2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Question

Visited the local muffler shop, dude said he could do a dual out magnaflow or flowpro for about 275.00.
Which would include the tips, 18 inch long for the magnaflow tips think he said they were 2-1/2 round or could do 22inch (Silverline) 3 inch round.
He would make the pipes and either exit out the back or out the sides.
Told him about the spare tire/factory hitch problems and said he could do it around them with out a problem.

Since I dont know much about exhaust and this would be my first aftermarket exhaust, I wonder if I should let him do it or if i should just spend the extra for the kit.
Will I loose HP/Torque by letting him custom make the pipes?

Need Input..
Thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 PM
iskybantilus
Elder User
his exhaust will not have been engineered and tweeked and tuned with lots of R&D money on a dyno for performance and fitment, thats for sure. and i think i only spent a little over 300 for the flowmaster kit for my truck.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Brolli
Senior User
trust me, save yourself the heatburn and let him install it. you will be more happy.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Yeah, but will i loose the hp/torque in doing so.
Ive email magnaflow about a month ago as to which exhaust to use on a 07 6.5ft box and nobody has emailed me back as of yet.
Ive read the posts about problems with fitment with the factory hitch and melting spare tires. Dont know if these are just isolated instances with maybe getting the wrong kit in the first place.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Corey872
Senior User
Things I would look at:

How competent is this installer? If it is a high performance shop with a good rep, you'd probably be OK. If it's "Mikes Mufflers" who usually does stock exhaust replacement on granny's '84 Olds Delta 88, that might be an issue. Does he plan to use mandrel bent pipe or crush bent? What size pipe does he intend to use? Aluminized pipe or stainless?

We had a post on here not too long ago where a guy went to a local muffler shop and they slapped on their version of dual exhaust. IIRC, he wasn't happy with it and actually had it taken back off.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:01 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Still gotta stop and find out if he is using mandrel or crush bent pipe. However..
Whats the general consensus on this..Magnaflow is impossible to get to answer any emails so as far as the actual kit even fitting on my 07 6.5ft box who knows..
All I know is that some say it works so say it doesnt, some say it melts your spare tire and some have a problem with the rear hitch.
Id like to get a dual exhaust but im clueless in what i need or need to do. I know I dont want to lose HP and torque.
Help

Old 08-23-2007, 03:55 AM
CaptFX4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try posting that question in the exhaust systems forum.. someone maybe able to answer your questions better over there. Sorry i can't help. GL

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 AM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Received 322 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
Yeah, but will i loose the hp/torque in doing so.
What hp and torque are you talking about? If you can provide dynographs proving that a catback actually nets any more hp and torque, please post the info. As far as I'm concerned, catbacks are added for sound and looks, and that's it.
In other words, have him install a custom setup for your truck, just like Brolli suggested. It sounds like the price is right as well, especially considering the extra work involved. Also, as Corey suggested, make sure he has the tools for proper mendrel bends etc, and that this is a true custom exhaust shop.

Last edited by last5oh_302; 08-23-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
What hp and torque are you talking about? If you can provide dynographs proving that a catback actually nets any more hp and torque, please post the info. As far as I'm concerned, catbacks are added for sound and looks, and that's it.
In other words, have him install a custom setup for your truck, just like Brolli suggested. It sounds like the price is right as well, especially considering the extra work involved. Also, as Corey suggested, make sure he has the tools for proper mendrel bends etc, and that this is a true custom exhaust shop.
Sorry, wasnt implying that the magnaflow was going to net more hp/torque, but rather rob the hp/torque that the truck already provides caused by his custom set up vs going with a kit direct from magnaflow.

How can I tell the difference between mendrel bent and crush bent?

Am I better off with stainless pipe or the aluminized stuff?
Thanks

Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 AM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
Sorry, wasnt implying that the magnaflow was going to net more hp/torque, but rather rob the hp/torque that the truck already provides caused by his custom set up vs going with a kit direct from magnaflow.

How can I tell the difference between mendrel bent and crush bent?

Am I better off with stainless pipe or the aluminized stuff?
Thanks
Sorry, but I can't answer whether it will rob any power. My truck is stock. I have a seasonal toy to mod when I get the bug

Mandrel bends are true bends in the piping, without restrictive crimped bends. The pipes look like they were made that way when you see a proper mandrel bend. You'll know what I'm talking about when you look at a crimped bend compared to a mandrel bend. Special tools/machines are used to make these bends, so if this place is a true custom exhaust shop, they'll have these tools.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
iskybantilus
Elder User
the flowmaster kit fits all 04-07 v8 all cab configurations, so i am not sure why any others should fit differently on differnt years.

here is your rear wheel dyno with a magnaflowfor everyone who continues to believe that a well designed and tested exhaust system will make you lose power. improved flow with properly sized and tested pipes will only increase mpg and hp/torque, so long as you drive it the same way with both.

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/maga...ruckinpg03.asp

Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by iskybantilus
the flowmaster kit fits all 04-07 v8 all cab configurations, so i am not sure why any others should fit differently on differnt years.

here is your rear wheel dyno with a magnaflowfor everyone who continues to believe that a well designed and tested exhaust system will make you lose power. improved flow with properly sized and tested pipes will only increase mpg and hp/torque, so long as you drive it the same way with both.

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/05truckinpg03.asp
Dyno tests on the stock SuperCrew prior to installation of the MagnaFlow system showed baselines of 211.8 hp at 4,300 rpm and 308.7 lb-ft of torque at 2,310 rpm. With the MagnaFlow system in place, our SuperCrew hit 227.6 hp at 4,500 rpm and pumped out 310 lb-ft of torque at 2,350 rpm.
Notice how they give you the peak power gains at different rpms. Even though it's only a difference of 200 rpm, there's still a big difference if you look at the graph. Anyone can do this with any graph. They're playing with numbers. It's the total power under the curve that counts. If they advertised the hp at 4300 rpm stock, why wouldn't they give the hp at the same rpm with the catback?

Considering your average stock screw puts down 240 rwhp stock (04-07), I'm not sure how they came up with these numbers at Magnaflow in the article you posted. I'd have to see it to believe it, and I'd also like to know if they added any other mods in the process. I've seen a lot of dyno pulls and the results from modded vehicles in my time, and I've never seen a catback net that much power all on it's own, but hey, who am I to say?

Last edited by last5oh_302; 08-23-2007 at 08:26 AM.