Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Tire troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:53 AM
4wd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire troubles?

Just got done having my newish (5000mi old) Cooper tires re-balanced. It started bouncing quite noticably at 62 mph, and got nothing but worse from there on up. I bought these tires in January and put picts of them on this web and really like the agressive tread design. Tire size is 275/70 R18 ATR with 'E' load rating. They were out of balance quite a bit, but no excessive or irregular wear noted yet. No, it didn't throw the old weights off, they were still on the rims, and yes, spin balanced on a machine.

The tire dealer included free balancing every 5000 mi in the sale, so that was a free-be, but I was charged to rotate them $27. I've had no problems with any of these tires outside of the balancing, no flats, no leakers, bite good and I like them, but now am a little leery of the balancing factor. I wonder if this balancing job will hold past the next 5000 mi check? Most of my driving is 2 lane or gravel at slower speeds--50 mph. Not a lot of heavy hauling unless you consider constantly carrying a portable 100 gal fuel tank and some tools and parts (1200 max) and occasionally pulling anhydrous tanks (wt 5000# ea) a heavy haul.

I'm not raising the red flag on these tires yet, just letting you know if you buy a set, try and get a free 5000 mi balancing warranty as mine sure needed re balancing. It drives great now. They are a bit pricey at $1086+tax Mtd&Bal with new valve stems for 4..

Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 AM
bronco521
Elder User
is it possible the wheel spun inside the tire?i've had this happen before,though not on one of my regular drivers.usually on my bronco when the tires are aired down.i would suspect either the wheel spun for some reason or there is a broken belt in the tire.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I usually purchase my tires at DiscountTires...and they include the valve stems, pro-rated road hazard, and FREE balance and rotate for life of tires. Just one less maintenance item I have to do.

However, I do check there 150-165 ft/lbs on the lugs...when I get home.

In regards to your Coopers, if they balanced...and are doing fine now, then you should be good to go. Keep in mind...that just because you do the FREE balance every 5000 miles, does not mean you need them to rotate the tires too. IMO...balance every 5k...and rotate every 10k. Save you some...

biz

Old 08-04-2007, 11:03 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Unless your rear tires are bald, it's not V10-related, is it?

In regards to the Coopers...

I put 265/75R16 A/T's on my '01 a few years back. They were OK - wore out WAY too fast, even the fronts

Balance was perfect. However, they weren't the ATR's you're talking about.

When it came time to get new tires, the Cooper ATR's were just too expensive compared to the Goodyear SilentArmors (hope I didn't make a mistake there)... They were very close in price, and could not be gotten in an E-rated tire - at least easily. So, D-rated Coopers or E-rated Goodyears (with severe snow rating) for almost the same price?

No brainer for me.

I was amazed at the Cooper's price. They always used to be so much less than other brands while giving the same quality - now? I don't know.

Did they get bought up by someone?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:31 AM
bronco521
Elder User
i don't know if they got bought out,don't think so,but they are a heckuva lot bigger than they used to be.they make the pro-comp tires and have alot more different lines of coopers than before.the mud tires look just like the toyo m/ts i just put on my bronco this year.

i like the nitto at on my truck.nice looking tire and quiet on the road and soooo much better in the snow than the conti's.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:57 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bronco521
i don't know if they got bought out,don't think so,but they are a heckuva lot bigger than they used to be.they make the pro-comp tires and have alot more different lines of coopers than before.the mud tires look just like the toyo m/ts i just put on my bronco this year.

i like the nitto at on my truck.nice looking tire and quiet on the road and soooo much better in the snow than the conti's.
I believe Cooper makes Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires as well. Cooper tires seem to be somewhat softer than other tires out there, so they wear a little fast. As far as grip go, they seem to grip well.

The tire probably spun on the rim from the massive V10 power.

Balancing is something I neglect to get done, however I get tires rotated every year. But I'm happy if I can get 35,000 miles out of a set of tires.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:53 PM
4wd
Elder User
Quote: "it's not V10-related, is it?"
OOOPS" your right Krewat, but at least I didn't put any picture in and screw up the guys with dial up

Besides, I got some good replys here in V-10 land. I agree and do think these Coopers are a little soft compared to the factory Continentals I had been running and got 18k out of them without a single balance or rotation job. But you couldn't give me another set of Conti's . These Coopers really do bite, even if they went out of balance in the first 5k miles. We'll see how they do the next 5k.

Thanks guys for the replys, and I promise I will try and talk only V-10 related stuff, but wait, these tires are behind a V-10 .
Mark

Old 08-04-2007, 03:18 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd
Quote: "it's not V10-related, is it?"
OOOPS" your right Krewat, but at least I didn't put any picture in and screw up the guys with dial up

Besides, I got some good replys here in V-10 land. I agree and do think these Coopers are a little soft compared to the factory Continentals I had been running and got 18k out of them without a single balance or rotation job. But you couldn't give me another set of Conti's . These Coopers really do bite, even if they went out of balance in the first 5k miles. We'll see how they do the next 5k.

Thanks guys for the replys, and I promise I will try and talk only V-10 related stuff, but wait, these tires are behind a V-10 .
Mark
I'd just run em' and see if they come out of balance again. If they do you have to have a chat with the dealer you bought them from.

My Dick Cepek FC-2s love to hold stones (Big Deep Tread) from the driveway and roads. On the way home from the mountains some time ago my tires we loaded with stones from the gravel roads and I could tell that threw them out of balance. I could feel some shake on the highway. After about 50miles they magically balanced themselves.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 AM
bronco521
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
I believe Cooper makes Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires as well. Cooper tires seem to be somewhat softer than other tires out there, so they wear a little fast. As far as grip go, they seem to grip well.

The tire probably spun on the rim from the massive V10 power.

Balancing is something I neglect to get done, however I get tires rotated every year. But I'm happy if I can get 35,000 miles out of a set of tires.
i was pretty sure they made the mickeys as well,but didn't know for sure so didn't mention it.i've got nitto's on my truck now and will want something else before they are worn out so milleage isn't an issue for me either.had them since november and only have 3000 miles on them,but i do like them.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
4WD,

Why did your dealer charge you to rotate the tires? They all had to come off anyway to be balanced. Pretty expensive, $27.00, to put the tire on a different corner. Should have given you a discount for the tires that were closer than where they were removed from.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 AM
4wd
Elder User
Yep 60cj, you're quite correct. The truck hoist they had me on was at the far end of the shop from where the tire work is done. So, the distance rolling the tires across the shop floor to the balancer was about equal, but you are right. They had them off to balance anyway, why not put them back on rotated free??? I guess that wasn't part of the deal when I bought them . Next 5k free balance I am going to follow the advice above and NOT rotate...That should be a free-be then .Thanks for all the imput guys!
Mark

Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think I would also let them know that the next set of tires that I buy would be from another dealer. They may change their attitude.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 PM
bucky440
Senior User
Originally Posted by krewat
Unless your rear tires are bald, it's not V10-related, is it?

In regards to the Coopers...

Did they get bought up by someone?

I was under the impression that Cooper was owned by Goodyear Tire for many years now. I had Cooper built, private labled for PEP BOYS, Daytonas on my old 3/4 ton Suburban and was pleased with them, especially the price.