Sponsored by:

4x4 maintainence

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:22 AM
brick186
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 maintainence

Im looking at a 93 I6 f150 4x4 in ok condition but my dad argues that I should stay away from 4wd because of gas and maintainence issues. The ruck that hes pushing is almost the same truck but 2wd and the same price. I intend to put about another $1000 dollars into it with a cold air intake, new muffler, O2 sensors, spark plugs, etc so the improved mileage should be the same if not better than 2wd. My question is what sort of expensive repairs existe in 4wd that aren't in 2wd? Also, if something did break wouldn't 2wd still work? thanks

Old 08-01-2007, 12:46 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Understand that I am not going against you fathers opinion, because 'fathers know best' so listen to him.
Additional 4wd maintenance would only really include the lube in the transfer case, and front axle. Sure there are plenty of moving parts, amd it could be argued that u-joints will need to be replaced, but this is a given, and the perodic intervals could be greatly decreased with the use of locking hubs since they will eliminate the rotation of the front axle assembly. Now there are still front bearings that will need to be serviced, but this is not any different than a typical 2wd. I do not drive 2wd trucks so I really cant tell you that there is a big difference in mileage. I do not believe there is. Plus I am an off-roader so it would not matter to me anyway.
If something breaks you could just use 2wd, provided that the component that broke does not affect the trucks ability to roll.
Now the real maintenance comes from the amount of 4wd use it will see. You sound a little new to the 4wd world, so I assume you will get your feet wet, and take it out in the sticks and bury this thing, and there will be some mud, and water involved. This is normal, and having the ability to work on the truck is important. You will find yourself in situations that you would otherwise not be in if you only had a 2wd truck. I think this is what dear old dad is getting at. You will have to stay on top of the stuff you use, and a 4wd will keep you busy simply because you will be using it a lot. Nothing wrong with that, but you need to know what you are getting yourself into.
Maybe buy the truck that dad recommends, and save some money, for an old beater 4x4 to learn with, so you don't tear up your daily driver. Then both of you are winnners. Dads know best.........

Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
75F350 covered it all very well, i will add a couple of things though

you NEED to run 4 wheel drive at least once a month. this keeps the seals and joints in check. it also helps to lube up the hubs. thats another thing, if it has automatic hubs... ditch'em and get milemarker premiums or warn premium lockouts!

you will lose a slight bit of fuel mileage due to the extra weight of the front axle and t-case but its so minimal you shouldnt worry about it. tire pressures would make more of a difference!

well it could still be driveable in 2wd. if you break a front axle shaft or driveshaft or somehow manage to shatter a yoke, yea you can get home and drive it anywhere all you want. however you break the parts that a 2wd has (wheel bearings, rear driveshaft/yoke, etc) no you are not going to be able to get home. unless if course you pull the rear driveshaft, put it in 4x4 and then limp home in front wheel drive!

hope that helps some and good luck with your purchase.... sounds like you will prolly be back here, lol

-cutts-