6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2005-2007 Dash Gauge Pod

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005-2007 Dash Gauge Pod

Hey guys Hope all are having or had a good weekend.

FTE has been a great site for everyone including me, Thanks for checking in from time to time to keep this site so alive with informative and creative ideas. I really enjoy most of your input and I can only see this site to flourish into an encyclopedia of Ford truck mods, rods, and questions.

I just have to tell you all that...
I have searched and then, I have searched for a pod to fit these model years of the Super Duty and come up empty handed. No one seems to have a 05-07 Ford dash pod currently in production. I am looking for a place to mount some gauges on the dashboard. As a matter of fact, anywhere else that I can find.
I've looked at the Dodge designed pod , the mustang 2 hole, and universal mounts. I am looking for gauge mounts and wish to keep the drivers' OS handle so that leaves me with one gauge on the pillar, most likely a boost or pyro for that location.
The overhead console is available from Auto Meter but I find the big bulbous Ford center piece to be hanging down too far, this is that big thing that hangs down above the mirror but gives 2 spot lights for illumination and has buttons and such.

The other location for gauges, under dash pod that covers the coveted "extra" storage compartment is off limits, as I need that cubbyhole for hideables.

This leaves me with a dilemma, where can a guy find a dash pod that will look good and fit well? As there is no aftermarket pod specifically designed for the 05-07 Super Duty dash. I do understand that Auto Meter is currently in coming up with a solution as one is in development but there is no definitive release date.

Now to begin and answer my own concern, there are single pods that can be mounted individually, if that's how a guy wants it to look, personally I like the 3 or 4 hole pod cluster, for that matter, I'd most likely opt for a 5 or 6 holes! I mean there is a whole bunch of gauges to choose from and it's hard to draw the line in the preverbal sand on which one(s) not to install.

So, if there are any creative solutions, and I know you guy come up with all kinds of fantastic solutions, I know, that I'd be especially grateful to hear what you have done to enhance your cockpit with instrumentation keeping the handle, the small glove box, and opting not to go overhead.
Pretty limited in my view, but what's yours?

Old 09-02-2007, 09:34 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem and simply went the pod way with Carbon Fiber Pods from AutoMeter. Nice thing is, I can add all the gauges I want.

This is an old picture, I've added two more since this.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:12 PM
6.0superduty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the overhead console pod that goes above the mirror, but I don't have the factory map lights. What about sliding the Autometer console over to the center of the driver's side? I am not sure how it would look, but when I was installing mine, I found out that it would fit anywhere across the top fo the windshield. Just a thought.

Kyle

Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
i had no idea there werent any options for you newer owners...

Old 09-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are practically none, having looked back immediately after I purchased the truck.

I'm leaning towards the overhead unit, but I don't have the overhead console. Someone around here has a gauge mounted in the vertical portion of the instrument bezel below the factory gauges; the '05-07 bezel has enough room to do this, where the 04 and earlier does not.

I'm also toying with using the pocket on a single-DIN receiver adapter; before my first one got stolen, I was thinking that it was just large enough to handle 2 or 3 gauges.

-blaine

Old 09-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 6L PWR
I had the same problem and simply went the pod way with Carbon Fiber Pods from AutoMeter. Nice thing is, I can add all the gauges I want.
Your individual gauges mounted on the dash are the first ones I've seen in a Super Duty. I think they exhibit a "hot rod" look to 'em.
Where did you poke a hole in the dash? straight down for each one?
Nice job.
I am coming to the realization that this is the way to go, and like you said, you can always add another, and still have it look uniform.

Last edited by Benchwrench; 09-03-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 6.0superduty
What about sliding the Autometer console over to the center of the driver's side? I am not sure how it would look, but when I was installing mine, I found out that it would fit anywhere across the top fo the windshield. Just a thought.

Kyle
This would also make the wiring runs shorter however it also would have to take the place of the drivers sun visor. I think the drivers visor would be in the way.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
Someone around here has a gauge mounted in the vertical portion of the instrument bezel below the factory gauges; the '05-07 bezel has enough room to do this, where the 04 and earlier does not.

I'm also toying with using the pocket on a single-DIN receiver adapter; before my first one got stolen, I was thinking that it was just large enough to handle 2 or 3 gauges.

-blaine
I haven't checked out around the instrument cluster yet, I was leaning more twards the ol' "single gauge cup mounted on the steering column trick".

Now, the idea of the gauges fitting below the upfitter switches... are you talking about making them fit inside the fold down cubby?
Because that got me thinking of a way to adhere 2 or 3 gauges on the door while allowing the door to still open. I know Auto Meter has a gauge mount for this area but I think they want to screw the mount to the outside dash frame of this coveted compartment. I was thinking more on the line of using the door or having a door designed with 2 or 3 gauges in mind in the molding process and still have a functioning comparment. The downside to this is that the latch mechinism has to be strong enough to hold the extra weight of the now installed gauges. just a thought....
Auto Meter? Are you lurking? hint, hint.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
auto meter makes a 3 & 4 gauge mount that goes any where along the headliner & windshield it will work in all superdutys even with over head console! mine has a sun roof & it fits just fine & has a very factory look & wire routing is easy through the headliner.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
when I lower the "elecronic mirror" all the way down, I still see that the OEM map light console would hang down as to obscure the top half of the two right side of center gauges (if using a 4 hole gauge pod). I'd have to duck down in order to see the top half of the gauges in order to see 'em.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
I thought that would be the case as well so I just moved it left of center & no more problem!

Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
oh, ah so

Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
Where did you poke a hole in the dash? straight down for each one?
I'm using the AutoMeter Nexus gauges so they daisy chain to each other. Only had to run one wire down and I just pinched it as I snapped the dash back on. Works great. Yes, it has hot rod look and it WAS a hotrod until now.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
I understand you made a nice access hole in the side of your block. What's up with that?
Wanted to thank you for your picture, I too hav decided to go with the individual cups. So much easier to add-on in the future if necessary.

Hey! I also thought about how to salvage the underdash cubby box AND still have a couple of gauges mounted on the door. No secret here, just mount a couple of cups on it and presto! instant placement for two more gauges!
Reach between the two and release the compartment.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
Now, the idea of the gauges fitting below the upfitter switches... are you talking about making them fit inside the fold down cubby?
No. Mounting the gauges in the gauge cluster bezel (next to where the power pedal switch is located, among other things, in the 2005+ dash) which comes off, for instance, if you want to change the radio. Apparently there's a little more room in the 2005+ trucks than the 2004- trucks...

-blaine

Quick Reply: 2005-2007 Dash Gauge Pod