1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anyone feel guilty.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone feel guilty.....

Hey out there.I was wonderin if anyone who is using the HEI style dist. for the Ford engines felt guilty about it since it is GM technology?Seriously, I am going to "repent" soon and right all my wrongs, I'm goin to put a 351W in my 1956 F100 truck"Pegysu" Right not I have a 305 chevy small block.It runs ok?, but I'd like to make it ALL Ford.I have an old points style dist, and I was tryin to decide whether to use the HEI style dist, or use one of them Pertronix electronic ignintion conversion kits? Anyone had eny experience with either of these dists?My plans include: An IRS from a 1992 Cougar(My way), I am also goin to use the IFS front end out of the same car.Currently I have a 1976 Nova subframe.Like I said I'm goin to go all FORD.I have this 351W and I'm goin to use a C6 tranny, with the gears out of an E40D(1st and 2nd are lower than standard C6)I have a pretty healthy 351W I just built.I noticed that B/B Ford has one of the HEI style dists. There are a few people who have "knocked off" these dists. anyone know anything about these knock offs? The engine is more or less stock, it has a performance cam, and a little head work, with an Edelbrock Performer intake, and carb on it.I'm goin to use a set of stock Lightning headers.The only thing about these dists are they scream GM!!! and since a Ford dists is in the RIGHT place, it will be very visable.Right now I have a Ford rubber boot over my HEI on my sbc, and a Ford Motorsport breather, and repro Y block Ford stickers on the valve covers.I tell my truck club I'm real ashamed of what I have done!When it cools off a little I'm goin to work on my truck.Right now its too HOT!!!

Later dudes

Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the Pertronix Blue Cap HEI in my former 56 with a 302. It worked great but as you say has the GM "look". Why not think about the Pertronix breakerless electronic units that use an external coil. Should get the performance without the GM "look".

Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No guilt here! Whatever will help my Ford run it's best I'm for. You could always put a Blue Oval sticker on it.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
No question in my mind that GM had us home mechanics in mind when they designed their dizzies. The weights and springs are right there, it takes a fraction of the time to work on them compared to most others. BUT... the HEI is just too big and ugly with the coil in the cap. Especially on a flathead where there aren't those annoying valve covers to hide stuff around....

I bought an MSD ready-to-run dizzy, which uses all the GM parts but uses a remote coil. I have not regretted it for a minute. It "almost" looks stock and the improvement is unbelievable.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don,t agree that they look ugly, I think it adds a' High Performance' look. Granted it would not look right on a "stocker".

Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
LOL....since I don't feel a bit guilty about stuffing 500 cubic inches of Caddy engine into my 49 I didn't even bat eye at updating my dizzie to HEI

Bobby

Old 08-09-2007, 06:38 AM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It "almost" looks stock and the improvement is unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

Ross, with no other changes, the improvement is huge?

Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
I was thinkin

I was kind of thinkin of goin with the Pertronix system.The one with the breakerless points deal, with the external coil.That way it would look kind of stock? I'm also goin to go with an old Edsel breather this time.I wanted the engine to look sort of stock, with just a little custom goodies.I do like the GM HEI setup, and love the simplicity of it.It's just so UGLY!but with the coil in cap design, it would eliminate the need for a coil wire, and a coil mounted next to the dizzy.I just wanted to know how they performed?How does the pertronix setup (points conversion) performs?

Later

Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
The GM HEI unit does have the simplicity of being a single wire hook up, which if you combine with the GM one wire alternator sure simplifies the underhood wiring.

Earlier this year I bought a 65 Falcon, it has a 170ci inline 6. There is a Pertronix unit installed in the car and so far I havent had a bit of problems with it. Since I never drove the car with it being a points set up I can't give you a before and after comparison. I would say, go for it. HEI is always going to be better than a mechanical points system.

Bobby

Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 AM
1Digger
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have an HEI in mine, and a Powermaster 1 wire alt, all on a 88 Cougar 5.0 engine in my 53. While I have yet to roadtest it, I think it looks great, and runs pretty darn good too. Less clutter under the hood, shows off the engine. I have an Edelbrock Perfomer intake and carb, aluminum Ford Racing Valve covers and ceramic coated equal length shorty headers. I threw in a set of Livewires plug wires. For little ol' me, I think it looks pretty cool.
IMHO, you will be doing a LOT of extra work trying to get rid of what you already have. But then again, I have always held to the "its your truck, build what you want" mantra.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by raerjim
It "almost" looks stock and the improvement is unbelievable.
Ross, with no other changes, the improvement is huge?[/QUOTE]

Yes! (I do have an alternator, which is equally a huge improvement, and may be necessary to provide clean power to the unit)

With the MSD and a more or less universal stock coil, no MSD-6x unit, the engine will sit at idle and not miss even once in 5 minutes. With points, that never happened. At the moment I don't have the correct ($40) adjustable vac advance unit, so I am just running on mechanical advance. Even like that it pulls so-o-o-o much cleaner from low RPM to 3,000 and up, compared to the Load-A-Matic.

