Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Evo II question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:12 PM
tholt34
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo II question

i just bought a edge evo II from a fellow fte'er. I love it, i like the power and i like having the read outs it gives. i wanna eventually get the dp tunes on it but right now i am happy with the edge tunes. I guess what i am trying to find out is if i may have a boost leak or not. My evo tells me that running down the road at 60 it bounces between 2 to 3 psi maybe. on the stock tune at WOT the highest i got was 14 psi. in the 80 race tune the highest i have seen is 19 psi. I know this thing reads off the map sensor but i am curious as to what you other guys trucks are reading that have the evo II. Just trying to determine if i have a boost leak somewhere or if my wastegate is having problems or if i may have a map sensor going bad causing the readings to be off. any info would be greatly appreciated. and as for mods u can see what i have in my sig. thanks.

Tim

P.S. i just remembered to add, that i had the old evolution b4 i got the evo II and even in the 100 hp extreme setting i have never had my truck throw a check engine light for over boosting or defuel.

Last edited by tholt34; 07-11-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
BD Power Boost Builder

Sounds like you need a boost fooler kit....

we offer a kit that bleeds off the boost so your wastegate does not open at 18-20PSI, included in the kit is a sesor wire to tee onto the map sensor and prevents the check engine light from coming on with the extra boost.

PM me for more details if you like

Old 07-11-2007, 03:38 PM
tholt34
Senior User
Someone got any ideas or any info they could help me with. i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by tholt34
Someone got any ideas or any info they could help me with. i would greatly appreciate it.

Under 5 PSI is not abnormal for cruising speed with light throttle, but I think it could be your wastegate opening on you. Hopefully someone can chime in and agree or disagree with me.

I hope I do not sound like I am just trying to push my products on you because I am listed as a manufacturer, just wanna help as much as I can. The BD boost fooler kit is very simple and inexpensive, we include it with every Evolution Tuner we sell, in fact if you are willing to pay shipping I will send you one no charge just to help out.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
tholt34
Senior User
oh i completely understand. i will prolly buy me a boost fooler kit eventually. i guess i my only concern right now is even with hotter tunes i have yet to throw a check engine light or code for over boosting. that is why i am wondering if i may have a boost leak or wastegate problem possibly. I have been all through my clamps on my boots and all are tight and my up pipes are clean as well. i see no leaking with them. so i am leaning towards my waste gate but just not sure. what is the best way to check this?

Old 07-11-2007, 04:15 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
You will not see a high boost code because the wastegate opens before you get to the point that is sets the code. With the boost fooler kit it will prevent the wastegate from opening and allow you to build the extra boost. This will surely set the high boost code that's why we included the map sensor wire with the kit, it prevent the check engine light from coming on when we are holding the wastegate closed longer. To be sure... you can install the boost fooler bleed tube, see if you get more boost, if so, it should trigger the boost code. From there you can clear the code with your Evo and install the boost fooler wire on the map sensor and be done with it.

let me know, no charge for the part, just the feedback if it works!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM
tholt34
Senior User
dave, i sent you a pm about the boost fooler.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM
MR5x5
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tholt,

I'm running the EvoII and see cruise boost numbers in line with yours. I see WOT boost #s in the low 20s on the middle tune, but that could be a WG adjustment difference. For kicks you could disconnect the vacuum tube to the waste gate and see what you get with a disabled WG. Also, the Evo will record in the max boost it sees in internal memory. It's also not hard to build an intake pressure testing rig. All it takes is some plumbing fittings and an air compressor. There are a number of threads in this froum with details.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:25 PM
tholt34
Senior User
thanks for the info, i unplugged my waste gate tube and i have seen 22 psi on it now. will the evo II even allow it to show any higher boost since it reads off the map sensor? just curious.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:29 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your fine, those readings are right where you should be...

Check out the boost regulator that ITP diesel sells, reads correctly up to the overboost setting then does not let the map sensor see over 22#'s...

Old 07-12-2007, 01:36 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Okay now A I am interested in getting to the bottom of this, if anyone wants to try out the BD Boost Fooler kit and see if these work with the Evo II I will send the kit out no charge in exchange for feedback. you will have to pay minimal shipping charges as the product is a very small package, could probably even send it post mail.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM
STAGED
Freshman User
What exactly is this boost fooler?Is it just basically like plugging the red wastegate line? I looked at your site but couldnt find anything. I have an evo 2 on my 02 f250 and only see about 19 psi on the 80 tune

Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
tholt34
Senior User
STaged: that is what i am seeing on mine also. In the 100 horsepower tune i see up to 22 psi but i also have my wastegate unplugged right now.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Seems like this is very consistent, I apologies that I do not have lots of experience with the new Evo II. tholt34 and I are working to see if our BD bleed tube/boost fooler kits works to build more boost, I have sent him one no charge to try and report back to us.

If you have your wastegate unplugged and are still only getting 22PSI perhaps the Evo will not let it get higher than that through the ECM???

I got a call into Edge right now too

Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
tholt34
Senior User
dave, driving home tonight i had my waste gate unplugged had it in drive with the t/c locked and floored it, the boost shot to 22 psi and then went to 0 and it through a check engine light. So now i'm curious to see if your boost fooler will trick the map sensor and let it show more then 22 pounds of boost.

now for my own problem wondering if something was wrong with my truck, it looks like my wastegate was opening to soon like it might of needed to be adjusted.

i am really curious now to see what BD's boost fooler does and how it works. dave you were real helpful on the phone today. thanks.

Tim

Quick Reply: Evo II question