Best 460

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:00 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best 460

just wondering if i wanted to swap to a 460 to build is there a certain year or casting date i should look for, for strength. will be running a mud truck, can you get a decent crate short/ long block from somewhere. what is the best to look for. sorry dont know anything about the 385 series i am an FE guy looking to switch to the dark side. thanks

Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if you have allot of cash laying around I am not sure that you can get any better than a roush crate engine like the 427 or the 588 big blocks and the other ones, like the 302 and other small blocks that would be probably the best.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
all the factory 385 series blocks will hold a LOT of hp so the block casting isn't really much of a consideration unless your wanting to run a stroker then I would suggest looking for a block with a D9TE casting (used from 79 on to the end of production for the 460) the reason is the D9TE blocks have a slightly (3/16" approx) longer cylinder wall so it supports the piston better at BDC on a long stroke engine, other than that really it doesn't make much of a difference, yes there is some with 4 bolt mains but your gonna pay big money to get those and really not worth it unless your planning on running more than 900hp and/or a supercharger etc.
Heads are a slightly different issue, and that depends on if you are willing to go aftermarket, or the class you want to race in will allow for it. Next if you have to run pump gas or want to run a race gas only engine etc. Basically need more info on your plans to get more specific than that with the exception of telling you to stay away from any heads cast D2VE, only used in 72 on passenger car engines. If you happen to see a engine with D2OE (notice the V and O third letter difference) grab it, those are PI heads and rank real close to the CJ/SCJ heads and worth a good bit and work great for performance engines but your probably gonna pay big time for them.