General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Spiders, Spiders everywhere!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spiders, Spiders everywhere!!!!!!

I was just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with an over population of Arachnids. In my yard alone, you cannot walk five feet without having a Spider web wrap around your face! I can wash the cars the night before, and by morning, the side mirrors, wheel wells have brand new webs. Plus Spiders scare the bejeezes outta me. If I come across one unexpectedly, I will scream louder than Tim's sheep. We have alot of those October Spiders.
You know, the one that can jump, like 50 miles at a time. I think I am going to invest in a flame thrower. Man!! I hate those things.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 AM
weeds
Senior User
Get a cat. Or if you're me, get a boxer-shepard mix who tries to track down & eat every single bug it can find and usually ends up destroying the house in the process.

I love my dog, I love my dog, *grits teeth* I love my dog....

Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by weeds
Get a cat. Or if you're me, get a boxer-shepard mix who tries to track down & eat every single bug it can find and usually ends up destroying the house in the process.

I love my dog, I love my dog, *grits teeth* I love my dog....
My dog only has an appetite for bee's, and my cat is also afraid of spiders.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here ya brother, here in fla, i have to deal with an occasional brown recluse, my spine just about snaps in half with the shiver when i see one, they make me sick........it just happened while typin this and thinking about one

funny you always end up scratchin yourself when you talk/type/think about it

Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 AM
weeds
Senior User
Hehe, I'll give ya one of my cats then. I got 3 to spare.

Now that you mention the spine-jerk reaction, I was over my ex's house laying on the floor just watching TV. For whatever reason, I didn't have a shirt on so I got up & pulled the blanket off the bed & laid back down. As soon as I did it I could feel something on my stomach. I thought it was just a string hanging, so I picked up the blanket and of course, there's a freaking wolf spider crawling up my gut!! I screamed, smacked that sucker across the room, and smashed it with a book before she even knew what was going on.

In case anybody doesn't know what a wolf spider looks like, they're big, hairy, beastly things.

http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/Spider/wolfSpiders.htm

Old 08-31-2007, 08:37 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by freirefishing
here ya brother, here in fla, i have to deal with an occasional brown recluse, my spine just about snaps in half with the shiver when i see one, they make me sick........it just happened while typin this and thinking about one

funny you always end up scratchin yourself when you talk/type/think about it
Don't you have those big Palm spiders down there, that are like the size of Tim's midgets?

Old 08-31-2007, 08:38 AM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
I killed a biggun two nights ago. Whomped it with a hiking boot a couple of times to get it killed. Woke my 12 year old up, I was outside his bedroom in the hall at the time. Not quite as big and ugly as that wolf spider, but big and ugly enough for me.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I walked by my shed the other night and in the moon light I saw a large spiderweb at about head height and in the middle of it was a huge spider and a praying mantis locked in a battle to the death. If for some reason I had to go into the shed I would have walked right into the middle of it!

Last edited by Bruker; 08-31-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 AM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
Oh, and to answer the original question, we do have the back yard full and webs all over the place, but in spurts. It'll last for a few days or a week or two and then the spiders clear out for a while I guess. Maybe they die off and new ones hatch to take their place.

Insect and spider life, not my thing

Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
Originally Posted by tewferford
Don't you have those big Palm spiders down there, that are like the size of Tim's midgets?
We call them banana spiders, and yes, they're fricken everywhere down here!!!
I rode through 3 of them last night on the 4 wheeler.
The standard ones are about 3 1/2 inch diameter and the healthy ones get 6".

I hate them. They look like they're right outa that movie starship troopers, but have yellow stripes on them.

I flicked this one's web a few days ago cause it was covering up my parent's hose valve. It made this scratching sound as it scurryed away up these leaves. Gives me the chills.

The 4 wheeler is the worst. Going about 40 mph, slamming on the brakes to avoid a 10 foot diameter spider, only to have it slowly wrap around your face because you stopped about 3 feet past the web!
Arrrgh!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
Old 08-31-2007, 08:56 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to keep spiders at bay on your property, find and put out some osage orange fruits (commonly known as hedge apples). Supposedly spiders don't like them for some reason.

Jason

Old 08-31-2007, 08:57 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 AM
weeds
Senior User
Yeah, that banana spider is one big nasty thing. Remind me why people live in Florida again? Giant spiders, gators, Gators football (sorry couldn't resist), and what do you call em, "snowbirds"?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
Originally Posted by jroehl
If you want to keep spiders at bay on your property, find and put out some osage orange fruits (commonly known as hedge apples). Supposedly spiders don't like them for some reason.

Jason
I like to use this fruit called Dursban and Malathion. It comes in a plastic container that you pick up from the chemical department of your local Home Depot.
Spray your entire lawn and house exterior. It convinces the bugs that they should stay where they are and not continue to live any more.
Gives you a warm feeling knowing how well it works.

Quick Reply: Spiders, Spiders everywhere!!!!!!