1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

5.0 in ranger

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:45 PM
just-n-time
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 5.0 in ranger

How many have gotten involved with setting up a ranger, say 88 or so, with a 5.0? I have two one two wheel drive the other four wheel drive, just sitting in the wings for some changes. I have HAD THIS SWAP on my mind for some time,has it much of a following? How much build up is needed of the suspension?

Last edited by just-n-time; 09-11-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The suspension is no bigger, is throw on a set of F-150 spings. James Duff sells the 5.0 ranger conversion kits or just the pieces, a very common swap these days.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
It is a pretty common swap, I want to do it to my 03 (but probably wont). If you do a search on this forum you will come up with some pretty good information.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's obviously easier to do it on a 2wd but isn't much harder to do a 4x4. Engine mounts are cheap and easy to make from 2.9L lower mounts and some 0.25in steel plate. You can buy a kit which in my opinion is a waste of money or get the parts yourself. Do you have to pass emissions? Do you want carb or EFI? Stick or auto. There are a lot of questions you need to have some answers for. I can tell you that you will need a radiator, oil filter relocation kit, dual sump pan is best; those are the essentials. I'm not trying to bash anybody by any means but really listen to the people who have done the swap. You will get answers from it is hard to it's a piece of cake. This can be done without a welder and basic hand tools if need be. The more tools you have the easier it will go and faster. You will find transfer case adapters, I would invest my money on going fullsize and getting a pair of driveshafts. I've done a few of these. If you need it done quickly have all the parts before you start. Best words of advice, cheap, fast or reliable; pick two of the three. Give me an idea of what you want to do, I can tell you what works best and is easiest to find.

Matt

Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 AM
JP_McCann
Junior User
does anyone make instructions for this swap?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Harwood makes a manual. You can do better if you take some time and ask around. Just about everybody who has done the swap has pictures and can give detailed instructions.

Matt

Old 09-12-2007, 04:38 PM
just-n-time
Senior User
well thank you all for the quick reply on this mater,my 4 wheel drive is standard transmition and has the same 2.9 as my 2 wheel drive, though that unit has auto trans. I have a 78 302 out of a Cougar and I also have a C6 small block bolt pattern,my intention is to put the 78-302 and C6 in the two wheel drive. The 4 wheel drive I may just let sit for now,I will need to resurch all the proublems of matting the original equipment to a 302.