What I don't like about Pertronix systems is that they use the breaker cam as a trigger (at least all the ones I've seen). The "edges" of the breaker cam just aren't as accurate a trigger as a reluctor wheel that the HEI and MSD use. So the Pertonix may fire the plugs more consistently than points, but cylinder-to-cylinder variation can be significant. It also does nothing to get rid of that Load-A-Matic advance that cannot be adjusted. Also, the MSD/HEI parts are available everywhere.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Yeah

I'lll probably go with the HEI setup, I've been used to it for so long.As for alot of changing, and yes it IS my truck, but I REALLY want it to be all FORD.I've never been happy with the sorry 125HP 305 sbc, in a 3500# truck.It gets about 14 mpg, and dont have alot of power.I'm not goin to do this until I get my 1956panel truck done enough to drive.It's just goin to be a primer rod, with some very interesting updates.Then the fun starts.I was thinkin about goin with one of them knock offs, and just keepin a new set of good HEI electronics in the truck just in case? The knock offs are about $125, as opposed to the DUI which is the one who invented it but theirs is about$250.What do yall think?

Later

Old 08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
1Digger
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've had both of them in my hands. The knock off doesn't look so bad by itself. Put it next to the DUI and you can tell the DUI is just plain better. Plus, you can call them and actually talk to a person who speaks english!
I've actually got the knock off still, in its' box, never installed. I wasn't sure if it would work with the roller cam and decided not to take the chance.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
I'lll probably go with the HEI setup, I've been used to it for so long.As for alot of changing, and yes it IS my truck, but I REALLY want it to be all FORD.I've never been happy with the sorry 125HP 305 sbc, in a 3500# truck.It gets about 14 mpg, and dont have alot of power.I'm not goin to do this until I get my 1956panel truck done enough to drive.It's just goin to be a primer rod, with some very interesting updates.Then the fun starts.I was thinkin about goin with one of them knock offs, and just keepin a new set of good HEI electronics in the truck just in case? The knock offs are about $125, as opposed to the DUI which is the one who invented it but theirs is about$250.What do yall think?

Later
Did you realize that the D.U.I. cap measures 5 1/4" in diameter, while the Duraspark cap diameter is very close to it at 5"?

Also, the DUI is only 3/4" taller than the Duraspark.

We offer both versions in order to meet all preferences.

If you decide to get a new distributor, consider our custom curved Duraspark Distributor built with our new Full Length Oil Impregnated Bronze Bushing. The full length bushing improves timing stability and spark scatter. If stock appearance is not an issue, take a look at our one piece D.U.I. Distributor. Whether you choose the Duraspark or the D.U.I., we curve each on a distributor machine based on your engine combination. Please see them at:

http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddistributor.htm

Also, there is now an excellent installation article on the D.U.I. Distributor on the Ford-Trucks.com site at:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/358/article/DUI_Ignition_Installation_In_A_Ford_351W_V8.html

Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
from the beginning of my engine planning the DUI was the only one on the list. I have a friend who is the Ford guru. Worked as an engineer for Ford. Been involved in Racing for years. This guy IS Ford. Some might know his name... Bill Hamner.

You might have also heard the name in racing circles. His son Jeff is the owner/builder of Hamner Racing Engines and his teenaged grandson Josh is a local (regional) driver who's making his way to the top level of Nascar.

Bill was a great part of the Hueytown Gang (Alabama Gang) for years and is on first name basis with names like Lee Iacocca and Ed Iskendarian. I'm fortunate to have him for a friend, and even more so to have him as a mentor on my engine build. We sat down on Saturday morning at my kitchen table and started talking parts and pieces for my 460. We talked pistons and valves and lifters and such, the advantages of rollers versus flats and cam angles.

When we got to distributor, it was the only one he would recommend. So for me it's written in stone. I don't question this man's ideas.

later
John