Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Towing/Hauling: Is Camper+Boat Same As Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:09 AM
thejat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing/Hauling: Is Camper+Boat Same As Trailer

Forgive me as I fear this is a stupid question. Throughout this forum you will see testimonials to F-350 SD's with V10's doing the job. Let me ask by example. Say I tow a 6000 lb trailer (5th Wheel) with no issue in any given 350 with a v10. I then take that same truck and instead put a 3000 lb truck box camper on it, and tow a 3000 lb boat behind me.

Assuming all other factors equal, will I see the same performance out of the vehicle? Yes, the total weight is the same, but now you have 3000 lbs over the axle instead of the tounge wieght of the trailer.

The numbers are total fictious, the question is of course does an v10 F-350 perfom the same in both situations?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Of course...

Why wouldn't it?

A F350 V10 and F350 PSD both have the same rear setup. Having 3000 lbs in the bed would be the same for both trucks...regarding weight.

Maybe...just not understanding your question...

biz

Old 08-26-2007, 06:19 AM
fomocofan
Senior User
First off there are no stupid questions....and welcome!

If you are giving actual weights are not "ratings" for those trailers/campers...then the answer is:

Of course the truck would be able to pull both weights the same on a hill...but handling and ride would depend..
I tow for a living and am in the trailer business.. there is nothing more important to vehicle handling than balancing the load properly.
You should never exceed the recommended trailer tonque weight (usually 20% off the trailer rating) of the trailer AND the total of the tonque weight and the vehicle payload (camper weight in this case) should not exceed the vehicles rated payload capacity.
Lastly the combined weights of payload (weight added to the vehicle itself,including luggage and passengers) and trailer should not exceed the vehicles total combined weight ratings.

I hope this helps...
Basically any two loads/trailers can tow differently regardless of the actual weight if the load or combined load is poorly distributed.

Last edited by fomocofan; 08-26-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
The only difference will be stopping if the 6K trailer has brakes (and it should)

Old 08-26-2007, 04:18 PM
hydro_37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another issue may be tongue weight. If the trailer is too heavy on tongue weight you may experience some steering issues.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 PM
fomocofan
Senior User
Originally Posted by krewat
The only difference will be stopping if the 6K trailer has brakes (and it should)
Good point, trailers under 3,000 lbs are not requirred to have brakes generally(this varies state to state).

Adding a trailer w/o brakes or one with bad brakes will negatively effect the vehicles stopping power.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 PM
fomocofan
Senior User
Originally Posted by hydro_37
Another issue may be tongue weight. If the trailer is too heavy on tongue weight you may experience some steering issues.
I think I covered that!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:17 PM
hydro_37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excuusse me fomocofan. Sorry I added my opinion. I didn't see it in your post.
Too light of a tongue weight will cause the trailer to sway badly.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
thejat

No they do not behave the same

Center of gravity just went forward and UP!! If the truck that was properly set up for 5er pin weights NOW has a slide in and a bumper drag the beast will behave MUCH differently.... especially if SRW...if DRW I doubt with the weights given you would notice it much but the issues will still be there.

The new behavior will Mostly caused by the inertia around corners by the now higher CG of the tow rig... You will also have a larger wind drag profile so the 6000 pounds of the camper / boat will need more fuel to move then the same weight in a modest 5er

Old 08-28-2007, 02:11 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
thejat

No they do not behave the same

Center of gravity just went forward and UP!! If the truck that was properly set up for 5er pin weights NOW has a slide in and a bumper drag the beast will behave MUCH differently.... especially if SRW...if DRW I doubt with the weights given you would notice it much but the issues will still be there.

The new behavior will Mostly caused by the inertia around corners by the now higher CG of the tow rig... You will also have a larger wind drag profile so the 6000 pounds of the camper / boat will need more fuel to move then the same weight in a modest 5er

Exactly right Fred.

The high CG of the in bed camper as well as the extra wind resistance from the boat and the camper will be different than than the 6k fiver.

I think the high CG will be the most prominent and will need to be watched on turns.

As for the boat even if its a little under 3,000lbs. you will want brakes on it especially with the camper on.

Several months ago we put brakes on my dads boat which weighs about 2700-2900lbs total depending on gear and fuel level. We kept warping rotors on our trucks even when only pulling the boat. I have an 04' SC he has an 03' CC.

We put on a set of electric brakes for under $250 compared to hydraulic which would have cost over $800. The brakes made a huge difference and are a must have IMO.

I would check the tounge weight on the boat, between 200-300lbs is good. The tounge weight can be easily change by moving the winch position front for more weight or back for less weight.

Last edited by dkf; 08-28-2007 at 02:14 PM.