1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How perfect does it have to be

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
How perfect does it have to be

I was just wondering how many of you are having the same thoughts that I am in wondering just how perfect our trucks have to be. When all this started back in one of the months in 1999 when I stopped at a magazine rack and picked up a magazine with a pretty 56 pickup on the front cover. Well it got my few lonly brain cells thinking, that's what you need. The search didn't take all that long until I found a pickup and a panel. Needing one so badly I brought both of them home, so happy now that I had what I thought I really needed, I started to take a good look at what I had, it wasn't good. But being the alfa male that I am, ya, I can do this. The pickup being pretty much a wash I decided that the panel was the best choice to start with,but that's another story altogether. I only really started work on it two years ago and mostly on the weekends, it's taken some time but the body is just about complete. I'm in the process of applying body filler over the patched up areas. This is where I'm beating myself, although I'd like to have that show room quality finish, I've come to the realization that I do not possess that ablity and I can't afford to take it to a body shop to finnish it either. It doesn't look bad from far but it's far from good. How many of you go through this dilema? I've been to quite a few show and shines in several different towns and looked at what quality of finnish there was and most are in need of body repair but the owners are quite happy the way they are, why can't I be happy with what I have. Okay I'll stop rambling now and maybe I can paint it in cammo.
John

Old 07-24-2007, 04:39 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how perfect it gets is directly dependent on what you will be satifiyed with and how much time your willing to spend on it. when i look at a car or truck i notice every little ripple or dent or scratch or even a slight bit of orange peel in the paint. im sure ill have some imperfections on my 59 but its a driver not a show truck, and as long as it looks good and theres no huge ripples or runs or dents ill be happy with it.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel your pain! I did the bodywork on my 56. I'm going for a 10-10 truck, meaning that at 10 feet and at 10 mph, it looks perfect. It is a daily driver. Getting the perfect paint job won't matter much after the first stone ding.

If you don't like what you have, grind it out and do it again. Practice makes perfect. I redid many areas of my truck for exactly that reason. Body filler is cheap. Self recriminations for years over every flaw is way too expensive.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:45 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
As its been said, it all depends on what you want out of the truck. Do you want something that you are afraid to drive because it might get a rock chip, dusty, water spots? Do you want something that makes people draws drop open and their eyes bulge out? Life is all about choices.

I'm fixing to start the long, slow, tedious process of trying to purty up my frankenstein truck as well. I'm shooting for something like Randy suggested, a 10-10. Of course if it doesn't quite look perfect at 10 feet I can always mask it in a huge cloud of tire smoke....LOL

Bobby

Old 07-24-2007, 06:01 PM
FLUSHED UP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went threw the same thing putting on the bondo and sanding it off. So now I do the best I can and don't worry about the small stuff. A lot of guys have the work done and sure it looks good {maybe},but I'd rather do the job myself. At least then I'd feel good knowing I did it and and not having somebody else do it for me. It's all a learning process

Old 07-24-2007, 06:14 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Have you had thoughts of buying a feather duster?
How about one of those "Hands Off" signs?
Did you order your "Cry Baby" doll?
Will the color match something in a "Lands End" catalog?

If you answered yes to any of the above, keep sanding.

If you want to have a fun, enjoyable Truck do the best you can and drive the heck out of it.

NOTE: To anyone who has any of the above and is offended by my comments, Oh Well, You'll get over it someday.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:16 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
WOOOHOOOO!!

You're the man Dick!!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 06:24 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
I like your idea of a 10-10 truck. This is my first attempt at rebuilding a vehicle and my wife is always telling me that I'm being to hard on myself and that it will look just fine and that I'm to much of a perfectionist. But every time I see one of those trailer queens in those magazines I go out and start nitpicking my work and forget the skill level that I possess. When I do finally get the body completed I'll have all the mechanical to drive me nuts, so I have a bright future ahead of me. who ha!

John

Old 07-24-2007, 06:31 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Have you had thoughts of buying a feather duster?
How about one of those "Hands Off" signs?
Did you order your "Cry Baby" doll?
Will the color match something in a "Lands End" catalog?

If you answered yes to any of the above, keep sanding.

If you want to have a fun, enjoyable Truck do the best you can and drive the heck out of it.

NOTE: To anyone who has any of the above and is offended by my comments, Oh Well, You'll get over it someday.
Where does one find one of them there cry baby dolls.

and yes I'll get over it

John

Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 PM
delrisinger
Freshman User
A couple of years ago I brought my 59 panel into work with me so I could tinker around with at lunch and after work( I work at the Arkansas School for the Blind) At that time the old truck was a plethora of colors, but mostly old Windsor blue. I kept it behind the maintenance shop beside a basketball court that the kids with some degree of sight used from time to time. When i went to grind off an old luggage rack up on top, I found Coke cans and wadded up pieces of paper all over the top of my truck. I thought the kids were being disrespectful, so I asked one of the boys why they were doing that, and he said " You mean that dumpster out behind the shop?"

I painted her khaki the next week.

I guess the point of the story is that I have achieved my goal.

My panel truck is seldom mistaken for a Dumpster anymore.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by delrisinger
A couple of years ago I brought my 59 panel into work with me so I could tinker around with at lunch and after work( I work at the Arkansas School for the Blind) At that time the old truck was a plethora of colors, but mostly old Windsor blue. I kept it behind the maintenance shop beside a basketball court that the kids with some degree of sight used from time to time. When i went to grind off an old luggage rack up on top, I found Coke cans and wadded up pieces of paper all over the top of my truck. I thought the kids were being disrespectful, so I asked one of the boys why they were doing that, and he said " You mean that dumpster out behind the shop?"

I painted her khaki the next week.

I guess the point of the story is that I have achieved my goal.

My panel truck is seldom mistaken for a Dumpster anymore.
Now that's Classic.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
mine will be flawless, eschewed in perfection. Wikipedia will have the word "beautiful", and my truck will be pictured next to it. I anticipate it being a primo trailer queen, equipped with shiny new chrome, but no motor or tranny which would only get in the way of seeing the details of the firewall and topside of the frame. I will transport it to every show possible to attain as many awards as I can. Chip Foose will be proud of me.

Or maybe I'll just slap these rusty old parts together and drive it for awhile.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by havi; 07-24-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I would start with getting it one color primer. After you have it epoxy primed a single color see what it looks like. A high build primer can cover up a lot of imperfections. I used a black primer to make the imperfections show up. Also if your have not done anybody work, buy a video on basic bodywork and watch it. Buy a few books and read them, you can pick up a lot of tips to make life easier. Then make sure you pick a paint that does not show defects such as a gloss red or black.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:07 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a butt-head when it comes to fit, finish and detail. That's what I need in MY truck to make me happy, your truck needs to be perfect enough only for you, no ones else's opinion matters. If all our trucks were the same even I would be bored. Go for it, do what you like

Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Originally Posted by FLUSHED UP
I went threw the same thing putting on the bondo and sanding it off. So now I do the best I can and don't worry about the small stuff. A lot of guys have the work done and sure it looks good {maybe},but I'd rather do the job myself. At least then I'd feel good knowing I did it and and not having somebody else do it for me. It's all a learning process

I cant stand people that pay to have a truck done and than claim they built it. I mean just because they put on the air cleaner! This truck is me and i will like it the way i want. Dont care if someone else does not like it. Its not theres! Build it and drive it! That is where i stand! RT

Quick Reply: How perfect does it have to be