Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Pa exhaust ?????

Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
78workhorse
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pa exhaust ?????

Hey there fellow Pa'ers. I'm putting a new dual exhaust on my 78 shortbed. I had it made at a parts store.(saved a couple bucks) Everything lines up good until the sections after the mufflers.The arch over the axle is too high then too low, so I was thinking of bringing it out in front of the rear wheels just behind the cab. Is this still legal in our great state or have they foiled this plan for me.
Several years ago I seem to remember someone told me it had to exit the rear of the truck. I can probably get the pipes fixed right, but I could have it done right now if I bring it out the side in front of the wheels. Anyone know for sure?

Old 09-24-2007, 11:36 AM
96P_Stroke4x4
Smokin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
before i put my stacks on, i had the exhaust going out the side in front of the rear wheel, no problem. i believe the law is that the exhaust must be routed either behind the cab or above. i haven't had any problems inspecting with my exhaust setups, but my truck is diesel. i don't think you would have a problem as long as the exhaust is behind the cab.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
From the vehicle code found on the PA DMV website. There could be more but I gotta get back to work! Here's the website:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml

§ 4523. Exhaust systems, mufflers and noise control.
(a) Compliance with established sound levels.--Every motor vehicle operated on a highway shall be
constructed, equipped, maintained and operated so as not to exceed the sound level for the vehicle as
prescribed in regulations promulgated by the department. The test procedures and instrumentation to be
utilized shall also be established by regulation.
(b) Compliance with exhaust requirements.--In addition to any requirements established under
sections 4531 (relating to emission control systems) and 4532 (relating to smoke control for diesel-powered
motor vehicles), every motor vehicle shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated so as to
prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the
driver or passengers.
(c) Mufflers and related equipment.--Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler or other
effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation and no muffler or
exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device.
(d) Unauthorized modification of equipment.--No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle above the
maximum levels permitted under subsection (a) or violate the provisions of subsection (b). Headers and
side exhausts are permitted provided the vehicle meets all the requirements of this section.
(e) Fire equipment and racing vehicles.--This section does not apply to fire equipment or to racing
vehicles being operated in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under a permit issued by
local authorities.

§ 4531. Emission control systems.
(a) Compliance with established maximum levels.--No vehicle manufactured in compliance with
the requirements of the Clean Air Act (77 Stat. 392, 42 U.S.C. § 1857), or any amendments or supplements
thereto, shall have emissions exceeding the maximum permissible levels prescribed by law.
(b) Limitation on alteration of system.--No person shall disable, change or alter the emission
control system of a vehicle. Original emission control components or replacements in kind shall be present
and functioning on all vehicles. A subject vehicle may be equipped with any added components which are
designed to improve emissions. It is unlawful for a subject vehicle that is not in compliance with the
preceding requirements to be operated under its own power until a reinspection at an official emission
inspection station establishes its full compliance, provided that it shall be lawful for the vehicle to be
operated under its own power by the vehicle owner while en route to the official emission inspection station
for a reinspection.
(c) Limitation on sale and operation of vehicles with altered systems.--No person shall knowingly
sell or operate a vehicle whose emission control system has been disabled, changed or altered from its
original design specifications, except for in-kind replacement of system components and added components
which are designed to improve emissions.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:19 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Found some more on pacode.com:

§ 175.105. Exhaust systems.
(a) Condition of exhaust system. All components of the exhaust system shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.110 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Exhaust system requirements. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or a passenger, in addition to the requirements of this title for emission control systems and smoke control for a diesel-powered vehicle.

(1) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device, and a muffler may not show evidence of external repair.

(2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels).

(3) Headers and side exhaust are permitted if the vehicle meets the requirements of this section.

(4) An exposed exhaust system shall be equipped with an adequate heat shield or protective system.

(5) An exhaust system shall extend and discharge completely to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed, except for the following:

(i) Heavy trucks or truck tractors. The exhaust system of every heavy truck and truck tractor shall discharge to the atmosphere at a location to the rear of the cab or, if the exhaust projects above the cab, at a location near the rear of the cab.

(ii) Gasoline powered buses, including school buses. The exhaust system of a bus powered by a gasoline engine shall discharge to the atmosphere at or within 6 inches forward of the rearmost part of the bus. Until June 15, 1998, the tailpipe of school buses may extend to, but not beyond the body limits on the left side of the school bus within 60 inches of the left rear wheel as measured from the center of the wheel axis.

