N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

'55 Ford PU

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:45 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'55 Ford PU

Check out the gallery of F100 slammer - he just joined us but has been fixing up a 55 .

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...00slammer.html

Old 09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
What a thing of beauty. That is about my favorite model. An old fat fendered ford. Nice start. I can see greatness to come.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Dang Clint, you didn't even give him guff about his drivetrain

Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
True, he should be doin' something really cool with a Y block or somethin', but HEY! That is a cool fat fendered Ford pickup!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Ah, that reminds me of a Yellow '56 that I ran around in as a kid.

B E A UTIFUL !!!! Can hardly wait to see it finished up. Woot !!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
I know he'll take guff from us for a while, but at least he drives it.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:13 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Hey now, I have one Ford that runs

Old 09-15-2007, 12:25 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one of those, a 55 F100.

But mine is way way way much.............................in terrible shape.

It's in need of soooooooooooooooooo much this and that.

F100Slammer, very nice truck.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:47 PM
F100Slammer
Freshman User
Talking Hello Everyone

I just joined your chapter and I’m looking forward to meeting everyone. As you’ve seen, I have a 55 F100 I hope to have on the road in around 9 months. I building it on a budget, but my goal is to do everything to the best of my ability and take enough time to not cut corners. I do have the help of my two boys (14 and 17) which really makes it a lot of fun.

I’m almost as old as the truck, so I do have a good background in most of the skills I need as well as a good tool collection. The truck will be Viper red with everything rebuilt. It is going to be a daily driver, so I want a late model suspension and drive train with my favorite classic truck on top. With the price of parts and their availability being so good, it’s more cost effective than buying a new truck, besides, anyone can do that.

<O

So I look forward to my journey and all of the advice I can get from you guys.

<O

Thanks

Larry

Old 09-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
That is a nice looking truck, good luck with the build, can't wait to see it at one of our gtg's in the future.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:45 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by F100Slammer
I do have the help of my two boys (14 and 17) which really makes it a lot of fun.<o><o>
It is fun working with your sons, I know it was with mine. Keep in mind, if you have a particularly tricky bit to pull together, you can ask for help. Some of us aren't very far away. Others have been know to drive a looong way.

Chet
</o></o>

Old 09-16-2007, 09:14 PM
F100Slammer
Freshman User
Smile 1955 F100-Thanks!!!

Thank you for the offer, which I may take you up on. If nothing else, we should meet sometime and chew the fat. It’s really refreshing to join a group that has such camaraderie and a genuine interest in seeing each other succeed with their projects. I get a little friendly harassment because I’m using a GM engine and trans, but I can always change that down the road when it makes since. When I got the truck it had a dilapidated 305 and TH350 that was held in place by some crusty cold stick weld attempts and a steering setup (rack welded on the straight axle) that would come undone if you hit a big bump. The rear end was a stocker (I think) and everything you looked at on the truck was rigged (for lack of a better way of putting it). However the body was in fairly good condition, after I had it media blasted I did find some old lead work and I had to replace the cab corners on the driver side. I spent a lot of time returning the frame back to its original state, it had some hacking done through the years, nothing a few days of cutting and welding couldn’t cure. I did go with the TCI MII front end with upper and lower tubular wishbones, sway bar, and their 4 link rear end (it seemed less expensive than leaf type suspension and is very adjustable. So I know it going to be a great daily driver. I have 4 pumpkins for the rear end, 2 3:00 and 2 3:70s and I have one brand new Ford TracLoc spool that I have to install in one of them.

As far as the engine and tranny goes, it’s a 350 TPI & a 4L60 automatic. It’s an early 90s Z28/Corvette combo that I had, it was kind of dirty on the inside, so I took it over to my local machine shop to see what I could get away with. I was hoping for a hot tank and new bearings and rings, but one head had a crack, and after I told them what is was going into, of course it should be completely rebuilt (well OK). It was more than I expected, having a roller cam didn’t help, the machinist called me from time to time alerting me to recommended upgrades, which I approved of. Same thing with the trans, its built to the hilt. So I have to run the combo for now. The 350 Tuned Port Injection is a lower RPM torque monster, it has 17” long intake runners, it has over 200 foot pounds of torque starting below 1800 RPM climbing to +/- 360 at 4800 RPM. The trans has the lowest first gear I know of, 3:08, so it really takes advantage of the power band. It also has a 0:700 over-drive to land you around 1600 to 2000 at 65 MPH, depending on the rear end ratio.

Well I don’t feel much talking tonight, so I’ll touch base with you all soon…

Thanks
Larry

Old 09-16-2007, 09:22 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A low 1st is nice to have with highway gears. My project rig's Allison has a 3.45 first gear, but no overdrive. Gotta be pretty accurate on my rear end gear selection when the day comes. You should be riding nice & smooooth on the TCI suspension!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:50 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome, Larry! Looks like a great project you've got going there, even with the Chevy motor-vation...but stick with us, we'll get you some Ford power in there sooner or later!

I have friends up your way, in Pollock Pines. I need to get up there soon and help them with some vehicular problems. Maybe I can drop by and take a gander at your project.

Hope to see you at a GTG soon...!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
It is fun working with your sons, I know it was with mine. Keep in mind, if you have a particularly tricky bit to pull together, you can ask for help. Some of us aren't very far away. Others have been know to drive a looong way.

Chet
</O></O>
Yep, most of us love to work on Ford trucks. Our passion is keeping our Chapter's Fords on the road as well.

So, it sounds like a frame up rebuild. Let us know if you need help generally at least one of us has some time on any weekend to help out.

Oh, and don't forget whenever something doesn't work out .. It's Dan's fault !!!! Knowing this, will help you get through the worst problems.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 09-17-2007 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: '55 Ford PU