Search this Thread

Old 12-31-1969, 06:00 PM
1986 ENGIN SWAP 351W (NOW NEED CHIP?)

Old 10-23-2001, 12:10 AM
gostrider
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if a chip could be built for my truck?

I have a 1986 F250 4x4 that went though an engin swap. The truck now has a 351W with mass air from Best Products. The computer used is from a 1990 Mustang manual trans. The engin has 10 To 1 compression, K& M air filter, roller cam, Windsor Junior heads, with huger headers. If this can be done please give me a list of additional information would be needed. I can give you the numbers off the back of the computer for that part.

Part two of my question . I have read some of the posted messages about the need for higher octane gas with the use of a ship. My engin needs all of the 93 octane it can get with the 10 to 1 compression. I tried to use mid grade gas with no luck, yes PINING! Would I need to use octane booster with your chip?

Please explain the reason for the need of better gas. The chip does not change the compression ratio. I am sure it changes the timing advance thought, Hmmmm?

Thank You TORCH

Old 10-23-2001, 09:42 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are correct, the reason why computer chips require higher octane is they advance timing.

Your truck will need a custom chip coded for it to take advantage of the heads, cam and compression ratio. You will NOT need higher octane than 92/93. We would code the timing for 92/93 octane (higher only if you requested it).

With custom programming, we can really tweak it exactly for your needs:

Engine size, transmission, camshaft (lobe seperation, duration @.50 intake and exhaust), valve size, port and polish, throttle bottle size, mass air meter size, lb/hr injector size, fuel pump, fuel management unit, fuel pressure regulator, rev/speed limiters, header tubing size (and short/long tube), H pipe exhaust, gear ratio, shift kit, high stall coverter, forced induction, and nitrous.

As you can see, custom programming covers pretty much everything. Custom programming is an additional charge (shown in the online store). We would need your ECU code from the current computer. Most likely, we would have to code a Superchip for you application instead of a Diablo because the computer is older.

Ken Payne
[img src="/dcforum/User_files/webmaster/usaflag.gif" valign=top align=left] Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin