Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Weird starting question...maybe.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
blabla329
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird starting question...maybe.

I have a 2001 f250 v10....my problem is that everynow and then when i turn my truck off and either a few minutes or even hours later when i try to start it...it doesn't want to turn over...the batteries goood cause i just bought it. NOW...here's the weird part... all the lights on the dash come on nice, bright and strong like they should...and it still won't start...BUT...when i put it in neutral it turns over and starts just fine....is this normal? i don't think it is. maybe someone else has had this experience. For some crazy reason i think it might have something to do with my alarm system. cause when i hit my keypad to set the alarm on it chirps once like it should...then a few seconds later it chirps again. it just started doing this recently. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds electrical. Your alarm may be wired into the ignition switch and you might have a short, bad connection or other electrical gremlin.

Does your truck a Manual or Auto tranny?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by blabla329
For some crazy reason i think it might have something to do with my alarm system. cause when i hit my keypad to set the alarm on it chirps once like it should...then a few seconds later it chirps again. it just started doing this recently. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What brand is your alarm? If it is the FORD OEM type, then what you are experiencing is pretty normal as far as the chirps. Mine does the same thing. The first is locking the doors, and then the second is the alarm actually arming itself when the timed doom light goes out.

Also...if you have the ignition disable feature, then you can turn off your SD...and just walk away (do not hit the key fob lock button). If you have the alarm in auto-arm mode, then what happens is the alarm will arm, but only the engine disable feature. When it is time to start your SD, then you have to un-arm or unlock using the key fob...and the SD starts. If you do not, then the truck will not start. Even if all else looks right.

Hope this helps...and is not related to the safety park function with the tranny and/or shift ****.

Good luck...

biz

Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
If it starts in neutral, this sounds like the switch on the side of the tranny is not allowing the starter to engage in Park, but works in Neutral.

Or, you have a bad connection in the dashboard and moving the selector is making it connect.

If you were to go from Park to Neutral and back to Park, does it start?

Does it start if you push the selector up, as in, towards Park?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 PM
blabla329
New User
It has an auto tranny, the alarm is aftermarket...The brand is AVITAL. Also, i have the ignition disable feature..but i turned it off because i didn't like how it would automatically lock the truck. And no...it doesnt work if i go from park to neutral and then back to park....the other problem is that it only does it everynow and then....i'd say like once every couple weeks...if that...so i can't really mess with it to see how to correct it...it just does it when it feels like it. For the most part, it starts and works just fine when starting it in park...like the damm things suppose too. My concern was if you guys sounded like it might be something serious or if it was something i could put off for a while.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:16 PM
F150'94
Senior User
I had a problem similar to this one with my after market remote start. The keyless entry wouldn't work when I would lock the doors from the door panel. I took it back to Circuit City where it was installed and they told me that some the trucks had an security feature that required different wiring. After so much time the truck locks out the door locks or something like that.

I know this isn't a very good description of what happened, but it may be something to look into with aftermarket ignition accessories.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
JR1948
New User
Weird starting question...

We are having the very same problem for a year now with our 2001 F150. It has been in and out of the shop with no possible solution. We figured it to be the alarm system and stopped using the remote, just the lock buttons on the door then it happened again, so now, we use the key or leave it open. I was wondering if you or anyone else having this problem found out exactly what is causing it?

Old 09-25-2007, 03:47 PM
v10lampert
Junior User
when you put the car in park it might not be triggering the switch which allows it to start in park. aka electrical problem

Old 09-25-2007, 10:42 PM
blabla329
New User
It's been doing good now for a while...i'd say about a month or so straight with no problems...and i have continued to use the remote to lock/unlock the truck....no clue what it could have been.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
With my alarm, if one of the doors doesn't close all the way, it'll chirp a second time after arming to notify you that the truck isn't completely closed. I know the older SD's sometimes have an issue where the door will be closed but the truck thinks it's still open (WD-40'ing the latches seems to help). My alarm is a Hornet, which I believe is owned by DEI (I think DEI owns Avital too)....

I know this has nothing to do with the starting issue but thought I'd throw it out there.