2006 f250 superduty. i want ipod& sirius, what are my options.. PIE or new head?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
rickauf
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 f250 superduty. i want ipod& sirius, what are my options.. PIE or new head?

Hi all,

i just purchased a 2006 f250 superduty. it has the doubledin in dash 6disc cd with am/fm, etc. the standard stock radio in these trucks.

I want an ipod input and to hook up sirius.
i want to avoid the fm transmitter stuff.

already went tot the ford dealer to see if a 2007 sirius radio from ford could be purchased and put in. they say no.
upon reading these boards, it appears as if there is an option of the PIE adaptor. i went to their website, looks pretty nice, i plug in the back, plug my sirius into the rca's, etc.

however, there is a never ending list of stuff i would need to install sirius and ipod.
it would appear i would need the:
1. PIE adaptor
2.a switch unit to switch between sirus and the ipod
3. a power booster? for the ipod line to the switch (what's that all about) that goes to the PIE. the sirius would be the main source.. (do i needa bosster for that as well)

if this all works well, no problem, i would like to stick with factory, but seems like a lot of junk to wire and stick behind the dash.

option II: can i go down to bestbuy. crutchfield, etc and get an aftermarket unit that fits into the double din opening that has a sat reciever built in and an ipos aux in jack? does a nyone know of a reciever that does this and fits well (and looks good) in the ford truck?

(my cheapo jeep wrangler came from the factory with a am/fm/sirius/ipodaux input radio.. i cannot be that big of deal)

any input, suggestions, leads, etc are greatly apprecited!

rick

excuse my spelling

Old 07-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get a PIE adapter to add RCA plugs to your factory stereo. Then all you would really need is a RCA to headphone jack (3.5mm jack) cord and you could switch that back and forth manually between the ipod and satellite reciever headphone jack.

As far as aftermarket ones go there are quite a few that can do this. I know Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood make a couple. If you are also interested in a DVD player and Navigation there are a lot more of those available. I have a Kenwood DVD player and love it (pics in my galery).

Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 PM
78F150XLT
Senior User
if i were you i'd get the alpine or pioneer indash dvd head units that slides down and takes up the whole spot where ur factory deck goes, but i'm not sure if they are serius ready. i know the flip out ones are serius/xm/ipod ready. anotehr thing u can do is just go buy a plain deck by pioneer or alpine (the 2 best brands of decks) and you can buy a nice one that is serius/xm/ipod/mp3/wma ready. i bought one and i have serius and my ipod plugged into the back and they sounds crystal clear.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 PM
rickauf
Freshman User
does the volume and tuner controls on the steering wheel work with the aftermarket radios?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 PM
78F150XLT
Senior User
yes they do... the one wire i know on pioneers is orage with a white strip labled ILL, its labled the same on alpines, that connects to the same wire that controls when ur key is off before you open the door after the truck is running and the radio keeps going, thats the wire that controls that. i believe its teh same wire as the steering wheel. id have to ask but i'm sure it still will work

Old 07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
You have to get a PAC steering wheel interface kit. Which model you get depends on what aftermarket radio you get. Here is a link to PACs site.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface

They work pretty well, but aren't quite as good as the factory radio. You have to hold down the button a little longer than with the factory radio, but if you hold it too long it ends up sending th esignal a bunch of times. It is annoying at first but you get used to it. This is how it works with my Kenwood stereo, I am not 100% sure this happens to all of them.

I know you can play and control the ipod through your factory stereo using the Brandmotion adapter, and I know it works with the factory satellite stuff. And I think that you could add the factory satellite system, but I am not 100% sure. Someone else here probably would know so hang tight for a little while if you are more interested in doing that. Here is a link to the Brandmotion ipod adapter.

http://www.brandmotion.com/products/...d-adapter.html

Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 PM
rickauf
Freshman User
Thanks all,

so heres the deal... My factory radio is not sat radio. i will likely go with a double din that is sirius ready and has an aux input, or one of those that you can add the ipod interface.

