6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:37 PM
NORTHLAND06
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 05 CO King Ranch
I have yet to own an 08' (I have ordered one though). I have read numerous threads reguarding this new motor and the poor fuel mileage. Here are my 2 cents worth...

A: Heavy Duty, Definition: Power to spare, pull anything, more GVW than GM (just had to note that)

B: Instead of expensive mods that can ruin your motor and truck, transfer your excess money from mods to a larger fuel tank and if that isn't enough add another one in the bed of your truck i.e. tool box transfer flow

C: If bitching about mileage from mileage from a heavy duty truck, then why the heck did you want one??? Go buy a Prius or smoething along those lines.

Yes I do know what it's like to have high fuel bills I own a Moving and Storage Company. Our trucks have Cat's in them and get no more than 6 MPG empty or loaded, we also have a couple chevy with the 350 V8's in them and we are lucky to see 10 MPG EMPTY, and they can't tow what these new trucks can!!

AS for me I'll take a hit in the pocket book just to know that I can pull down a house and then some. WAY TO GO NAVISTAR AND FORD!!!
I agree with KING RANCH that if going to wine about mpg's go buy 4cyl little tiny car and it will get good mpg's. You also got remeber that you are moving 8,000 to 9,000lbs truck around and you think you are going to get good mpg get real and wake up and smell the rosses you are not going to get that. The SD is built to pull a small house or in my case a small apt. around.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM
JaybirdT
Freshman User
I agree its funny to listen to all the only 15mpg complaints on here. The EPA made the tighter regulations not Ford, if it was up to them you might still see the old reliable 7.3 who knows. I suspect alot of people that constantly complain are the ones I see on my way to work every day driving an F350 crew cab towing or hauling absolutely nothing. I use my 06 everyday as a work vehicle not for the mileage but to get the job done its the price you pay driving a 6000lb plus vehicle regardless if its gas or diesel.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I have to agree with king ranch.

These new trucks are good trucks, the milage is hit from many diffrent angles, the weight of these new trucks, EPA requirements, the demand for more power by the consumers.

Come on, any one who says bring the 7.3 back, i would like to see the milage of a 7.3 pumped to 350 hp and 650 Ft lbs. Lets derate the 6.4 to the hp ratings of the old 7.3 and see what kind of fuel numbers we get.

The time will soon come were we look back at the 6.4 and wish the new motors got what the 6.4 got. IMO

Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Fordsonly
New User
Originally Posted by 05 CO King Ranch
I have yet to own an 08' (I have ordered one though). I have read numerous threads reguarding this new motor and the poor fuel mileage. Here are my 2 cents worth...

A: Heavy Duty, Definition: Power to spare, pull anything, more GVW than GM (just had to note that)

B: Instead of expensive mods that can ruin your motor and truck, transfer your excess money from mods to a larger fuel tank and if that isn't enough add another one in the bed of your truck i.e. tool box transfer flow

C: If bitching about mileage from mileage from a heavy duty truck, then why the heck did you want one??? Go buy a Prius or smoething along those lines.

Yes I do know what it's like to have high fuel bills I own a Moving and Storage Company. Our trucks have Cat's in them and get no more than 6 MPG empty or loaded, we also have a couple chevy with the 350 V8's in them and we are lucky to see 10 MPG EMPTY, and they can't tow what these new trucks can!!

AS for me I'll take a hit in the pocket book just to know that I can pull down a house and then some. WAY TO GO NAVISTAR AND FORD!!!
I agree with EVERY word. I'm so tired of all the whining about mpg.Some people are NEVER going to get it. I average 16.5 - 17.5 overall city/highway mix.65mph on the freeway.F350 Fx4 cc lwb srw 3.73 rear.3500miles on the ticker.Any one comparing the 6.4 to the v10 is just COMPLETELY CLUELESS.A v10 will never get my mpg or PULL even close to the 6.4.Keep the boost low and your mpg will go up.I'm new to this site and it seems to be more of a COMPLAINT site against Ford than a enthusiast site.There seems to be few enthusiast on this site

Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Bagger
Elder User
For $6200 extra it better haul more!

I get 12 mixed on average I would guess since I have had my truck gas has been equal or less then diesel. It would be about $.30 difference since I got my truck (now it is almost $.50).

Figure 3.00 Diesel 2.70 gas

Mixed 12 MPG so .23 per mile that's at 75 -80 when on the tollway
Mixed you get 17 (higher then most that are posting).18 per mile.

