Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP Ford on Road Dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:04 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper01
Not sure how to do the link but there is another thread started by Rascal1 on loss of power and someone relayed some info that looks like it may apply to your situation.
Open the reference in your internet browser, then highlight this web URL in the upper window of the browser, and paste it into the FTE edit window, and then select preview to make sure it looks ok, and then hit submit.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd be looking at the wiring to the IPR......

Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Just read this....

In my trouble shooting efforts before I had the codes read I uncovered a BIG problem that I never have seen before posted here or on other sites and seems to reason that this was very IMPORTANT on all of these 7.3L engines. The closest thread that I could find was dealing with replacing the CPS Cam Position Sensor when the engine would began running poorly or would just die while driving on the highway. I had replaced the CPS and this problem still existed.I could not get passed the feeling that this was a electrical problem I was chasing .
Problem # 2
I found that the wiring harness that has a brass looking bolt through it that holds the wiring plug through the firewall into the on board computer the GEM Generic Computer Module was loose . I could move the GEM inside the cab or wiggle the mass plug under the hood at the drivers side firewall and the engine would die, just as if I was on the highway and hit a bump which we have a lot's of here in South Louisiana .

I found that I could duplicate the problem by simply moving either of these 2 parts [the outside connector or the GEM itself. The factory protector box was missing when I bought the truck 2nd hand. I simply tightned the single bolt in the harness after making sure it was plugged in all the way into the GEM. There are numerous engine connectors that have these securuty bolts through tham. I feel that this harness bolt had loosned through time, extreme use and temperature changes.

The combination of these two problems has baffled me for months.
I truly hope that this will help other F-250 owners should they experience simular problems.
Clark

Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Finally fixed - Hopefully

Took it to the dealer this morning and explained my situation to him. He said the glow plug light staying on was the key. That means a short to ground. The SES light and water in fuel light somehow led him to the main engine wiring harness. He said there has been a TSB issued on this where the wiring harness rubs against either the valve cover, or in my case the side of a hole in a bracket the wires run through. He removed the plastic "protective" wrap and found 2 wires where the insulation had been rubbed through. He said the short in these 2 wires was trying to cause the the PCM to reset causing all my problems.

FYI. The wiring harness involved is on the driver side under and just barely in front of the plastic turbo intake hose. There is a square box mounted to the engine and the wires coming off that is apparently a fairly common issue with the 7.3's. The mechanic said this was covered when he went to the Ford diesel school.

He also stated that the other 2 common harness problems are either in the steering column where the harness has slipped and is rubbed by the linkage, or some trucks have wiring that rubs against the top of the driver shock. My 02 does not have the wiring over the shock but he said some do.

Thanks for all the input and I hope & pray this guy was right.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
Took it to the dealer this morning and explained my situation to him. He said the glow plug light staying on was the key. That means a short to ground. The SES light and water in fuel light somehow led him to the main engine wiring harness. He said there has been a TSB issued on this where the wiring harness rubs against either the valve cover, or in my case the side of a hole in a bracket the wires run through.
Hmm, same harness Gene was checking (he doesn't like the term fooling around with) on my engine despite there being nothing wrong. Hope you're good now.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 PM
elvia
Senior User
Well, I guess myself and lots of others will be checking our wiring harness tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by elvia
Well, I guess myself and lots of others will be checking our wiring harness tomorrow.
You have to remove the turbo inlet hose to really get to the wires so you might as well clean and check things out while your there. Also add a roll of electrical tape to the CPS you keep in the glove box.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F350-6
You have to remove the turbo inlet hose to really get to the wires so you might as well clean and check things out while your there. Also add a roll of electrical tape to the CPS you keep in the glove box.
Below are two pics with the hose removed. In the first pic, you should be able to slide your fingers between the wire bundle and the valve cover as you can see I did from the disturbed dust pattern on the valve cover just before I took the pic and started doing my CCV mod. DON'T mess with these wires when the engine is running because they carry 120 VDC to the injectors!

Attached Images   
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 860 Likes on 649 Posts
I did that and it was starting to wear through the outer layer of insulation. A lot of turns with electrical tape with a semi-annual check added to the service list for me.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 PM
elvia
Senior User
thanks for the pics. Now, I know what I will be looking for.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Why don't I have a little triangle with the red border in my upper right hand corner like everyone else? I just noticed this, and I'm already starting to feel paranoid about it!

Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
Why don't I have a little triangle with the red border in my upper right hand corner like everyone else? I just noticed this, and I'm already starting to feel paranoid about it!
It is to report a bad post to the admin. you can't report your own posts. you have a triangle that is visible to us, just not you. Calm down everythings o.k.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:51 AM
elvia
Senior User
What is the oter symbol mean, the one that looks like a tree or something? It is a link to somewhere. Didn't want to click it since I didn't want to say something I didn't know what I was saying LOL

Old 08-04-2007, 08:54 AM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the oter symbol mean, the one that looks like a tree or something? It is a link to somewhere. Didn't want to click it since I didn't want to say something I didn't know what I was saying LOL
Rep points. hold your mouse over it and a note will pop up telling you what it is for.

Dave

Old 08-04-2007, 02:31 PM
elvia
Senior User
I just went in and taped up the wire bundle that eugene posted pics of last night. There was one wire that was beginning to show some wear on it.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: HELP Ford on Road Dead