1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Share your Temp Gauge readings to help calibrate to Deg F numbers.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
dionysius
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I believe that if I am given the data I request that I can correct it some to account for obvious known deltas e.g. the temp reading at the Radiator is typically circa 10 deg less than at the thermostat housing.

If I have a large amount of data I will mine it for trends and see if some patterns emerge. It may indeed come to naught but I do not know that. No one of you out there know it either!!!

Please have some faith. We could all say that a Doctor taking a person's temperature, blood pressure, and pulse rate is a futile task because everyone is so different. We are all on different diets, live in differing ambient conditions, different genetics, some work outdoors at physical labor, yada yada. But the fact is that body temp, BP, and pulse rate are reliable data points and as such are collected as a part of every normal med visit.

What I am asking for is the vital signs for your vehicle's engine. I may have to come back later and ask you to take an Ohms measurement at the sender at the stated temp but I am holding off on this right now because not everybody is equipped to do so.

Please keep them number a comin'.......

Old 07-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
180 degrees between the N and O on my 79 2wd 400/c6. 185 degree between the O and R on my 79 4wd 400/C6, 185 degrees between the A and L on my 74 F350 460/C6, 195 degrees on the M on my 76 F250 4x4 360 (this truck runs a PTO winch and has an extra radiator to compensate)

Old 07-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FordGuy1280
true, those would all effect the temp that the truck is running but that is not what is being looked for here. all that is being looked for is the corralation between the temp that the truck is running to the leter in the guage. so if a truck is running at 160 is at the n and a truck that is running at 210 is at l and one that is running at 190 is at the m become the norm, then someone can look at their guage without having a mech guage, and assuming that they are around the norm for variables then they can know that at m they are running around 190 and if the guage reads on the right side of the l then they are getting a little hot. just my take on the survey, to give people a basis to go on. I know that I have wandered it and if my guage worked I would throw in some #'s.
That's your opinion ...however mine is

Of course all those things would be reflected in the gauging system.

The sending unit and everything connected to it to.... register on the guage is affected by those variables I mentioned.

Don't believe me.

Drive your truck in the heat of summer in death valley then in the winter drive in the coldest day in Winnipeg, Manitoba without changing anything on the truck.

The variables set the gauging parameters for the gauging system.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:19 PM
FordGuy1280
Senior User
Wink

I completly agree with you that all of it effects the reading, ie a bad connection would red a higher temp than a good connection and all sorts of other things, but what I meant is that he is getting a range of the different temps, then getting a median out of that range to give people a basis to start from. What Eric was saying is the best thing to do for you own vehicle. this servey is to act more as a guide-line for curiosity than a S.O.P. (In other words I am not argueing with you, just trying to clarify the issue. I agree with everything that you are saying, that is why my truck has a seperate guage in it, the other one is a POS.)

Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
If he can get enough samples, he'll show a median... kind of like the MPG arguement that I had in another thread... If you actually sit down and look at the numbers, rather than bark at the poster because you are always right, no matter what, you'll see that all of them follow a trend.

I'll keep a close eye on this thread, its a good topic, if you aren't going to post useful information, just read.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Mil1ion

Drive your truck in the heat of summer in death valley then in the winter drive in the coldest day in Winnipeg, Manitoba without changing anything on the truck.
That isn't entirely true. A cooling system that is operating properly will always run at it's presribed temperature. My 2005 Superduty always runs 195, -15 degrees outside or +110, doesn't matter.

All HE is asking for is a set of parameters for the guage. If, for example,190 degrees, on average, always falls between the "R" and "M" on a the 73-79 guage then whats the problem?

Perhaps maybe you're just miffed because you did not think of this yourself? Feel the need to bully posters around for no apparent reason? Get a life, seriously.

Josh

Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wick246
Eric, how would I setup a thermocouple sensor on the thermostat housing? I have a Fluke meter that has a temperature function but I don't know what else is needed to use it. Do you just measure the temperature of the housing metal?
You would need a thermostat housing with two threaded ports and the appropriate pipe fittings to seal the thermocouple probe. Taking a temperature reading outside the housing will not work well unless the entire housing and area is well insulated. The fan blows a lot of air thru that area which makes readings difficult.

Originally Posted by Bullitt390
That isn't entirely true. A cooling system that is operating properly will always run at it's presribed temperature. My 2005 Superduty always runs 195, -15 degrees outside or +110, doesn't matter.
Maybe on a new truck but not on older vehicles with degraded cooling systems. Ambient temperature can make a big difference then.

-Again, there is absolutely no way to correlate the OEM temperature gage readings between a number of these old trucks. -So sorry but the effort is futile. If all the trucks were NEW then you could get some correlation but even then not much. Maybe a given point would be +/-20°F.

