1963 Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 PM
-Doc-
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1963 Project

Hello all.

Just posted in the intro. thread and thought I would pop in here and say howdy.

I just bought a 63 F100. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that could give some good body work advice and some pointers on basic restorations.

While I am not looking to do a complete restoration, there are some problem areas that need addressing. Namely the top of the cab bordering the winshield and on the sides above the rain channels. The rest of the truck is in great shape all considering. Hell, it still drives and the radio still works. However, instead of just throwing some bondo or JB weld into the problem areas, I want to know how to actually FIX the problems, if I need to fabricate the new body parts, or if I can buy new pannels.

I will post better pictures as soon as I can, of what I am reffering to, but for now, here are these....

I am also having some difficluties decoding the VIN.
F10CR411597

Thanks.

-Doc

Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE a good place to be if you own a ford truck thats for sure seems like a solid truck good start

Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Hello Doc, The VIN breaks down as follows

F= conventional cab 2 axle gas power
10= 1/2 ton series
C= 292 MD w/ 2 bbl carb. 135 hp @ 3800 RPM
R= Built at San Jose plant.
411597= May 1963 build date

- cs65

Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 PM
slow64
Junior User
Shoot, that thing is in pretty darn good shape. When (or if) you replace the shifter boot and accompanying floor seal for the shifter, I'd like to buy them off ya'.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:19 PM
-Doc-
New User
Thank ya'll for the responses. As I said, I am not lookin to do a complete resto, just something that looks nice, goes fast, and stops good.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Nothing wrong with that man

Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 AM
magee
Elder User
I don't have any good advice for patch panels. Check the site sponsors or maybe LMC. As for your project's direction, I started out doing a cosmetic thing on my 66 but that has now morphed into a full scale overhaul involving filling seams, shaving some emblems, adding power steering/disc brakes, 460, customizing the interior, etc.... I just figured that I might as well have fun with it and make it what I want instead of just trying to get it on the road in a hurry. Good luck with your project, though.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 AM
-Doc-
New User
Originally Posted by magee
I don't have any good advice for patch panels. Check the site sponsors or maybe LMC. As for your project's direction, I started out doing a cosmetic thing on my 66 but that has now morphed into a full scale overhaul involving filling seams, shaving some emblems, adding power steering/disc brakes, 460, customizing the interior, etc.... I just figured that I might as well have fun with it and make it what I want instead of just trying to get it on the road in a hurry. Good luck with your project, though.
As it stands, I do not really have the means necessary to do a complete tear down/rebuild. I would LOVE to, but this is a primary set of wheels for me. My girl is driving the SUV. I am sure that once I get a bigger house, and a bit more room, I will really dig in. Thanks for the advice on part sourcing.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM
kstones63
Senior User
I have a 63 in major rebuild. Here are a couple of pics. I even smoothed and filled the recesses in the grill grill for a slightly subtle but different look. It only takes a lot of time. I am a tile contractor and I can get this far so probably anybody could.

Good luck,
Kevin
kstones63
__________________________________________________ ____
63 F100 Project
29 Ford Sedan Delivery

Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 PM
-Doc-
New User
That is super nice. I am anxious to see it when you are finished. What did you use to strip it down?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kstones63
I have a 63 in major rebuild. Here are a couple of pics. I even smoothed and filled the recesses in the grill grill for a slightly subtle but different look. It only takes a lot of time. I am a tile contractor and I can get this far so probably anybody could.

Good luck,
Kevin
kstones63
__________________________________________________ ____
63 F100 Project
29 Ford Sedan Delivery

WOWOWOW that is nice!!!!! to think i been hacking a welding on mine like it was a 100$ truck which it is, but wow seeing yours these trucks do have potential for great beauty!

Ray

Old 09-06-2007, 02:57 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only way to fix the roof rust is to replace the section with new metal. No patch panels are avalible for the roof.

The cab corners are avalible along with floor pans and the a pillar lower piece from Carolina Classics the maker. The sill and sill backer are reproduced and can be bought from the same source.

The missing piece of aluminum trim is not avalible aftermarket. Actually the trim is quite rare for a 63 model 81 with the 57 to 60 bed.
1963 only.

Bed panels will need to be fabricated as no replacement panels are produced.

Garbz

Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
-Doc-
New User
Originally Posted by garbz2
The only way to fix the roof rust is to replace the section with new metal. No patch panels are avalible for the roof.

The cab corners are avalible along with floor pans and the a pillar lower piece from Carolina Classics the maker. The sill and sill backer are reproduced and can be bought from the same source.

The missing piece of aluminum trim is not avalible aftermarket. Actually the trim is quite rare for a 63 model 81 with the 57 to 60 bed.
1963 only.

Bed panels will need to be fabricated as no replacement panels are produced.

Garbz
Thanks for the info! Actually, the missing trim piece is under the seat. I take it the trim was an option. Is there anyway to find out how many were produced with that option?

I know nothing about these trucks at all. Just for gits and shiggles, anyone know what the truck is worth as it sits? I would not dream of selling it, but it is nice having an idea of its value.