ARNT CHEEP! And on the tunner, yea of course i will deff. get one but its just between the SCT live wire or the Xcal3...... really want to know why i havent heard much about livewire, (good nore bad) ....

(bismic) Thanks for the tip on the K&N filter. yea i see what you are talking about. It came with the truck when i bought it.... i dont mind it. I do know there is a difference from when its just stock and with a K&N. (atleast on my 01 ranger i did). but ... i will deff will think about it.....

Old 10-04-2007, 03:09 PM
efoster_01
Senior User
On a forced induction engine like the 6.0 combined with the excellent design of the OEM Donaldson power-core filter, the OEM setup will support over 500RWHP and is incredibly safer for your engine and turbo. As to the Xcall live-wire issue, the xcall and regular gages is a better option. The live-wire is somewhat flaky at times. In my 6.0 I could have had either and I used the xcall.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM
sledhauler07
New User
So all this is great but does the Xcal "electronically" unhook the EGR so I don't have to unplug it??? and just for fun, if I ever got 18 MPG from my new 07 with the tuner and zoodad (and proper tire inflation but no ton cover) I do chetah flips. ave for me is like 12-13 !!!

next is the exhaust. Thinking about cat back since the down pipe restriction makes it hard to put anything bigger than 3 1/2"... but want to use the cat delete pipe. Anybody do that yet? Whats the point of replacing the stock 3 1/2" downpipe with another the same size... i must be missing something and thanks ahead for any imput before I buy the exhaust.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 PM
bigjohnsonzc
Junior User
i have read about the livewire being a lil bit flakey indeed. but i just like the idea of knowing my temps, having them in front of me all on one screen. but if it doesnt work to well then i might just have to wait till all the buggs get takin care of first then figure out which one i should get... but as of now looks like the Xcall is the one... i heard there is an X3 is this true? Will this programmer through any codes for me? about how much more MPG will this get me?

Quick Reply: How to get the most MPG's? (05) F250