Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Local Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Local Pricing

Hey - I hope I'm not breaking rules here. I didn't see a rules section in the regional sections, and the rules seem more relaxed, so if you can, I'd like a few opinions.

I have a 1995 F250 4x4 with a 460. I am unhappy with it for the followign reasons:
1) I don't like the TTB front end
2) I'd like to have a higher legal payload
3) it needs some front end parts and the steering is loose
4) it's not too clean of a truck
5) bad MPG

I paid $2300 for it a little over a year ago and have spent maybe $700 on it since then. It got two new tires and a new exhaust. I'm guessing it's worth $2750.

I found a guy with a 1995 F350 4x4 with a 351. He was asking $4000 for is, so I contacted him and got this answer:

"Mike,

I do still have the truck. I did have some problems a couple of weeks ago, here is a brief history:

This spring the distributor gear was stripped and it lost timing. I put a new distributor in it and within a short period of time the new distributor gear stripped as well. I assumed there was a problem with the gear on the camshaft or other problem causing it. I pulled the engine out and ordered a new (rebuilt) long block from Advanced auto parts. I didn't get it installed again until summer and I drove it about 200 miles and it lost oil pressure. I shut it down immediately and towed it back. It wasn't driven without pressure. I haven't had time to look at it and I'm just going to sell it as is. The engine was purchased I believe in May or June and has a 1 year warranty from Advance. The oil pump was new as well. It may be something plugging the pump or another problem. In either case I think with a little work and hopefully minimal parts cost witht he warranty somebody will have a good truck, I just don't have time to do it myself.

The 4 wheel drive, transmission and everything else worked fine. I'm asking $2500 for it as is to give somebody some room to work with on it. If you are interested give me a call you are welcome to take a look at it, I'm right down the road."

Here's the rest of the info:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/401613558.html

Now, here's my question. I think $2500 is too high. That warranty I don't believe is transferrable, and Advance Auto's engines are junk anyway. I really like the truck with the exception of the automatic transmission, and offered $1500. He wasn't at all interested in this offer. What do you guys think this truck is worth? Am I close on what my truck is worth?

I'd want to swap the beds and wheels, and sell mine after buying this one. I'd probably put a 300-6 in it instead of the 351, since I have the duramax to pull trailers. I just need to haul the mower and firewood, etc.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:54 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mentioned that you're asking for opinions...my opinion is to run, not walk away from this deal.

Something smells.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem is why did it lose oil pressure, could be as simple as a oil pump drive shaft or it could be worse, either way $2500 for a truck with a bad motor is high unless it has realy low miles and is real clean. To swap it over to a 300-6 is a great idea but can be rather complicated with the engine management system. I think you would be happy with the windsor (i'm a big fan of them) and there are some fairly cheap and easy mods you can do to get more power out of them but don't expect the fuel miliage to be any better. To the best of my knowledge they never put a 300 in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck so if it's mileage your looking for I think your best bet to find a 94-97 F-350 with a powerstroke (big fan of them too :-) If you keep your eyes peeled you can find one for a decent price and it will do what you want it to with no problems.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:24 PM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've bought those advance auto engines, and I guess I can understand why he's selling. You get so fed up you want to push it off a cliff. So I don't think it smells, but that engine is junk, even if it is new. You could be right though.....

I wanted a light truck with a high payload, I don't need to pull a trailer. I also don't want to pay for the powerstroke. Maybe I should just forget about it and fix my truck. I put 4000 miles on this truck last year. That's $1200 in gas. 15 mpg means a $400 per year savings - not a whole lot.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
I would agree with the other opinions that there are probably better deals out there. Duane is right on the powerstroke for economy although some expenses can be higher on a diesel if you need to work on them. I would look for something that runs decent and that doesn't start with engine problems unless it is really cheap. Your $1500 offer was probably about right for something with a bad engine.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 PM
74 bronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I got a 90 with 300 in it get 16 mpg unload in the f250 two wheel drive.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 106 Likes on 100 Posts
I would probably put the same money into your current truck. It would be great to put a large sum of money into a truck... it would be pretty reliable, etc.

Trending Topics

Old 09-26-2007, 02:26 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
Originally Posted by mgraveman
Hey - I hope I'm not breaking rules here. I didn't see a rules section in the regional sections, and the rules seem more relaxed, so if you can, I'd like a few opinions.

