6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Storing fuel additives in your truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:21 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,511 Likes on 1,746 Posts
Storing fuel additives in your truck

Some time ago there was a post about the best way to store fuel additives in the truck. The problem was that the original bottles, once opened, tend to leak (not only do you not want to waste the stuff, but the smell is hard to get rid of). After reading the previous thread, I decided to use aluminum MSR fuel bottles (an idea from one of the other FTE members). I have used these quite a bit in the past for storing Coleman fuel for stoves and such while camping, hunting, etc. These MSR bottles never leaked, so it seemed like a great idea.

Recently, I began to add 5% Biodiesel for lubricity along with the fuel additive (a lot of good additives to choose from - I chose Stanadyne Performance Formula). After deciding to add the Biodiesel, I researched what to use for storing the ½ gallon of Bio. I read an article that said the fuel would react with aluminum. I then began to wonder if the Stanadyne did also.

Last week, I contacted Stanadyne and asked them if aluminum was compatible w/ their product and, if not, what would be acceptable to store it in. I had been looking at an HDPE fuel bottle sold by Trangia that was recommended for Kerosene storage, so I asked them about that product as well. They took some time to run this past their technical team and gave me the answer below:

Our chemical consultant came back and said to add aluminum along with zinc and copper to the list of alloys that are not compatible with Stanadyne diesel fuel additives. They will degrade the fuel and additives should not be stored in or used with products (pipes, fittings, etc) made of those alloys.

If the Trangia HDPE is approved for use with kerosene then it will certainly work for ULSD. Any fluorosilicone container is the best choice, but EP (ethylene-propylene) is not advised, and polyurethane rates below average as well.

I was VERY impressed w/ Stanadyne’s responsiveness. They seem to be a customer oriented company. Their Performance Formula may not rate real high on Lubricity, but there are other benefits of fuel additives (corrosion protection, water demulsification, cetane boost, anti-gel, etc). So far I am sold on the blend of Biodiesel and Stanadyne for a fuel additive for the long term care of the injector system. The truck does seem to run a little quieter with the Bio. Recently I read that a company was going to begin to sell their Biodiesel in quart containers. Sounds pretty good if the price stays close to the same as at the pump - $3.00 per gallon.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 PM
jimh425
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand some degradation, but I'd be shocked if the small amount of time that the fuel is in the bottle causes an issue.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,511 Likes on 1,746 Posts
I tend to agree w/ you, but I do see some pitting in the MSR aluminum fuel bottle after using it for 6 months or so. For now, I have switched to the HDPE since I hope to keep this truck working well for a very long time.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I use the cans from the berryman fuel additive for gas engines. Perfect size in that 1 can is used for the tank for refills.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bismic,

I am not sure if they have Sinclair gas stations out there but here in Vegas all of the Sinclair stations sell B5 Bio. Might be worth checking out.

The following users liked this post: