First time engine builder

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:34 AM
dirtjumper01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time engine builder

My dad has a friend that's willing to give up a mostly disassembled 70's 429 for $100. But everything is included and apperantly it's in good condish for the most part.

Im in grade 10, taking a power mech course, and I will be able to do a rebuild at the schools huge shop for my project. This will be my first ever engine build, maybe a little abitious, but hey.

Any tips on rebuilding the engine. I can't spend alot of money, but I want it too run. (just a school project.

What are some things I need to buy for a proper rebuid?

Gaskets
Piston rings (how much would a set for 8 pistons cost?)
ect...

thx for your help.

Last edited by dirtjumper01; 09-15-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe also Check out FTE's Performance and engine Rebuilding forum.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum47/

Old 09-16-2007, 12:25 PM
dirtjumper01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nvm, got all the help I needed from Pirate4x4 They are very helpful

Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a part of your engine rebuild project, do not forget that sometimes the biggest part of your rebuild is in your research before you even start.

Check out companies like Summit, Jeg's, JCWhitney, or whoever you can find online for rebuild packages. Also look in the car magazines, but I recommend Ford-only mags, especially if they do any special 'Big Block Ford' features. The kits vary by what is included, but you can get kits with the pistons you want to acheive the compression ratio you want, along with the gaskets, rings, cam, lifters, etc. When you take your block to school, you will want to measure your bores for wear, and see if it has been bored to oversize or not, and if it needs to be.
Decide how much power you want, and what it will cost you to get there. You can always use your factory intake and carb for now to save money, because it can be changed out after you get a job and have the money to throw into it.
Do all your searching and reading now before starting so you will be ahead of the game and kinda know what you are doing. Make sure you don't skimp on the details like torque specs, or your engine won't last as long as you might like.
Good luck, and most of all, have FUN!