Computer Chips & Tuners  

Superduty Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 01:52 PM
chadrock
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 22-Apr-01 AT 03:04 PM (EST)[/font][p]I tried to post on some of the forums and didn't get much feedback so I am hoping this one might be able to help. I have a 2001 V10 superduty 4x4 with 4:30 gears and would like to get some more power and torque out of it since it is lifted and has larger tires. I already have the K&N setup and an aftermarket cat-back system. I read on the other posts and tried to get info, but it just seems like you guys talk about selling the chips and don't give info reguarding the POST itself.

1) Which chip is the RECOMMENDED for this truck(superchip, diablo, hypertech, etc) and then which type? I've heard of programmers, chips, flip chips, etc.? A few shops here in Las Vegas recommend the Hypertech Programmer?

2) Is a programmer better than a chip? Pros/Cons?

3) Are chips/programmers noticable and worth the money or should I invest in something else (example- headers)?

4)Do you have to use only the premium fuel? I heard that to get the chip to work, you have to use 92 or higher octane? If not, does the chip still work well with 87? Thanks for the help and thanks for the input.

Chad
2001 white F250 V10 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed
Lift, tires, wheels, double RS9000 shocks (chromed)
K&N, aftermarket exhaust
"whited out" & tinted windows

Old 04-22-2001, 03:33 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

>[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 22-Apr-01
>AT 03:04 PM (EST)[/font]
>
>
>1) Which chip is the RECOMMENDED
>for this truck(superchip, diablo, hypertech,
>etc) and then which type?
> I've heard of programmers,
>chips, flip chips, etc.? A
>few shops here in Las
>Vegas recommend the Hypertech Programmer?
>

I'll leave this response for Danny, he's the expert.

>2) Is a programmer better than
>a chip? Pros/Cons?

I'll leave this response for Danny, he's the expert.

>3) Are chips/programmers noticable and worth
>the money or should I
>invest in something else (example-
>headers)?

Yes they are noticable. They will boost the baseline. If you add headers, good intake system, good exhaust system, etc., your gains will be even higher.

>
>4)Do you have to use only
>the premium fuel? I
>heard that to get the
>chip to work, you have
>to use 92 or higher
>octane? If not, does
>the chip still work well
>with 87?

Yes, they require it. If you use 87 octane the engine will ping.

Ken Payne
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin

Old 04-22-2001, 07:14 PM
D
Senior User

Chad: I can only tell you what the Superchip and the DiabloSport chips do. Both will increase your horsepower by 31hp or 10%. The torque will increase by 49 ft/lb. Both the Superchip and Diablo change the engine parameters from idle to full throttle. There are only so many operating parameters that can be altered on a gasoline engine. Just about all aftermarket chips will accomplish close to the same thing. Evidently, by looking at your mods, you are not concerned with fuel mileage, the chips will not gain any mileage, nor will you lose any mileage.
The pros and cons of chips versus programmers: You can simply unplug the chip when going in for service. The reason for this is that the chip will give false codes to Ford's diagnostic equipment. A programmer must be plugged back into the ecu and un-programmed. With a programmer, you must plug back in and reprogram after service, the chip just plugs back in.
Thanks
Danny

Old 04-22-2001, 09:57 PM
chadrock
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 22-Apr-01 AT 10:59 PM (EST)[/font][p]Why will there be pinging if you don't use the 92 octane gas and which is the recommended chip then... superchip or diablo? Does anyone have experience with either on a superduty? If they are the same, then it would be logical to go with the lower priced chip.

Old 04-23-2001, 08:58 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Check my prior response for the pinging question.

Ken Payne

Old 04-23-2001, 07:56 PM
D
Senior User

Chad: The horsepower gains are accomplished by advancing the timing for the use of premium fuel. This is what causes the pinging on regular fuel. You will also not get the power gains using regular fuel, so, why install a chip without power gains. As for which chip is best, all I can do is supply you with the data and let you decide. Both Superchips and DiabloSport claim a 10% increase in horsepower and a 49 ft/lb torque gain.
Thanks
Danny

Old 04-28-2001, 12:57 AM
rdeat183
New User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 28-Apr-01 AT 01:57 AM (EST)[/font][p]I was "stuck" with a Diablo chip when I purchased a Vortech V-2 S trim. Vortech makes no effort to even offer customizing a chip
to remove top end and/or rev limit. Apparently the only chip mfg. offering or able to do this is Superchips. The Diablo chip, after installation, allowed hard aceleration but had a constant hesitation as rpm/speed increased. True to form the engine cuts out at the factory preset 95mph. To get around this I had to purchase a Superchip, custom programmed chip. When your foot hits the floorboard it has about the same acceleration (seriously smoking tires) as the Diablo, however, it is fairly smooth and strong to over 130mph (pretty scary in this big truck, only did it once). With all due respect to Danny and Ken, there are differences in ALL chips, some suit some applications better than others. Chadrock asked a pretty straightup question and, as usual you dodged it with your stock reply. I would tell chadrock if he wants unmodified factory top end and jerky acceleration buy the Diablo. If you want flat out performance gains go with Hypertech or Superchips.

2000 F250 Super Duty, V-10, Vortech Supercharger, Banks headers and exhaust,superchips custom, Auburn diff.

Old 04-28-2001, 07:35 PM
chadrock
Senior User

rdeat183

thank you very much... finally an answer that replys to my initial question. I really appreciate the info. If you see this, I have one question. Does the superchip or hypertech give you more low end power as well, do you recommend a chip(superchip) or a programmer(hypertech), do you use the premium fuel, and have you tried it with 87 or 89 octane? Fianally, would you recommend a chip or programmer over a set of headers if I already have a K&N and aftermarket exhaust? Thanks again rdeat183.

