Bronco II Ford Bronco II

favorite code reader?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 PM
azjay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
favorite code reader?

'86 B2, i'm looking for a code reader for EEC-IV, does any body have a preference or negative opinion for readers available? i would like something in a professional quality, not real interested in a lightbulb model. a recommended make/model# and source for a good reader would be greatly appreciated too.
thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 06:30 PM
fl1a
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might try looking on ebay motors, there are usually a number of new and used
units listed. I found a Autoxray EZ3000 for $28.00, that does quite well. I got the
instruction manual download from Autoxray, and printed a copy. If you get a used
unit, check the manufacturers website for the support materials you might need.
Get one with a cable long enough to use it in the drivers seat, connected to the
diagnostic port.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an Auto Xray EZ-2000, cost $189 new at Northern Tools. Handles just about everything and for the older EEC stuff, buying a more expensive scanner with more features is fairly useless since the vehicle's CPU isn't going to support it anyways. I have used it on my older Ford and Chevy and even 2006 models.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the cheapie Equus / Actron, I forget the model #, but it's the one that has the LCD and not the 'idiot light' and it works pretty well. If you absolutely have to, you can make an extension cable for it so you can run it into the cab of the truck. I eventually need to get one that will work with any vehicle, though, so other inputs would help me as well.