I see a lot of mention of pioneers and alpines. can someone give me some models to look up?

whay looks nice in the superduty?

I don't mind spending a grand or more, but i really don't need nav, or dvd, etc. i just want a good radio that looks like it belongs in a 50k truck that i can somewhat control from the steering wheel.

I just don't want a bunch of boxes, and junk hanging off my dash. i still cannot figure out why a sat ready 2006 or 2007 ford radio won't just plug in.

anyway, plz give me some models you guys use and perhaps where you purchased them and all the peripheral stuff i will likely need.

thanks again.

rick

Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Does your factory radio have the AUX button on it? If it does I think this will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...spagenameZWDVW

I think the person you were talking to at the dealership just didn't know what they were talking about.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Ducster1
Senior User
If you can spend $1000-1200 on a new double din, this deck will be the best bang for the buck. It's the Pioneer AVIC-D3. Fits on the dash like the factory stereo,dvd,nav,6.1 screen, touchscreen,plays mp3,built in EQ, AAC and WMA,/bluetooth capable,Sirius and/or XM need to buy tuner, and the best part optional IPOD. The IPOD is connected by cable and the ACTUAL IPOD controller is on the screen. You control the IPOD on the 6.1" touchscreen.

It also has AV input built in. I have a front and rear cameras installed on my truck. Great value for all the gadgets it has.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
rickauf
Freshman User
Ducster1,

what radio are you referring to? sounds perfect!

name?
place to purchase, etc?
can i get a steering wheel controller setup for it?
thanks!

thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 PM
rickauf
Freshman User
never mind, i see the name.. thanks

but does it work with the wheel controls??

Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
You will have to buy a PAC steering wheel adapter to get it to work with the steering wheel controls. The PAC SWI-PS is compatible with the AVIC-D3 according to PACs website.

If you really aren't interested in DVD or navigation you can save a lot of money by getting a regular double din CD player that can control and ipod and satellite radio. Here are a few.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/L...k3=173&pr=2715

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=148&page=2

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294764460.html

Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Ducster1
Senior User
You can purchase at Circuit City
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pioneer-In-Dash-Navigation-DVD-Player-AVIC-D3/sem/rpsm/oid/172949/catOid/-14501/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vNs7EhF6ucA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182350&tab=morephotos&pi=3&i=130AVI CD3&display=L#Tab

All touch screen BUTTONS. Easy and Big to read. YOU love the IPOD Controller

Don't have the steering wheel controller. I feel i have better volume control with the ****.

Last edited by Ducster1; 07-19-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 PM
78F150XLT
Senior User
ok heres the scoop. i went and looked at alpine decks that are serius satalite ready, only ones i can find are dvd ones:
IVA-D310 for $1400 (flip out with nav.)
IVA-W205 for $2000 (non flip double din with nav.)
IVA-W105 for $1000 (flip with our nav.)
pioneers decks are a bit more cheaper.
No DVD:
Premier DEH-P390MP for $192 (ipod/Sat ready)
Premier DEH-P490IB for $237 (ipod/Sat/Bluetooth)
[MY DECK] Premier DEH-P690UB for $349 (ipod/sat/bluetooth/usb)
DVD:
Pioneer AVH-P4900DVD for $747 (ipod/Sat)
Pioneer AVIC-N3 for $1787 (ipod/sat/bluetooth/nav.)

NOTE: all the pioneer/premier products are in canadian prices, the alpines are in american

Old 07-25-2007, 06:04 PM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
I have the pioneer AVIC-D3 and it fits and works great.

I have the ipod adapter, steering wheel control adapter( PAC SWI-PS ), and backup cameras on the truck and trailer.

Lots of good info on : http://www.avic411.com/forum/

Quick Reply: 2006 f250 superduty. i want ipod& sirius, what are my options.. PIE or new head?