(iii) Buses, including school buses, powered by fuels other than gasoline. The exhaust system of a bus using fuels other than gasoline shall discharge to the atmosphere either at or within 15 inches forward of the rearmost part of the vehicle; or to the rear of all doors or windows designed to be opened, except windows designed to be opened solely as emergency exits. Until June 15, 1998, the tailpipe of school buses may extend to, but not beyond the body limits on the left side of the school bus within 60 inches of the left rear wheel as measured from the center of the wheel axis.

(c) Exemption. A firefighting vehicle is exempt from this section.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
78workhorse
Senior User
WOW!!! I gotta headache after reading all that. Thats some detective work 2000. The section about HEAVY trucks sounds good but I don't think they would consider an F150 a heavy truck. I'm going to call the guy who does my inspections to see what he says too. You have one hell of a job if you could look all that up and post it. Congrats!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
It didn't take much. I have a few websites set as my favorites that pertain to vehicle codes, not to mention google is the greatest! When I moved here from AZ, I read up on inspection laws until I couldn't take it anymore (my truck barely meets the bumper height restriction)....

Old 09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
soondg
Postmaster
I'm sitting here with my buddy who has an inspection station. He said as long as it's past the cab it's okay.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:56 PM
f150_514ci
Senior User
anywhere past the cab and 3 or 5 inches (not sure)from the rear tire

Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 AM
78workhorse
Senior User
Past the cab is what my guy said too. After looking at it for while I think I'm just going to go straight out the back. The "tail pipes" the made our way wrong, but I have a couple pieces of some what straight pipe I can use to get me back there. It's a shortbed 4x4 and both pipes run down the passenger side then branch off after the mufflers. It would be too much work to get back to the drivers side around the drive shaft. BTW anybody looking to put a little sound from under your truck I highly recomend the Cherry bomb Turbo II mufflers. They have a great sound but not like your running straight out of the block with them. I think my neighbors will appreciate it when I get home late at night or leave early in the morning since I've been running with just 1 rotted exhaust pipe and 1 missing all together for about 3 months now. Thanks for the assistance.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:18 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an issue last year with exhaust, supposedly, they had changed the law regarding certain things, such as the "so long as it's past the cab" thing. I had duals that dumped out under the bed, and it "wasn't legal". Had to get it out from underneath. I dunno if that's a legit thing or not, perhaps they were just giving me the run around, but they said it was illegal now.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:22 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
I'm sure it changes with each station. I've taken my truck to some places and they tell me I needed mud flaps on the front tires or some other bogus thing and that he wouldn't pass me. I go to another place and they'd shake their heads when I mentioned it and would pass me. Seems like the inspection process is kind of a joke if you ask me. Then again, I'm coming from a state (AZ) where they don't do inspections. As long as you pass emissions out there, you're fine.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Seems like the inspection process is kind of a joke if you ask me. Then again, I'm coming from a state (AZ) where they don't do inspections. As long as you pass emissions out there, you're fine.
Man, it's good to hear that from an "outside observer". Some inspection mechanics will stick to the letter of the law. Some mechanics will let non-critical violations slide. Then you have the "lick-and-stick" inspection mechanics...those are my favorite. They know how much of a farce the inspection racket really is.

I really wish PA would join the other states that DON'T have inspection, but it generates too much money for the state in taxes, fines, and fees...I'm pretty sure it'll never go away.

Pat

Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
78workhorse
Senior User
Money talks and B.S. is everywhere. I thinks in Jesters case if the exhaust exited from the side it would be O.K. But as silver bullet and PatsPOS say it depends on the guy who holds all those little magic stickers. I've been to all kinds over the years and I found a guy who tells it to me straight and understands Pa's "crazy" inspection and emissions "laws". I agree they are all here to stay...........forever.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:36 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's another one on the subject of emissions. I understand you can get an exemption for having under 5000 miles since the last test, however, does this still apply if you are a new owner of a vehicle with less than 5000 miles since the last emissions test?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:22 PM
oneofakind97
Senior User
i have a dual exhaust on my truck that is only custom AFTER the o2 sensor. on each side, it goes cutout, highflow cat, 8" glasspack. then it runs out the back to some big tips. my truck gets dyno tested for emmissions, and my mechanic says as far as sight goes, as long as theres a cat and a muffler, its cool by him. doesnt matter what kind of cat and muffler they are.

when i finally put on my long tube headers, i wanna get it set up so i can have my o2 sensors right after the collectors, then do electric cutouts inside the frame rails, and then have the pipe bent up to go over to the outside of the frame rail (running tight and parallel to the frame rail), then do cat, glasspack, and have it bent out 45 degrees with my big tips right before the tires. that way i can eliminate a bunch of extra pipe and make room for a big hitch in the back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pa exhaust ?????