1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:23 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Read the ratings at Tirerack.com

Customer survey on Offroad A/T tires that Tirerack.com sells shows ratings in order:

Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
Firestone Destination A/T
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
General Grabber AT 2
Kumho Road Venture AT 825
Kumho Road Venture AT KL-78
Michelin 4x4 XPC
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Michelin LTX A/T
Pirelli Scorpion A/T
Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT
Yokohama Geolandar A/T Plus II
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 II
Dunlop Radial Rover RV
Goodyear Wrangler GS-A
General AmeriTrac TR

Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
redford
MT tires are rated in this order:

Firestone Destination M/T
Kumho Road Venture MT 834
Bridgestone Dueler M/T D673
Dunlop Radial Rover R/T
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
Yokohama Geolandar M/T Plus
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM
Dunlop Radial Mud Rover
Goodyear Wrangler TD

Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's interesting Redford, thanks. After looking at the list I see tires listed higher than others that I don't think are A/T or M/T tires. I guess they're classified that way appropriately, as I don't know where or how they ought to be classified, but it sure makes me think that the reviews are definitely influenced in how the vehicles must be used. As an example, I know someone with those Pirellis and to compare them against some of the other A/T, as an all-terrain, seems crazy to me. But, I bet they last better and ride better than some of the others and when it comes down to it there are so many different people out there running tires for a particular application that I no longer "trust" the ratings. There are just way too many variables to make the comparisons worth much to me. Another example, Goodyear MT/R tires are not mud terrain tires...

Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ace!
Another example, Goodyear MT/R tires are not mud terrain tires...
What would you consider them? I think pretty much all off road tires are considered mud tires, even if they aren't necessarily meant for mud. I don't think you're ever going to see the bigger tire stuff broken down into mud tires, trail tires, rock tires, etc.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
feusaf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I went to Sears this morning and bought 5 Goodyear SilentArmor 285/75/16s. The tires look damn good on the truck and the ride home with the windows down was abnormally quiet. I'd have to say these are some of the quietest A/T tires I've ever bought.

The only problem I had with Sears was after they did the alignment...the Toe was pretty far out on the fronts, they straighted that out, but now my steering wheel points at the 10 O'clock position when I'm driving down a straight road. Looks like I'll be going back to them tomorrow and getting the steering wheel straightened out. Just hope they don't charge me for it.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
What would you consider them? I think pretty much all off road tires are considered mud tires, even if they aren't necessarily meant for mud. I don't think you're ever going to see the bigger tire stuff broken down into mud tires, trail tires, rock tires, etc.
I would consider them rock tires (maximum traction/reinforced).

But that's my point, there are categories for mud or a/t and they have to be put in a category, so they are placed in a category that creates very broad opinions that don't necessarily add a lot of value.

If you asked a rockcrawler what tires they use, before the BFG Krawler came out, they'd have said the Goodyear MT/R. If those guys posted on tireracks opinion polls they'd probably be saying things like the BFG MT is blowing sidewalls like crazy and that Goodyear MT/R is the best thing since sliced bread. Then, you ask someone that runs in sticky gumbo mud and they'd tell you they wouldn't buy another Goodyear MT/R if they were a nickel a piece and came with a free toaster.

I'm just saying that reading all the posts here, on other forums, and on opinion sites it's more difficult to get a good idea of what a tire can offer you (the individual consumer) UNLESS you can get a really good idea of what vehicle, what part of the country, and what uses the owner puts their vehicle/tires through. A forum specific to your vehicle is probably much better than 10X the number of opinions from people that don't drive the same conditions. So, if you go to tirerack.com or any other site that has a rating system, you have to weed out more than you would think to find a valuable rating.

Another way to think of it (if you're familiar with these tires) is how many people would rate a Swamper high, or a BFG MT, or a GY MT/R? It would be very specific to the user. If a thousand people each had tried all three you'd have a lot of people complaining about the wear of the Swamper or how loud it is. You'd have a small percentage saying it's the only tire that can get them to their favorite fishing hole, and you'd probably get a whole bunch of people in the middle that say the BFG MT does "ok" for most things, eventhough it's probably the better tire for most people that do a mix of things. Then, throw a few people in there that tow over the interstate in the winter time through mountain passes and you'd get a whole slew of opinions that doesn't mesh with the rest. I think the rating system at tirerack.com is very difficult to draw conclusions from and a tire that is more in the middle of the pack is probably the true best of the bunch because it probably does more well than the tires that are more specific to a certain task; although they're rated somewhere in the middle.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
redford
Well, that is what is nice about Tirerack.com. You can read actual reviews from consumers that have similiar vehicles.

Suppose maybe a Dueler A/T Revo may be a great tire for a Ranger but wear out too fast for a heavy F-350. You can read the reviews from the F-350 owners to see how they rated the tire. (That was just a hypothetical example, don't beat me up over it)

Old 07-28-2007, 12:18 PM
av10
New User
A few tire shops have recommended the michelin LTX AT/2 to replace the
factory continentals. They also come in an E load.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:39 PM
jetch114
Senior User
hey feusaf...post a pic of your new tires on your truck..

Old 07-28-2007, 08:41 PM
redford
Originally Posted by av10
A few tire shops have recommended the michelin LTX AT/2 to replace the
factory continentals....
Bald recaps ar better than the factory Continental Coni-Craps.. I'm not real fond of Michelins, I think they are overpriced and over-rated, ut if you want a French tire the Michelin 4x4 XPC has a much higher rating.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 PM
feusaf
New User
Here's the Pics!

I think the tires look real good on the truck. Helluva lot better traction than the Coopers I had on it before.

I took these pics with my camera phone, and they're not that great...don't mind the dirty truck, she's beggin' to be washed.

Jim

Old 07-29-2007, 03:05 PM
redford
You're right, they do look damn good!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
redtrucktwo
Freshman User
WAY COOL! pro grade too! congrats!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:43 PM
feusaf
New User
Pro Grade? Never even looked at the tires long enough to notice that!!! Is that Goodyears way of saying that I have "special" tires?!?!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by feusaf
Pro Grade? Never even looked at the tires long enough to notice that!!! Is that Goodyears way of saying that I have "special" tires?!?!
"Pro Grade" is Goodyears designation on the few Load D & E range truck tires it has in the Wrangler Silent Armor line.

Quick Reply: Tires?