N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Do you guys remember when I cut up the Cougar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:58 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys remember when I cut up the Cougar?

It was earlier this Spring, I've have all it pieces loaded in the box trailer, and today decided to go take it down for scrap.

But let me make a few points first

I think I used about 1/2 tank of Oxy.-about 25-30 bucks worth
1/4 tank of Acetelyne-about 20 buck worth
4 days of cutting
Figure about 10 bucks in fuel to run it over today.

Grand total of $33.50

3 cents a pound..

Hell, I drank more in beer cutting it up, than I got for the scrap.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
ouch.

Reminds me of an old customer of mine in a previous life, Rose Blumkin. Until it was purchased by Warren Buffet, Nebraska Furniture Mart was the largest home furnishing store under one roof in the US. The story is told that she once said, "I'm selling these all at a loss. It's OK! I have trainloads of them right out back."

Last edited by AnOldDog; 08-13-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
But it's better than dumping it in the river, or on some farmer's property.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Let's see - you spent more than $60 to make $30 - sounds to me like you need a bigger trailer!

That is my kind of deal!

Welcome to the world of Hot Rods.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yeah Clint, that was kinda of my point.

Other thing that griped me was that I could have left the windshield and windows in things, guy's weren't cnocerned about the glass in the doors...or any plastics mixed in...could have cut my "chop time" in 1/2.

Oh well, I thought I'd be workng for 40 to 50 cents an hour...but looks like I had to pay my own way

Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
That is interesting, you get 4 cents for each can of aluminum you recycle, yet a car is only worth 3 cents per pound.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, sounds like you're not dealing with the right scrap guys...

Not to brag or anything, but I had an '85 Town Car I gutted a year or so ago. Took the body off the frame as I wanted to keep the frame and drivetrain, then ran over body with the Cat a few times and flattened it (that was the fun part!) and then forked it into a cargo box that came in to pick up a load of scrap from us. The guy took the load down to the Bay Area (Fairfield or Vallejo, I think) and gave me 50 bucks for my share the next time he came by. That's not a lot more than you got, but I didn't spend all that time slicing and dicing, just an hour or two taking the body off the frame and then a quart or two of diesel in the compacting process..

Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
As I was heading home, I got to thinking about it. I think the reason I only got 3 cents was, they assumed it was going to mixed with a lot of plastic, glass, etc...but I spent a lot of time separing it to be mostly sheet metal.

What the heck, the trailer is now empty.

Oh, one other thing I found out...when I went to the scale window I gave the guy the "Junk" slip from the DMV for the car, the guy said "we don't need that, as long as it's cut up and doesn't look like a car, we'll take it".

Weird I thought, but they did take my DL and License plate number, so I guess if it was a stolen car they'ed have a way to find me...but as soon as it was unloaded the excavator was tossing it in another pile (I got to watch this as I was blocked in for a bout 10 minutes), then the excavator with the big "snipper" on it, started chopping it and putting it in the seperator bin.

I'd wondered how to off that white MH chassis out back without paperwork on it. Least it'll be easier/faster to cut up.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
DMV will let you junk it - issue a permit for an abandoned junk vehicle left on your property. It take a few bucks and a couple of days fooling around, but lets you get rid of it whole.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
The problem I had with getting the Cougar hauled off,was it didn't have the front and rear end under it, nor the engine and tranny...my guess is the guys who pick them up know there isn't enough weight to make it worth thier while.

The MH chassis I'm talking about doesn't have the engine or tranny either, and the rear is up in LakePort, getting in Dans way...so there's not much weight left here either...all means no real reason to waste time at the DMV, as this chassis will take me about 2 hours to put in the trailer and get it dumped