2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Trailer Battery Charge Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for the double, but I just looked at the stickers---- I see no indication of TT ratings on the door, only GVAR (axles). I dont know if any receiver hitches were actually class III's, but mine was actually a IV, which for WD is adequate up to the TT ratings (9200# except for the EL).

My curiousity is about a potential problem, maybe with insurance, if they use the lower non-tow pkg ratings to deny a claim. That would be even if the upgrades were done. I will go into the "search" mode for that one, but havnt seen that answer to my recollection. My father, years ago, got involved in an insurance issue and the accident was not his fault. He won, but sure did involve a lot of headache. To me this is a valid concern of insurance and laws.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:11 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Insurance?" Such as after a road accident? Not sure what adding higher capacity radiators has to do with road accidents. But I find reading insurance policies the sure cure for insomnia.

As for the OBD2 gage, it reads "Trans Temp 2" on the Ford buss. As to where that sensor is, I've no clue. The boys Aeroforce had my Expedition in their garage for a couple of hours hooked up to a couple of computers to get the Transmission Slip to work. The gage shows good lockup is all gears.

-- Chuck

Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
With insurance companies sometimes looking for a reason not to pay, I wonder if they would ever deny (using the EL as an example) a claim if they determined you were towing an 9000# TT with the STD tow pkg even though you had upgraded the radiator and tranny cooler. The STD pkg is only rated to 6000#. Even though the hitch is rated for 9200#, the STD pkg is not, only the heavy duty tow is rated 9000# for the EL.

May seem like a small issue, but you betcha I will have an answer before I tow. That one rare instance could wipe you out financially.

I have been a fan of tranny temp guages for a long time-------problem with roundtuits. The E4OD uses a TOT sensor (thermistor) and it is located in the solenoid pack below the valve body, which puts it actually measuring the oil temp in the pan. That would actually be cooler than the oil leaving the tranny on its way to the cooler(s). Probably NBD---. Next time roundtuit season gets here, I will get one of those gages, especially for towing. Looks like I have some work to do, now I am curious about tranny slip on the 6 speeds.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 AM
chuck s
Elder User
According to the OBD2 data displayed on my Interceptor gage there is no slip in the 6-speed after a couple of seconds. It locks up in all gears. Certainly in 3 thru 6. Rarely drops to 3 even across the PA turnpike (not at all last weekend). I set the cruise at 62 mph, seems to be a sweet spot. The output is an analog signal so slip numbers below 10 will show.

It's my understanding that transmission slip is the prime cause of heat and that heat is what kills automatic transmissions.

I have the gage in a "temporary" mount on top of the dashboard. Temporary for two years as I can't find an '07 Expedition pillar pod. Just plugs into the OBD2 port.

Beware: Green is blinding at night, even on the lowest setting. I switched to Red but it's invisible in bright sunlight! Maybe Blue is better depending where mounted? With the 9000 pound HD towing package and a 5000 pound trailer, though this data is merely interesting, not vital.

-- Chuck

Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 AM
hookd
Senior User
yeh chuck I thought about getting one of those gauges but I am towing a max of 7.5k so I figured its withing the rating why drop 250 on the gauge but it would be nice to be able to play around with and give the wife something to complain about (another one of my toys on her car lol). we are towing across the continental divide and up to glacier national park next week so I will let you know if I regret not having the gauge or not. I'm sure the rig will handle it but it will be the first long trip towing with the new trailer so I'll have to try the 62 sweet spot I've been hitting around 65 normally. thanks for the info.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:16 AM
chuck s
Elder User
62 mph just seems to let the truck run in 6th and 5th gears most of the time with cruise control engaged.

But the Appalachians ain't the Rockies! I'm sure we remain below 3000' ASL and you start out at 3300'. Altitude degrades pulling power by 3% to 4% per 1000 feet so your truck will work harder than mine and may need a lower gear compared to mine.

-- Chuck