V10 Questions??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:29 AM
F250XL
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10 Questions??????

For a 2007 F350 with the V10...

1) Does Fords warranty bible prohibit the use of E85 with its V10 engine?
2) How much of the fuel system is not teflon-lined or steel?
3) Is the fuel tank made out of high-density polyethylene or steel?
4) If any parts of the fuel system are rubber/plastic; are they made of, or do they have: high-density polyethylene, teflon-lining, or tefzel?

v/r,
Phil

Old 06-23-2007, 03:44 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by F250XL

1) Does Fords warranty bible prohibit the use of E85 with its V10 engine?

v/r,
Phil
If it doesn't...It should.

The '07 V10 is not properly equipped to run E85...and by that I mean the PCM. It is one thing to have the fuel system properly setup for the more corrosive fuel, but it is another to have the engine burn it properly...IMO.

biz

Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Although I responded to your same question in the SD forum I thought I'd cut-n-paste my response here just in case you look here instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I cannot answer your other questions (about part's chemical makeup) with any real certainty. I will say that if the parts for e85 compatibility are more expensive then they are not on the truck.

I will also say that if a guy buys a V10 F350, then he probably needs the power & ability to tow and haul.

Using E85 will lower the specific power output, won't it? What's the point then?

If you want better mileage or a lower cost per mile you'd be better off getting a vehicle that is already equipped to handle E85 and save the V10 for times when the ability to do a job is more important than the costs to do it. Just my $0.02.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:58 PM
klmcnc
New User
biz4two is correct in the pcm is not setup for it. the air/fuel ration is different for gasoline to e85 or straight ethanol (which the government will not allow because some homeless bum might want to get drunk off the fuel instead of paying the alcohol tax, which the government would rather see him dead than not pay the tax). if you run e85 in a vehicle that is not setup for it you will burn up your engine by running it too lean. when e85 becomes widely available i will convert my vehicles to flex fuel if practical pcm wise, or straight e85 if not. but that involves more that making the fuel system is corrosive resistant. the injectors would need to be bigger also. to make it a flex fuel you would need a sensor to measure the amount of ethanol in the fuel line, then the pcm would vary the air/fuel ration to match. I remember an article about how ford did a flex fuel without inline sensor, but i didn't like that way. can't remember if it was in the tank or adjusting off the 02 sensors. To make a e85 only vechile you would only need to reprogram the pcm. you can make more power than a gas engine by increasing compression or supercharging, but unrecommended in a flex fuel.

Last edited by klmcnc; 06-24-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 06-25-2007, 01:21 AM
F250XL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by klmcnc
biz4two is correct in the pcm is not setup for it. the air/fuel ration is different for gasoline to e85 or straight ethanol (which the government will not allow because some homeless bum might want to get drunk off the fuel instead of paying the alcohol tax, which the government would rather see him dead than not pay the tax). if you run e85 in a vehicle that is not setup for it you will burn up your engine by running it too lean. when e85 becomes widely available i will convert my vehicles to flex fuel if practical pcm wise, or straight e85 if not. but that involves more that making the fuel system is corrosive resistant. the injectors would need to be bigger also. to make it a flex fuel you would need a sensor to measure the amount of ethanol in the fuel line, then the pcm would vary the air/fuel ration to match. I remember an article about how ford did a flex fuel without inline sensor, but i didn't like that way. can't remember if it was in the tank or adjusting off the 02 sensors. To make a e85 only vechile you would only need to reprogram the pcm. you can make more power than a gas engine by increasing compression or supercharging, but unrecommended in a flex fuel.
I think I understand the PCM's purpose is partially to control the fuel system so that the fuel-injectors pulse when they're suppose to, to maximize power with gasoline so that each cylinder is performing equal to oneanother.

What I don't understand is that I'm reading everywhere that a programmer (diablosport, SCT) can connect to the trucks onboard computer and change the parameters to run E85. It does this by telling the injectors to pulse for a longer period of time (1.5X longer), so that the engine runs like it did when there was gasoline in it.

For optimum use I've read that there should only be one fuel programmed for use at a time, but there hasn't been any other article on the internet (that I've found bysides this forum's comments) to say otherwise about the PCM?

Additionally, you gain more horsepower using E85 than you would get with gasoline. There are several threads on this website, which had dyno'd their trucks before/after the changes.

As for "...government will not allow because some homeless bum might want to get drunk off the fuel instead of paying the alcohol tax."

The government does allow it, the Bureau of Alcohol-Tobacco-Firearms will issue you a license to brew your own ethanol on your property for free. It takes about a month to get it in the mail after you send out for it. It can be downloaded from their website, a PDF file, that is two pages long, and is similar to filling out a "change of address" mail card at your local post office. Only there's a small section that asks you how many gallons you intend to produce each year; 10,000 gallons or less, for a small setup. Other than that, you draw a simple sketch in a box that shows where the still is located on your property. The reason for all of this is that you are giving the ATF-guys permission to conduct random inspections, to test your ethanol to make sure it's non-potable, by adding at least 5% denaturants (gasoline).

I know that there are more benefits to using E85 than "hugging a tree," I just don't understand the engines well enough to jump head first into the conversion.

v/r,
Phil

Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 PM
klmcnc
New User
"by adding at least 5% gasoline " which would be e95 not straight ethanol. like i said government won't risk it's income.

I haven't dived into the programming side yet, but i believe the parameter is actually the air/fuel ratio, the length of the injector pulse is computed by using the maf sensor/ throttle position. e85 stoichiometric ratio is more than gasoline, 14.7 for gasoline, i don't remember e85, but it is higher, so the computer figures how much air is entering the engine and determines the injector pulse to match.

only flex fuel pcms have the ability to have multiple fuel and timing charts as a flex fuel vehicle would require, that is why most conversions are one or the other.

Most gasoline designed engines make more power than a converted e85 vehicle. but e85 has a much greater octane rating, so you can run a higher compression without detonation. ford has the v10 tunned for low octane gas, if you ran on super unleaded and advanced the timing it would make more power. the true potential to make more power with an e85 vehicle is raising the static compression ratio, or forced induction to take advantage of the increased octane. My main reason for wanting to run ethanol instead of gasoline is the reduced dependence on foreign oil. with the environmental benefits as an added bonus.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 PM
F250XL
Freshman User
I tell you what. I'll figure it out on my own, forget that I ever asked.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
klmcnc
New User
Originally Posted by F250XL
I tell you what. I'll figure it out on my own, forget that I ever asked.
I am sorry i tried to help

Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well with out my normal rant on the evils of agri based fuel/energy here is the answers to your specific questions;;;

1) Does Fords warranty bible prohibit the use of E85 with its V10 engine? YES

2) How much of the fuel system is not teflon-lined or steel? Most of it is unlined steel except the tank.

3) Is the fuel tank made out of high-density polyethylene or steel? Not steel, plastic, probably polyethylene, but not sure if high density

4) If any parts of the fuel system are rubber/plastic; are they made of, or do they have: high-density polyethylene, teflon-lining, or tefzel? The primary fuel pressure delivery is mostly steel, non lined plumbing. The vapor recovery system has a lot of rubber components

What you are asking is: Is your 07 6.8 V10 able to use E-85?...No it can not! It is not economically feasible to convert it--- IMO

Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Steel or STAINLESS steel?

Now I have to go look