Old 04-28-2001, 09:53 PM
rdeat183
New User

Low end is better with Hypertech...don't they offer a chip vs. a programmer? Superchips is OK throughout the band but shifts aren't as snappy as Hypertech or Diablo. You will absolutely have to run the highest octane fuel available or you will do serious engine damage (pinging). Have I tried lower octane fuel, yes once on my '94, terrible results. Would I go for headers or a chip for performance gains? I did go with headers first but be forwarned, read about it elsewhere on FTE, any exhaust modifications on the the V-10 are good horsepower and mileage builders but the sound takes a little getting used to. I've heard, through this forum, that the 50 series Flowmasters produce a V-8 sound better than my Banks muffler but you don't get the flow from Flowmasters that you do from Banks. The choice is yours. Good Luck.

I notice 7 responses to your question and if you'll note most came from the guys running this site. After getting answers to questions nobody else was either willing or able to answer for any amount of money I felt I owe these guys for the most excellent site I've found for Ford related questions. So I joined the club. To keep great sites like this open to all of us these guys have to pay their bills just like we do. Consider paying the $20.00 to join a small investment for the wealth of knowledge you can glean from this site.

Old 04-28-2001, 10:05 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

And we've got [font size="+1"]BIG[/font] plans for Club members.... major development project underway.

Ken Payne

Old 04-30-2001, 07:10 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

chadrock,

You will notice a subtle power increase with headers. If the cost of buying premium fuel scares ya(like it did me) then headers may be a good aternative. You'll get some power and mpg gains but no other features like speed limiter removal or tranny shift upgrades. You can pick up a set of Borla V10 headers for around $530 delivered. Banks, Borla, Gibson and JBA all make headers for the V10.

Old 05-01-2001, 10:57 PM
D
Senior User

Redeat183: You evidently had the incorrect program in your truck if you experienced jerky acceleration. It may be the chip that came with the system, but, don't blame the chip manufacturer if the blower folks sell generic programs with their products. I also installed a Supercharger, on a 4 banger Focus. The Diablo Custom program produces 7 wheel HP more than Superchips best program. I have 3 Superchips programs and 4 Diablo Programs for this application. All 7 have been dynoed. Sounds like you were trying to run a stock program on a forced air induction motor. You are also mistaken in the statement that Superchips is the only company to offer a chip to remove the speed limiter and raise the rev limiter. This is available with Diablo programming also.
With all due Respect
Danny

Old 05-10-2001, 12:12 PM
rdeat183
New User

Danny,

You are speaking from a Dealer's perspective in this area. The jerky acceleration problem was directed at Vortech and Diablo because they are both a party to the problem. Who buys a blower for same or lower performance output? Who buys a chip for the same reasons? Vortech makes a go fast product and gives you a Diablo chip. It isn't a stock program; it can't be. Diablo's culpability comes in because they write the program and Vortech burns it. I spoke to several people at Vortech, ALL said Diablo couldn't be programmed to remove the rev limiter or top end limiter. I called Pat, a Diablo programmer, he stated that it probably Could be done but wasn't even as a custom program normally. Now you can say Diablo does but Diablo says they don't. Does that make my statement incorrect? Superchips does this without any hassle, however they have my chip back now for two reasons. The MAF sensor on the intake can't see over 4.8v, if it does it raises a red flag in the computer and tries to shut down. Since a blower in effect creates a vacuum that sends the voltage to the sensor past the preset. That's some of the jerkiness. The second issue is "firmer shifts". Not. It's no better than stock. This is the second Superchip with the same shift problem on two entirely different trucks. Vortech recommends adding the shift valve kit, which I have ordered since I hold no hopes that Superchips will correct this issue.
The thing you need to realize, Danny, is that a Dealer gets a whole lot more from the manufacturer than the end user does. Since even Diablo denies what you claim to be true, maybe you could "enlighten" Diablo or perhaps you're mistaken.
With all due respect.
Ron

Old 05-10-2001, 06:43 PM
D
Senior User

Ron: Take a look at a site called FocalJet.com, here we have Diablo Chipped about 75 Focus, removing the speed limiters completely and raising the rev limiters to 7250 rpm. I am not sure of what code you have, but, I have about 70 Powerstroke programs and about 80 F150 programs from Diablo specifically for removing the speed limiter in conjunction with the normal performance enhancements. I am not defending either company, I distribute both, simply trying to clear up a misconception.
Respectfully
Danny
2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
2001 Escape
BOTH DiabloSport Chipped WITH NO SPEED LIMITERS

Old 05-10-2001, 11:56 PM
rdeat183
New User

Danny,
We're not talking about Focus's(Foci?) or diesels. We're talking a specific application for the Triton V10 regardless of flavor.
(i.e. 4X4, 4X2, etc.). Both answers are well intentioned but you're talking apples and I'm talking oranges. If Diablo does for the Triton V10 what you "think" Diablo does then they, they being Diablo and/or Vortech, lied to me or deliberately mislead me. Your choice. If you rep both then you must be patently aware that Superchips makes the claim that they are the only chip that can remove limiters on the Triton V10. If this isn't true I see a call to their States' Attorney General for the deceitful and misleading advertising they're publishing. If they state "one of the only" and no one else can, then the argument is moot. If they state "the only" then the argument stands. Either way they lose; if what you say is true and applies to the V10.
Chadrock's original question was, in my opinion, answered honestly and to the best of my ability with the hands on experience I've had. Since you're talking about a Focus or diesel and I'm talking about a V10 Triton maybe your next response will be in context. I hope this clears up "your" misunderstanding

Quick Reply: Superduty Performance Chip