But I get my oil changed at the dealer for $29 about half a cent a mile 5k mile interval for both
oil change on a smoker has to be $75 so that's 1.5 cents a mile

Now we are at .23 for a gasser and .19.5 Now add in additive, other filters and i bet we v10ers are at most 2 cents a mile more so at 100000 you have saved $2000 BUT that is really a 4000 expense.

I am assuming you did not finance the extra 6K for the motor 6K but at 48 months 6% well that is another $800

Can a 6.4 tow more then a v10 sure but can a v10 tow my 6K pound load with out problems yep

I love my truck it is perfect for me and what I want to do with it. To say a v10 cannot tow is just wrong, and a PSD will save money is not really true

Look at this site how many times have people said get the smoker it will pay for itself with fuel savings so people take that advice and now everyone is saying fuel MPG should not be a consideration or the 6.4 will to more but if you do not need to tow more why still spend the money?

Now I have to go back to work while I was typing this the bridge was left unattended

Last edited by Bagger; 10-05-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Champ198
Elder User
I'm getting 17.2 hwy unloaded and mileage is beginning to creep higher. (using the Motorcraft PM-22-A cetane boost) Getting 15 avg mpg around town. My 05 F150 4x4 lariat could only dream of such good mileage on a good day. The 6.4 PSD makes my old 5.4 seem like a lethargic carbed 4-cylinder. It tows my new 5th wheel like its not even back there - lots of power to spare. Did I buy it for mileage? Not really, mileage is important, but I bought it tow a big honkin 5th wheel ! I also wanted a Ford. Ever go to a campground? Take a look around at how many Ford Super Duty trucks (regardless of model year) are sitting in front of the 5th wheels.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 PM
fordfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by Champ198
I'm getting 17.2 hwy unloaded and mileage is beginning to creep higher. (using the Motorcraft PM-22-A cetane boost) Getting 15 avg mpg around town. My 05 F150 4x4 lariat could only dream of such good mileage on a good day. The 6.4 PSD makes my old 5.4 seem like a lethargic carbed 4-cylinder. It tows my new 5th wheel like its not even back there - lots of power to spare. Did I buy it for mileage? Not really, mileage is important, but I bought it tow a big honkin 5th wheel ! I also wanted a Ford. Ever go to a campground? Take a look around at how many Ford Super Duty trucks (regardless of model year) are sitting in front of the 5th wheels.
champ, that's the best I've heard sofar, are you all stock, 3.73 no doubt, I'll have to try some PM22,been using PS. you went from 5.4 to 6.4, you feel like a king now don't cha.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordsonly
I agree with EVERY word. I'm so tired of all the whining about mpg.Some people are NEVER going to get it. I average 16.5 - 17.5 overall city/highway mix.65mph on the freeway.F350 Fx4 cc lwb srw 3.73 rear.3500miles on the ticker.Any one comparing the 6.4 to the v10 is just COMPLETELY CLUELESS.A v10 will never get my mpg or PULL even close to the 6.4.Keep the boost low and your mpg will go up.I'm new to this site and it seems to be more of a COMPLAINT site against Ford than a enthusiast site.There seems to be few enthusiast on this site
Since I am shopping and there are so many platforms.........
What are the tow ratings of the 6.4 chassis compared with the V10 chassis?
My usual load is 10k but I have nearly doubled that on occasion.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 AM
stroke this
Senior User
I Hear Allot Of Complaing About Mpg Of The New Trucks; If Fuel Was Not 3+dollars A Gallon I Believe That It Would Not Be An Issue. Why Dont We Spend All The Spare Time We Have Writing Letters To The Government Instead Of Each Other. I Bet That If Congress Or Whoever The Hell Makes It Ok To Charge 3.50 Per Gallon On Diesel Fuel Were To Start Getting Letters, We Would Get Allot More Accomplished Than We Are Bashing Ford Motor Company Or Any Other Auto Company For That Matter.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM
richfaa
Elder User
With the wide variation in the way we use and drive these diesels all the MPG post are meaningless except to the poster. We use these things all over the country in all kinds of driving conditions..how can we compare anything. My 08 6.4l weighs in at over 9K. We pull a 13K + 5th wheel all over the country..High country, low country, Deserts, Plains, etc...how can we compare, Right now we have 65 hours on a brand new motor and on a 60 mile round trip on interstates in Northern Ohio, not towing, running 63 MPH, at around 2000 RPM's with the boost varying between @9 to 11 depending on the grade we did 16.4MPG and that means absolutely nothing to anyone but me.. These new Diesel motors the 6.4 included due to the new fuel and emission standards will not do as well MPG Wise as the ones of a few years ago.. we all should know that..why do we complain..IMO most of the reports of the low MPG numbers
in the 6.4l are primarily due to where we drive them and how we drive them.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by saskdiesel
Since I am shopping and there are so many platforms.........
What are the tow ratings of the 6.4 chassis compared with the V10 chassis?
My usual load is 10k but I have nearly doubled that on occasion.
I dont know the set up your looking for but here is two site's, one with coventional towing rates and one with fifth wheel towig rates.

