Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flowmaster exhaust, want loud

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 PM
occlefty1086
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flowmaster exhaust, want loud

i just bought a 95 f150 with the 351, i wanna put flowmaster cat back system on it to save money but i want a loud sound, wat would be the best to do to get a loud sound but not spend big bucks, and is the flowmaster really worth it?
any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 PM
chaseface84
Senior User
try the right forum its a little ways down the forums page

Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to FTE. I've moved your post from the 2009 F150 section to the proper section. Be sure and check the section before posting. You'll find you'll get them answered that way!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Kokee
New User
flowmaster exhaust

I've got a 91 F-250 and am looking to increase the power throughout the range too. I'm think'n that duals might be a good idea, but I'm going to ask around about the fitment and quality of the kits out there. So hopefully we both get some answers. What you guys say out there!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 AM
92F150Flare
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE you two.

You have asked the $64,000 question..... I think exhaust gets asked here more than anything else. Lots of posts about it.....try a search.

Now....my opinion....anything you do to the exhaust to open it up is going to help a little. In addition to taking air out, you need to get more air into the motor. These two should be done relatively close to each other for best results. Always "some" MPG and power increase.

Flows have been around forever.....rather expensive because they are considered to be one of the best. They offer a variety of mufflers that give different amounts of backpressure and loudness. The 40 series is their LOUD and in most cases will cause resonance in the cab when the motor is at various RPM. They have a 50 series that is sposed to be a little quieter.

Lots of other companies make Flow look and sound-a-likes and are less money. Look at places like Summit, Jegs, JC Whitney and even some of our sponsors up at the top of the page, for complete systems if you want to do it yourself.

Many here run plain old glass packs......Loud, snappy, poppy sound from days gone by.......Some here even run pure straight pipes, both with and without cats. If you keep your cats......go to hi-flow if you are interested in the "power" and sound.

I found that a local shop could and would do the work for about the same money as buying a system and doing it myself. Plus.....many have similar customers that you can sometimes hear before you do it. And...you have someone to yell at if there is a problem.

Our systems are unique in that the drivers side will cross over and run along with the passenger side till they clear the fuel tanks....then separate and end wherever you want.....out the side in front of the rear wheels...out the back......behind the wheels....all your choices.

Lots more are going to chime in here.....but look around.....listen to other trucks.....shop and have fun with it........You'll end up with a good sound and "some" help in other areas.

Good Luck
Bob

Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Liemavick
Senior User
Originally Posted by occlefty1086
i just bought a 95 f150 with the 351, i wanna put flowmaster cat back system on it to save money but i want a loud sound, wat would be the best to do to get a loud sound but not spend big bucks, and is the flowmaster really worth it?
any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Flowmaster 40, exhaust out the side in front of the tire. Ditch the cat if you want louder. Local shop did it for $160 including muffler.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 978 Likes on 772 Posts
Nothing you do to the exhaust including cutting it right off will make it truely loud if the stock cats are still there. With a high flow cat the Flowmaster Super40 is LOUD!! You have to raise your voice to talk inside the truck with the engine at 2000rpm. The bark that comes out the tailpipe startles people on the sidewalk. I have a 3.5" side exit in the standard location BTW.