Sponsored by:

Muffler Delete Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:33 PM
02X72
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler Delete Question

Alright, I can't find a shop around to do this for any kind of reasonable price so I'm gonna do it myself. Now, I don't know exactly what I will need do do it. From what I can see, a straight piece of 3.5" pipe will not work as the stock pipes would not line up. I have seen pics of it done with what looks like a flexible exhaust pipe? Any advice or links to things that can lead me in the right direction would be great. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 PM
scpowered
New User
I just had mine done this past week. Cost me a total of 135. The shop had to order a 30 inch whoopty do and another 6 inch straight section. Took him about and hour to do. A whoopty do is an "s" or "z".

Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
on an excursion ????
Which year and motor....

To each his own....
but have you heard one without a muffler?
I tried it on my 03 and NO WAY would I do that again - way too much drone

I did the Walker BTM muffler for about $60 @ Napa and have a good sound with good flow... and no drone

Good luck !

Old 03-22-2009, 06:23 PM
02X72
Senior User
It's an '02 with a 7.3. I'll look into that muffler though. I'm soing this untill I can put a 4" all the way back.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM
scpowered
New User
Mine's an 03 7.3. Sounds pretty good to me, and unique for around here.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Excursion4X4
Posting Guru

I did the delete. Cut the muffler myself, then a shop put the piece in for $70. Alot of drone.......May have to get a muffler till the 4" exhaust is on the way....

Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What are the real world consequences if a law officer hears all the noise you are making, stops you, and 1) figures out what YOU have done to your vehicle, and 2) knows what HIS responsibility is to his state's vehicle code, and its relationship to federal law? Discuss, please ?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
blowhole
Senior User
How about that police officer having better things to do then worry about the drone from a muffler-less Ex? And if you are driving in such a manner that deserves the attention of a police officer - then so be it.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If a police officer is on traffic duty then he has NOTHING better to do than to enforce traffic laws and vehicle code laws. That's his job. Don't worry there are more police officers in the force that take care of the robbery, rape, murder and other acts of crime.

Noise is a big thing where I live. From fart piped compacts to diesels without muffled stacks, they all get pulled over if too loud or even if they hint at being too loud. (Probable cause) It doesn't take much for these guys to know who has modified exhaust and who doesn't. It's probable cause for them to stop you. Might just inconvenience you as they may not write a ticket. I don't think they carry sound meters around with them. But they could order you to get it tested and bring the results to the judge.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by 6686L
What are the real world consequences if a law officer hears all the noise you are making, stops you, and 1) figures out what YOU have done to your vehicle, and 2) knows what HIS responsibility is to his state's vehicle code, and its relationship to federal law? Discuss, please ?
Many states consider turbocharger a 'muffler'. My straight-piped F350 is only significantly louder when I'm getting on it. At idle and low rpm's there is ALOT more turbo whistle, but negligable increase in Db's. Now at WOT and 25+ lbs of boost its a different story - but only outside...

The trucks appear much more tolerant of the 'drone' the the X's. I just had a friend in my F350 last nite who did not believe my truck had no muffler!

If you are such a ***** that an officer WANTS to give you a ticket for loud exhaust - SHAME ON YOU!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
. . . . .Many states consider turbocharger a 'muffler'. . . . . . If you are such a ***** that an officer WANTS to give you a ticket for loud exhaust - SHAME ON YOU!!!
= = = = =

1) I am not overwhelmed with confidence that govt employees in general, and motor vehicle dept. officials in particular, have ANY brains or technical competence. But you say "many states consider a turbocharger a muffler" ? I HOPE you are wrong. I HOPE the stupidity of govt. employees hasn't gone THAT far. Can you cite me which state's vehicle code claims a "muffler" is a "turbo-charger"..?

2) A good old saying about freedom is "your nose ends where mine begins". That is why many states, possiblly most, if not all state's vehicle codes provide for limits on how much noise you can make.

There is a mistaken belief amongst some amatuer non-technical trained "backyard" mechanics that NO back-pressure is somehow a good thing. This was not true in the old days - plenty of articles in the SAE tech. journal about the necessity of SOME back-pressure for max. effiency.