www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/08RVttscltrp20Aug07.pdf
www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/08RVttscltrp21Aug07.pdf

Let me know if this helps.

Last edited by SANDDEMON08; 10-07-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
fordfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
I have to agree with king ranch.

These new trucks are good trucks, the milage is hit from many diffrent angles, the weight of these new trucks, EPA requirements, the demand for more power by the consumers.

Come on, any one who says bring the 7.3 back, i would like to see the milage of a 7.3 pumped to 350 hp and 650 Ft lbs. Lets derate the 6.4 to the hp ratings of the old 7.3 and see what kind of fuel numbers we get.

The time will soon come were we look back at the 6.4 and wish the new motors got what the 6.4 got. IMO
First, I think this 08 is the best I've had, but let me tell you this, i was driving the DMax 6.6 tuned to 300hp and 650tq, about the same comparable truck I have now BUT it consistantly avg. 16 mpg empty on the road. Now I don't think this 6.4 is tuned right....yet. my 7.3 on level 3-4 edge got 15+ so why then Is it NOT OK to Bitch about the mpg on this new 6.4???
I'm sorry, no, not every truck is hooked up all the time to max weight and pullin. So you guys make it sound as if you should not own a rig unless you heavy haulin. Come on, your always always always hooked to something???

Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by fordfish
First, I think this 08 is the best I've had, but let me tell you this, i was driving the DMax 6.6 tuned to 300hp and 650tq, about the same comparable truck I have now BUT it consistantly avg. 16 mpg empty on the road. Now I don't think this 6.4 is tuned right....yet. my 7.3 on level 3-4 edge got 15+ so why then Is it NOT OK to Bitch about the mpg on this new 6.4???
I'm sorry, no, not every truck is hooked up all the time to max weight and pullin. So you guys make it sound as if you should not own a rig unless you heavy haulin. Come on, your always always always hooked to something???
I guess its like comparing apples to oranges. I never tow large amounts all the time. My complaint is that these motors are not compariable to the old motors on many levels.

Chevy,Dodge and ford are all have milage issues with there new engines. Chevy is doing better than the other two, but i have seen no 6.6 LMM Duramax's in my area get the numbers you are claiming. I have two good friends with them, and there doing better like 12.5 to 13.6 in town were im only gettin 11.5 but big deal. Im sure in time they will all get better.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
I dont know the set up your looking for but here is two site's, one with coventional towing rates and one with fifth wheel towig rates.

www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/08RVttscltrp20Aug07.pdf
www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/08RVttscltrp21Aug07.pdf

Let me know if this helps.
This is what I was looking for, thank you.
But now that I have printed that off I have more questions.
The SRW F350 crew cab is rated at the same 12 500 tow whether its a gasser or a diesel?
Whats up with that?
I thought the diesel would give me another #6000-#8000 to play with.
Is it because of the transmission and axles?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:23 AM
42MTI
New User
You know it amazes me how some people assume that because you don't like to mileage, that you can't afford the truck. I would also bet that some of these people don't even own a 6.4.
Well here is my deal. I have long been a chevy guy. My other truck is a 03 duramax with 150K miles, I bought the new 6.4 to replace it but haven't sold the chevy yet because I can't keep the ford out of the shop. I can certainly afford the diesel, but that doesn't mean I want to. My chevy averages 19-20 empty, the ford 8-9. Towing the Duramax gets 15-17 the 6.4 gets 6. Yes I drive a little fast, but actually I drive the D-max alot faster because it doesn't have a limiter. I must say that I REALLY like the ford. But it does irritate me to know that every time I fill up $75 worth or so, I know the it is costing twice as much as it did with the D-max.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage