What's the best anti-theft devise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best anti-theft devise?

I've just read a post on the Diesel forum of my friends truck stolen over the weekend, and I'd like to know your opinions on what is the the best anti-theft devise? I've heard that the Ravelco is good?
Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
X-OvrDistortion
Senior User
I use autopage products. They have never let me down.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
glm racers
Senior User
I've google Ravelco and it appears that it a $500 multiple jumper switch. At that price I can build my own multiple switch to slow the baster down.

Autopage? is that a paging system? And if so, what do you do when you get paged? Does it have GPS? If so, then you can hunt the baster down, but then what?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:31 PM
SPL Tech
Elder User
Viper has long been known as one of the best brands on the market. Basically any DEI product will do good for you. But to be completely honest with you, the alarm itself has very little to do with how secure your vehicle is. The security level of your vehicle is almost completely determined by the alarm installation. I have never even heard of Ravelco and I use to install these things for a living.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
glm racers
Senior User
I just recieved an email from Ravelco, and they will not sell the unit alone without one of their installers performing the work, so a few buck for a plug and some cable and $500 for the install, no thank you.

I'll google viper next. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
X-OvrDistortion
Senior User
Autopage makes alarms.

http://www.autopageusa.com/

Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
Viper, DEI, and UltraStart make some of the best systems that is the way I would go.
never hav trouble with them. Note., I have ultrastart now with auto kill so my truck
is not going any place.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
You can "make" your own Revelco style security plug. Go to an electronics store and buy a mating pair of 6-9 pin electrical plugs (pins large enough to insert #14 gauge wire). I bought an extra so I could have a spare incase I "lost" one. Doesn't matter which gender goes in the truck, so buy 2 of the ones that will go in your pocket.

You will have to research which wires to cut...(I ain't telling which ones I cut).... but cut and splice (use all same color to confuse the crooks) the wires to go thru the plug. I stuffed the female end under the fuse panel. Disconnect it when you leave the truck and take the one end with you.

I also added a noise alarm...cheapy one just for the noise and I also use the Club.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
You can "make" your own Revelco style security plug. Go to an electronics store and buy a mating pair of 6-9 pin electrical plugs (pins large enough to insert #14 gauge wire). I bought an extra so I could have a spare incase I "lost" one. Doesn't matter which gender goes in the truck, so buy 2 of the ones that will go in your pocket.

You will have to research which wires to cut...(I ain't telling which ones I cut).... but cut and splice (use all same color to confuse the crooks) the wires to go thru the plug. I stuffed the female end under the fuse panel. Disconnect it when you leave the truck and take the one end with you.

I also added a noise alarm...cheapy one just for the noise and I also use the Club.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking as well.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Viper 5900 SST with GPS Tracking.. Cost me a little over $1200 installed.. I wouldn't take anything else on the market.. As bad as these things are stolen in Central Texas.. I'm going to protect my $40,000 investment..

I know we are all about saving money gang.. But security has got to be a high budget sacrifice.. I can't see spending a couple hundred on a device that "could" work.. I know that my truck is safe with the Viper.. Mines set up pretty nice.. Take my tailgate and my alarm goes off, Open my toolbox and my alarm goes off.. Bust any of my windows alarm goes off.. Play with my doors alarm goes off.. It's virtually impossible to get in without setting my alarm off.. If it gets set, my GPS activates and stays active for 2 hours on its own battery source.. If they cut the battery lines after the alarm was set, it doesn't kill my GPS transmitter..

We can't even find the damn thing.. That's how hidden it is..

Old 09-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Capital Customs
Elder User
my ultrastart ran about $1,600 and does all that too. as stated by STORM you need not go cheep spend the money and keep your truck safe. some times I think If you look a my truck the wrong way you will set it off.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
The only way to get MY truck with my wiring job is to load it on a flatbed. It think THAT might get noticed! All these theft deterents do is tell the crooks to go find an easier one to take! The more levels of prevention the longer it takes...that equals to try somebody elses.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
that all depends on if any one is around. also how good some one is at steeling. I have seen cars taken in under 30sec. with no sound to speak of. you do need something to
let some one know whats going on.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 PM
SPL Tech
Elder User
A GPS tracking system w/ a good alarm is your best bet. Do a good job hiding it and you are good to roll because few thief’s look for GPS tracking systems. But ultimately the best defense against loss is car insurance.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Capital Customs
Elder User
how true you are make sure it is good insurance that covers all mods

Quick Reply: What's the best anti-theft devise?