1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Tranny woo's

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 PM
smithc185
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny woo's

So i was drivin the truck today and all was normal. But when i was accelerating past 50 MPH the tranny seemed to not be able to find 3rd gear. The engine reved to 6k rpm. would not shift back down or into 3rd. About 10 seconds later the tranny finaly caught a gear didnt shift hard went smooth into gear. Fluid looks fine. Not low on fluid at all. I am wondering if the trans cooler or a passage may be clogged or possibly the torque converter going out. Truck has 119K and i have never had this problem before.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Smith, you have 5 trucks listed... which one is it? From down the road in Canton, I'd say your trans is on the way out. In most transmissions, 3rd is two locked clutch packs, and OD uses a band to grab a drum that has sun gears in it to get overdrive, feeding the forward-most clutch pack.
I'd suggest dropping the pan and looking for chips of clutch material in the bottom. If clean, replace the filter, and reassemble with new fluid. There's not much you can do to prevent failure except maintenance and gentle driving.
tom

Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The transmissions in these rangers is still based on the A4LD design, and while it can be a good transmission, it requires regular complete fluid changes, and is easily damaged if you allow it to remain in overdrive while the torque converter is unlocked. The resulting heat will quickly spike and easily damages seals and causes fluid breakdown. It could very well be that band. Personally, I do not work on transmissions, so my knowledge may be sketchy. I know a lot of the theory of how the A4LD works. I have to since my van has one and I work it as hard as any truck.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I did an A4LD in a '90 4.0 extended A* van, lasted about 160K pulling a horse trailer too. Should have dropped the exhaust pipes, but got 'er out and in. There is a plate with 3 fingers that is driven by the input shaft. It sits loose in a matching driven member. The fingers get a groove in them from motion and the torque they transfer. Do not flip it to even out the wear, get it welded in place. The input shaft can get twisted splines from too much torque. The splines are over one inch in length, but they only engage about 1/8" of metal. To move the whole truck. Blech.
Your trans is probably going to fail, sorry to say. If you want to, you can fix it yourself if you have patience. Get a manual at http://www.atsgmiami.com/ they do the factory manuals, from all appearances. They have an updated parts list book for many models, such as the oversize tubes for the AXOD, and other improved parts. Were about $30, but probably more now. You can get a 'kit' for about $100 with most wear parts and seals. Then clean, take apart in order, clean, clean, oh, clean some more, and pbt. You can use grease to hold the thrust washers in place while you mumble stuff together. You will need help replacing the seals in the clutch packs as they are spring loaded. You can kluge a tool, but getting to know a local builder is a better solution, and they have used hard parts if you need them. Buy the kit, and you'll get a bit of help,too. Drown every part in trans fluid before reassembly. The only special tool for the A4LD is a good snap ring set to get the rearmost parts from the case, IIRC. You can align the pump by using the torque converter from the backside. BE VERY careful with the center support. it SHOULD drop into place by its own weight, and if not, it is bound and will cut sealing rings if you force it.
tom

Last edited by tomw; 09-12-2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
smithc185
Senior User
Dropped the pan today everything looks fine. No metal flakes or chips. Fluid is a little burnt but still has the sweet smell and cooler is still pretty red. Changing fluid out as we speak.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:16 PM
rkymtnman30
Senior User
I think those have a shift sensor I will have to look again but if it starts to go bad it can do some goofy things