Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Real trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 PM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Real trouble

So my truck is running great i come out of work today and there is a huge puddle of oil on the ground it looks like it is coming out of the pan at the bolts holding the pan up. it also looks to have run down and drip off th bell housing. I have no idea what the hell is going on. I want it straight fellas HOW SCREWED AM I!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
I am under the impressin there is no gasket, so loose bolts, new pan, new truck?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WonderDonkey
So my truck is running great i come out of work today and there is a huge puddle of oil on the ground it looks like it is coming out of the pan at the bolts holding the pan up. it also looks to have run down and drip off th bell housing. I have no idea what the hell is going on. I want it straight fellas HOW SCREWED AM I!
Not really screwed that bad at all. Just need to find the leak and repair it. Most likely a HPO line up top but many an oil leak has been misdiagnosed and ended up being a fuel leak. Look in the valley area of the engine between the valve covers and I am willing to bet you will find a puddle. You need to clean the entire area up and then look closely for where the leak returns. I recommend sopping up as much as you can and then simple green or use your favorite degreaser. Be careful with copious rinsing so as not to short out an electrical connection.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Not tooo screwed,,, look on the top of the motor,,,most likely, HP o rings or turbo pedistal o rings ....Relax.......

Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Clean it all up and see where it starts dripping from. How may miles on the truck. Check to see if it's the rear main seal or possibly leaking at the HPOP. Check the valley on top of the motor to see if you have oil there, that usually runs down the back of the motor and drips from around the bell housing.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
oil is all on the passenger side, i have not looked from above but from below i can see where it is pooling up in and dripping off all passenger side pan bolts and the just as driving happens it blows back. truck has 111,000

Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 PM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
so under futher investigation you guys are right, there is a puddle of god knows what looks like oil, looks like fuel in that valley. the biggest puddles seem to be towards the back, more under the turbo. if i clean it up what exactley am i looking for?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
one other question should i park it till its fixed or add oil and drive?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
How much oil did it loose? Have you cleaned the area to try to find the leak, if so where does it look like its coming from?

Old 08-15-2007, 01:47 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
so under futher investigation you guys are right, there is a puddle of god knows what looks like oil, looks like fuel in that valley. the biggest puddles seem to be towards the back, more under the turbo. if i clean it up what exactley am i looking for?
You are looking for where it came from. If it is low on oil just add some. You are not the first person with this kind of problem. No big deal. Find where it is coming from and repair it.

I thought I had an oil leak too, but found that it was fuel from the bowl due to a loose filter bowl lid right after I bought the truck. By the time it blew back through the dirty valley and made its way to the ground it looked like oil.

And yes, you can drive the truck with a leak as long as it is not a gusher. Just make sure the oil level is good. This includes a fuel leak, but I would be more inclined to repair a fuel leak as urgently as possible.

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 08-15-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:59 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a oil leak just like you talk about..hard to see where its from cause of the fan..I have oil all around the water pump..down the passenger side of oil pan and it drips off of the oil drain valve..doesn't pool on the ground like yours did..I have looked high and low...looks like oil pan leaking..found out yesterday I'm sure it is coming from the CPS..the o-ring must be shot...I am going to pull it this weekend and put in my new one..I hope it fixes the problem..I hate oil leaks...

Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 AM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
All this info is great guys I am going home tonight to clean it up and see if i cant find that leak. I kinda think tenn01 might be right about the fuel, it does not look like oil in that valley but could be. If my water fuel seperator valve was open a little could that get fuel to that valley?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
If my water fuel seperator valve was open a little could that get fuel to that valley?
Yes, but if it is coming from there it is most likely the o-rings that seal the drain. A relatively easy repair.

Check out this article.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 AM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
Right on i will clean it up let it run while i look at it with a mirror and let you guys know whats up, thanks a bunch.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 PM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
I found the leak and i dont know if its good or bad. So i cleaned the valley and started the truck and before i could get a mirror underneath i saw oil flowing out of the HPOP. On top of the pump there is a sensor and a harness. the wires were kinda exposed and oil was flowing up through the sensor and coming out where the wires go into the harness. what do i need?