Last edited by Torque1st; 07-03-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 PM
dionysius
Senior User
It is very clear to me that a few folks have never thought much of the nature of data of of physical measurements. If I say the average height of an adult male in North America is 5 ft and nine inches -(Note: The number is being used to make a point, it is not the true value) - what does that mean????

There may be not even one such person in the entire nation who is exactly 5' 9". Hiowever it is useful for a Designer of habitable equipment or clothing to reference such a statistic.

I felt I gave a very powerful example above re the use of Body Temp, BP, etc. Obviously it did not do the trick. Next time those of little faith go to their Physician I suggest they explain that taking such measurements is a total waste of time and that they discontinue the practice. At least then they would be consistent and not pick on just a new guy on the forum who would like to see more organized information to help everybody.

The reason to have a calibrated guage is the same reason we all chose to speak a common language - so we can relate to the world around us. I am not a radical alien just come to your midst to make your life hell. I have an F350 and I find it almost incredible that Ford were not held to the flames years ago for not having decent measuring gauges. The Temp gauge and the fuel gauge and the oil pressure gauge all share the same galvanometer head design. Do you also not question those other gauges and their senders?? It is clear that idiot lights would be preferential to gauges for those who fear finding out some truth.

Now please keep those numbers a comin'.......

Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
That right there is hilarious...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Boy are you guys colorful and have a chip on your shoulders

If those posts were directed at me then you aren't understanding what I'm trying to tell you.

The Ford gauging system is NOT a science in the terms you speak of.

It appears that the thinking is every single truck out there operates somewhat the same way and has exactly the same conditions regarding equip.

Ford set the gauging system up to cover a whole spectrum of temperatures.

One example of variables:
How may people have had the Pinned Fuel & Temp gauge while driving ?

The gauging systems in these trucks are constantly prone for mistakes or irregularities.

The operation of the ICVR alone can throw this whole theory out the window.

Here's my numbers :

1978 F150 429 2v C6 2.75 rear
Timed perfectly
7 blade fan with shroud
Coolant ration 60-40 Prestone
Original rad for a 400
Summer time, ambient temp 75*
altitude 3400' ABL
Loaded weight 4900lbs
60 MPH/100 Kph

needle on gauge reads between N & O

Last edited by Mil1ion; 07-03-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Perhaps maybe you're just miffed because you did not think of this yourself? Feel the need to bully posters around for no apparent reason? Get a life, seriously.

Josh
That's the problem with what you say....I AM and ALWAYS have been thinking of all the things that CAN and will affect the reading on the guage

YOU aren't.

It has nothing to do with Bullying

It's called Discussion ...leave your thin skin at the door

Last edited by Mil1ion; 07-04-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Josh
Not if the windchill is - 60*C it won't

Yes it does matter.... The coolant is cooled through the radiator ONLY.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:07 AM
dionysius
Senior User
Quote: "The Ford gauging system is NOT a science in the terms you speak of".

Comment: I submit to you that it is a science but one that was not well implemented and then sent to the field where it was poorly maintained. I do not own a new Ford (mine is a '79) but Detroit better have it as a very serious science by now or that Tundra I am seeing out there might kick butt!!!!

I can tolerate an idiot light because it is a coarse alarm annunciator. I cannot tolerate a gauge that lies to me. If you can then you are being too non-scientific my friend.

With abundant data I will be able to spot trends, hopefully, and suggest a fix.

ALERT - ALL PLEASE READ...........

I have just opened up my Temp gauge and I see two adjustable levers. If you look at the back of the can the teeth are exposed and so are meant to be adjusted.

This implies that there is a zero and a gain adjustment on these gauges so everybody can restore their readings to a proper calibration.

Has anybody out there ever seen a cal procedure? I looked in the Detroit Iron CD (Workshop manual) and there is diddely squat about these adjustments in it.

Any Ford Factory guys out there with better info??

Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Mil1ion
New User
One simple thing like If extra teflon tape is wrapped on the threads to prevent a great and needed ground..your theory is dead.

My reasoning and explanation shows up regularily in Gas Gauge threads.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:30 AM
dionysius
Senior User
I have replaced about six in my life and never used teflon tape. It was not necessary. If anyone does use tape and does not explicitly check for the presence of a robust ground he or she needs to be counselled.....

After installing a sender one should always check for the presence of a good ground by seing a healthy current flow unimpeded across that interface.

Why would one install a precise measuring device and **** away their investment by leaving a bad ground play havoc with the measurement?

Or so it would appear to me.........

Quick Reply: Share your Temp Gauge readings to help calibrate to Deg F numbers.....