These days there is a new factor as to why monkeying with today's vehicle's exhaust system may be a bad idea, as well as a violation of federal law - computer-controlled anti-pollution devices. Both state and fed. codes prohibit interferring with anti pollution devices.

I have no idea what effect, if any, "gutting" the exhaust system would have on the modern computer-controlled vehicle. Dont want to find out.

I agree we dont want too much interference in what we can do to our own private vehicles. But again - remember where your freedom ends. At my ears and eyes and nose !

The reason I suggested some of you fellows do some research on this issue, is the same as what i suggested about much more powerful headlights. Same problem. Extra noise may prevent you or others from hearing safety issues. Overly bright headlights may blind and thus cause an insafe condition for other cars.

In either case, in some states, you "pull" that stuff when a law enforcement official is around, he may have the power under that state's vehicle code to impound your vehicle right then and there, call for a tow, and then you are faced with being at the mercy of local businessmen, when you are told it can not be released to you to go back on public roadways until it meets legal standards.

It's the old story about common sense and GOOD MANNERS being the best approach.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
rebelyell618
Elder User
= = = = =

1) I am not overwhelmed with confidence that govt employees in general, and motor vehicle dept. officials in particular, have ANY brains or technical competence. But you say "many states consider a turbocharger a muffler" ? I HOPE you are wrong. I HOPE the stupidity of govt. employees hasn't gone THAT far. Can you cite me which state's vehicle code claims a "muffler" is a "turbo-charger"..?

2) A good old saying about freedom is "your nose ends where mine begins". That is why many states, possiblly most, if not all state's vehicle codes provide for limits on how much noise you can make.

There is a mistaken belief amongst some amatuer non-technical trained "backyard" mechanics that NO back-pressure is somehow a good thing. This was not true in the old days - plenty of articles in the SAE tech. journal about the necessity of SOME back-pressure for max. effiency.

These days there is a new factor as to why monkeying with today's vehicle's exhaust system may be a bad idea, as well as a violation of federal law - computer-controlled anti-pollution devices. Both state and fed. codes prohibit interferring with anti pollution devices.

I have no idea what effect, if any, "gutting" the exhaust system would have on the modern computer-controlled vehicle. Dont want to find out.

I agree we dont want too much interference in what we can do to our own private vehicles. But again - remember where your freedom ends. At my ears and eyes and nose !

The reason I suggested some of you fellows do some research on this issue, is the same as what i suggested about much more powerful headlights. Same problem. Extra noise may prevent you or others from hearing safety issues. Overly bright headlights may blind and thus cause an insafe condition for other cars.

In either case, in some states, you "pull" that stuff when a law enforcement official is around, he may have the power under that state's vehicle code to impound your vehicle right then and there, call for a tow, and then you are faced with being at the mercy of local businessmen, when you are told it can not be released to you to go back on public roadways until it meets legal standards.

It's the old story about common sense and GOOD MANNERS being the best approach.
well this is from the Texas emission laws. now it has two ways to look at it from what i see all over the forums i visit. it either means the turbo is a muffler or the turbo/engine has to feed a muffler.

personally i drive a gasser and my work truck is a cummins with a bully dog exhaust so i never went searching for answers to find out the true meaning, but this is the law.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection/Rejection Criteria

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Turbo charged vehicles don't want ANY "backpressure". NA motors need some for exhaust scavenging.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
FarmingFord
Senior User
= = = = =

Extra noise may prevent you or others from hearing safety issues.
So what about all of the tractor trailers with 7 or 8 inch stacks? Are they too loud too?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by FarmingFord
So what about all of the tractor trailers with 7 or 8 inch stacks? Are they too loud too?
yes - that is why many communities have signs that say NO JAKE BRAKE.

Most heavy trucks have their exhaust facing vertically, so the most irritating sound waves head skyward.

Bottom line - as I suggested - a little common sense and courtesy makes life easier for everyone.

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete Question