Oil & Lubrication  

Royal purple

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Royal purple

How good is this oil? Ive seen alot of good things about it on power block on spike tv. What do u guys think?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've also heard good things about it, don't know anyone personally that uses it. But just from reading on the net it seems to be good?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
I have been using it for the past 40,000 miles. 5w20 synthetic I love it. I just wanted to c what u guys thought of it

Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
Oh, I see. What did you notice with the rp as opposed to what you used before? whenever i get a vehicle that is a good candidate(not my 37 year old truck with a bunch of leaks), I will probably go with the royal purple. It's pretty expensive isn't it?

Mike

Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Nothing special about the stuff.....UOA's have been average at best. It consists of GrpIII and PAO base which is your average joe blow run of the mill synthetic you can pick up at any Walmart.

Last edited by xtrford; 09-27-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
I like it better. My engine seems to us less oil, but not by far. I think it is worth it. The people on powerblock love the rp motor oil. Is it better then brands like mobil one or penzoil?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
I'm not sure which ones are better, but I truly believe that no matter what you go with, if you change the oil when you are supposed to it should be fine. I've only heard stay away from pennzoil and quaker state, no personal experience though. My mechanic has many guys with lincoln tc's that have over 300K miles and have always had regular dino oil. But I could see how the extended drain intervals could be nice with synthetic. To each his own I say!

Mike

Old 09-27-2007, 11:18 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
you can get extended intervals with diesel rated oil since it has a better additive package to deal with the diesel conditions!! I run my 15w40 for 5000 miles and have gone longer, not to mention the high zinc and phosphorus content to help in extreme conditions!! Don't forget to weigh the advertising hype they are getting paid to push it if you hear about it on T.V.!! Really just pick an oil, pick a change schedule and stick to it and you should be fine!! And don't add all those supposed additive deals that is another marketing ploy that sells product but always doesn't deliver!!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:39 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
How good is this oil? Ive seen alot of good things about it on power block on spike tv. What do u guys think?
I think power block is basically an infomercial, as are a lot of similar programs on spike and speed.

As others have stated, the oil is good, but not extraordinary.

Jim

Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
advertisers can and will say whatever they want about thier product unless they are fda approved...oils are obviously not... when folks have that kind of freedom it becomes a marketing free for all w/o room for integrity.

It depends on $$ ...if you don't mind throwing the bills away for a false sense of security then buy the most expensive stuff out there. IMO Your best off looking for an oil that does not meet the new cj-4 api desegnation as some rotella and like products do as well as all on road auto oil...the stuf is nearly zink free...older rotella and off road/racing type oils may not meet these requirments and still have the zddp.

see the new thread for details and some evidence or research and post your own in support or against.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:52 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
I just hear alot of people using it like when i go to the drag way, etc. Mike y do people say to stay away from pennzoil and quaker state?

Old 09-30-2007, 01:42 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
i agree with those guys...i know a few professional mechanics who swear they can tell an engine that consistently uses pennzoil...I had a job tearing down engines at a builders shop in HS and he didn't like penzzoil and specifically told people he wouldn't warranty the engine if they used it....and cheap filters.

he was kind of a codgy old fart....who knows.

I've always liked valvoline and castroil etc but now want the zink

Old 09-30-2007, 05:28 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Pennzoil is good stuff......but so is quacker state, castrol, and valvoline. Go with what is on sale because all of them will easily go 5K miles no problem.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:12 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
I just hear alot of people using it like when i go to the drag way, etc. Mike y do people say to stay away from pennzoil and quaker state?
I'm not really sure, heard something about sludging up or something? I don't really believe that but i'm still partial to valvoline and castrol regardless.

Mike

Old 09-30-2007, 08:25 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by xtrford
Nothing special about the stuff.....UOA's have been average at best. It consists of GrpIII and PAO base which is your average joe blow run of the mill synthetic you can pick up at any Walmart.
There's no GrpIII in Royal Purple-PAO only.

Quick Reply: Royal purple