Sponsored by: DP Tuner

i got a new problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a new problem

today while changing my oil, when i was under the truck , i noticed that i have oil coming from the steering box, i cant see exactly where it is coming from, i use a mirror on a telescoping rod, but i still couldnt see where the leak is exactly. do you guys think that i will have to change out the whole box, and how hard and what steps are involved in doing so, i am not a mechanic but i do know a little bit, so is this job hard for a novice??? also anyone have any ideas what else could be leaking on the steering box, a line maybe??

Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Probably a hose and or fitting at a connection. Not rocket science but you have to pinpoint it to fix it. I recommend some Simple Green clean up and then find where it is. Replacing the pump, (probably not necessary), does involve removing the pulley and installing on the new IIRC.

Do not let this go as the PS system is directly connected to the brake system. When the power steering goes out, your power assist brakes go with it.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
i will look into this tommorow or the next thanks for the info, if it is a line do i just change it out and the add fluid to make up the loss, or do i have to do some sort of bleeding and what not?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Some folks like to do a flush when repairing the PS system. It uses mercon tranny fluid in case you weren't aware of that. You could always simply top it off and drive the air out. Flushing is not mandatory but will assure you a clean fluid is in there.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you by chance turn the steering wheel with the engine off? I know for a fact that will push fluid out of the vent hole on the pump.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by zx250
Did you by chance turn the steering wheel with the engine off? I know for a fact that will push fluid out of the vent hole on the pump.

no not that i know of, its hard to see on top ofthe box and behind it, not much room there, think if i take the wheelwell plastic off i could get a better veiw?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
well i had a good look today at the steering box, and for all i can see and figure out is that i have no lines leaking, and it seems that the oil is coming from where the shaft goes into the steering box, so there must be a seal there that has gone bad, does this sound right to you guys or do you think that the box is toast??

Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mybigredford
well i had a good look today at the steering box, and for all i can see and figure out is that i have no lines leaking, and it seems that the oil is coming from where the shaft goes into the steering box, so there must be a seal there that has gone bad, does this sound right to you guys or do you think that the box is toast??
Your call on replacement...usually , a seal goes bad because the bearing behind it craps out ....Is there any movement in the shaft?....

Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Action4478
Your call on replacement...usually , a seal goes bad because the bearing behind it craps out ....Is there any movement in the shaft?....
not sure i will check tommorow and report back

Old 08-15-2007, 11:22 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Action4478
I am having similiar problems on my truck as well. However, I went into the stealership and talked to a friend/mechanic. Went for a drive and went back took another look, poked and proded a little. Turns out to be my Steering Box is shot. The bearings have crapped out. Next weekend is out replacement date. He told me it was easy to repair, but I would need somekind of special tool to take one piece apart. He's going to take the tool to his place so we can fix it next weekend. Also said they have been replacing the box on other trucks a lot lately.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
well i havent had a chance to check the steering shaft for movement, but it sounds as if thats my problem too, did you by any chance ask the dealership how much they charge to put a new one in for curiosity sake???

Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't ask what it would cost through the dealer, the part is about $500 - $600. The price is through a place called Redhead in South Seattle.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
well i phoned ford just for the hell of it to ask them what a new box will cost, and the guy tells me ( i have an 02) when was my truck built, and i have no idea, he says well if it was built after the 5th month in 02 it will be 500 bucks and if it is built before that it will be 1600 bucks. crazy huh. so then i phone napa, and they ask me if i have a 32 or a 36 spline shaft, and i again say i have no idea, anyways the cost for those ones where 360 and 364. and to continue my investigation i phone one more parts place and they ask my no questions about shaft splines and whatnot, just if it was diesel or not, and thier price was 440. no i want to know, how can i tell how many splines i have, i would like to get the napa part but they have to order either one, so i dont want to order the wrong one, can you guys help me??

Old 08-18-2007, 10:33 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the build date is on a white sticker in the driver side door post..

Old 08-18-2007, 02:00 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
the build date was 02/02 so i have the more expensive one, but i made a mistake, it wasnt 1600 it is 729.00 and the other was 500.

but i want to get the napa one, so i need to find out how many splines i have and ford said they didnt know. anyone have any idea???