I have a 1995 F250 4x4 with a 460. I am unhappy with it for the followign reasons:
5) bad MPG

I paid $2300 for it a little over a year ago and have spent maybe $700 on it since then. It got two new tires and a new exhaust. I'm guessing it's worth $2750.

I found a guy with a 1995 F350 4x4 with a 351. He was asking $4000 for is, so I contacted him and got this answer:

"Mike,

I do still have the truck. I did have some problems a couple of weeks ago, here is a brief history:

This spring the distributor gear was stripped and it lost timing. I put a new distributor in it and within a short period of time the new distributor gear stripped as well. I assumed there was a problem with the gear on the camshaft or other problem causing it. I pulled the engine out and ordered a new (rebuilt) long block from Advanced auto parts. I didn't get it installed again until summer and I drove it about 200 miles and it lost oil pressure. I shut it down immediately and towed it back. It wasn't driven without pressure. I haven't had time to look at it and I'm just going to sell it as is. The engine was purchased I believe in May or June and has a 1 year warranty from Advance. The oil pump was new as well. It may be something plugging the pump or another problem. In either case I think with a little work and hopefully minimal parts cost witht he warranty somebody will have a good truck, I just don't have time to do it myself.

The 4 wheel drive, transmission and everything else worked fine. I'm asking $2500 for it as is to give somebody some room to work with on it. If you are interested give me a call you are welcome to take a look at it, I'm right down the road."

Now, here's my question. I think $2500 is too high. That warranty I don't believe is transferrable, and Advance Auto's engines are junk anyway. I really like the truck with the exception of the automatic transmission, and offered $1500. He wasn't at all interested in this offer. What do you guys think this truck is worth? Am I close on what my truck is worth?

I'd want to swap the beds and wheels, and sell mine after buying this one. I'd probably put a 300-6 in it instead of the 351, since I have the duramax to pull trailers. I just need to haul the mower and firewood, etc.
Topic 2: Excessive Distributor Gear Wear on Ford

Excessive distributor gear wear can be a problem with Ford engines. Most of the time, the problem is a result from the use of a high volume oil pump. High volume oil pumps put a lot of stress on the distributor and cam gears. A high volume oil pump is not necessary on a street driven engine that turns no more than 7000 rpms. Only extreme racing engines require the high volume pump. Should you use this type of oil pump, the following precautions will save your distributor gear from early destruction.

(1) Drill a .030" hole in the lifter/oil galley plug behind the distributor. This will allow additional lubrication on the distributor and cam gears. This will not lower oil pressure enough to hurt the engine.

(2) Ford oil pump mounting brackets have elongated holes. Due to this, the distributor shaft and oil pump shaft should be aligned so that the distributor turns freely before tightening the mounting bracket bolts. Failure to do this will cause a binding situation, thus damaging the gear.

(3) Stock Ford hex oil pump drive shafts are know to vary in length which could cause a bottoming or binding situation.

(4) Brass distributor gears can be used to avoid damaging the cam gear. Brass gears are softer and can wear out quicker than the cast gear, but will not cause damage to the cam gear. If using a brass gear, check it occasionally for wear.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/

Old 09-26-2007, 02:27 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
Originally Posted by mgraveman

5) bad MPG

"Mike,

Topic 2: Excessive Distributor Gear Wear on Ford

Excessive distributor gear wear can be a problem with Ford engines. Most of the time, the problem is a result from the use of a high volume oil pump. High volume oil pumps put a lot of stress on the distributor and cam gears. A high volume oil pump is not necessary on a street driven engine that turns no more than 7000 rpms. Only extreme racing engines require the high volume pump. Should you use this type of oil pump, the following precautions will save your distributor gear from early destruction.

(1) Drill a .030" hole in the lifter/oil galley plug behind the distributor. This will allow additional lubrication on the distributor and cam gears. This will not lower oil pressure enough to hurt the engine.

(2) Ford oil pump mounting brackets have elongated holes. Due to this, the distributor shaft and oil pump shaft should be aligned so that the distributor turns freely before tightening the mounting bracket bolts. Failure to do this will cause a binding situation, thus damaging the gear.

(3) Stock Ford hex oil pump drive shafts are know to vary in length which could cause a bottoming or binding situation.

(4) Brass distributor gears can be used to avoid damaging the cam gear. Brass gears are softer and can wear out quicker than the cast gear, but will not cause damage to the cam gear. If using a brass gear, check it occasionally for wear.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/