Sponsored by:

V-10 tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 AM
shadowdd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V-10 tuner

Does anyone recommend a tuner for a V-10? What is the best out there for the X?

Thanks, Bryan

Old 06-14-2007, 01:24 PM
ExcursionUSA
Senior User
Bryan... I was about to post a similar question as well. I did some research, but it is really hard to tell which of the available power programmers are best. I am waiting for a reply from the members as well...

Andy

Old 06-14-2007, 01:56 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
When I bought my X, I had a SuperChips 1715 from my F150 that I kept. With the F150, 5.4l, it made a noticible difference. When I tried on the V10, I could really tell any difference.

I've heard that the SCT works better with the v10.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
jackrista
Senior User
lets find out,I want to buy one but wich is going to give the best results is A good question. i was looking at the diablo programmer.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:22 PM
nebmike
Senior User
V-10 Tuner

I've used a Hypertech and had decent results with the truck in stock configuration... it shaved a full second off my 0-60 time (which for an 8,000lb truck is impressive!). Only problem I noticed was that on either the low or high octane settings, I'd get some engine knock when pulling a 7500lb trailer up a steep grade at full throttle at ~4,000 feet elevation. Saw no mileage improvement with it though.

Recently installed a Banks Power Pack (intake, headers, y-pipe, cat-back) and according to Hypertech, their programmer isnt calibrated to work with headers (so its available if anybody wants it) so I bought an SCT Livewire and had a custom tune done. Havent had it long enough to really test it yet (only about a week). It sure programs a lot faster than the Hypertech did though! It includes programs for 87, 91 and 93 octane, as well as settings for towing and economy... and has several user-adjustable settings. Other than a low quality screen, it seems to be a decent unit.

I'd also looked at Diablo, but found out from a factory rep that the programmer they have specific to the V-10 does NOT have any user-adjustable options, nor will it allow you to monitor any PID's -- it programs only. That application is the only one that doesnt have the full features. I guess they're working on an update, but there is no word on a release date.

FWIW,
Mike

Old 06-14-2007, 03:16 PM
jackrista
Senior User
how do you like the banks set up? is it to loud??

Old 06-14-2007, 10:07 PM
sewerat
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the superchips tuner and noticed a smoother shift point, slightly better fuel milage but the dyno noticed big difference in the HP and TQ

Old 06-14-2007, 11:46 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sewerat, you said the dyno noticed a big diff in hp and tq? do you have some #'s? thanks.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 AM
sewerat
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RACERX7775
sewerat, you said the dyno noticed a big diff in hp and tq? do you have some #'s? thanks.
this is from when i had it done...

"Well i had the Ex put up on the dyno today to find out what she'll put down to the ground. With all the small stuff i have done to it as far as tuning it, with the superchips tuner in 87 octane mod it put out 225.9 hp & 290.9 ft.lbs torque. with the tuner set for performance it put out 239.6hp & 330.2ft.lbs. Not to shabby for a first attempt at some hp gains. Once i get the sheets scaned I'll post em up here as well."

Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 PM
nebmike
Senior User
jackrista:

Well, I'm impressed with the workmanship on the Banks Powerpack, but I'm extremely disappointed in the fact that I gained nothing performance-wise. Same 0-60 times empty and with an 8,000lb trailer both before and after the install. :-( I'm a bit disappointed in the exhaust tone also -- its not loud by any stretch, but makes it sound like a 4-banger. *gag* :-(

Banks says that for me to not "notice" a performance gain is "unusual"... but everything else on the truck checks out ok, so I dunno what the deal is. Definitely suffering from buyers remorse.

Mike

Old 06-17-2007, 01:33 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Your Banks sounds like a 4-banger?! Have you heard my sound clip? Does it sound similar?

On subject: The Diablo tuner is a nice tuner and one I would buy if in the market. I had a SuperChips and liked it but would want to try the more aggressive Diablo.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:43 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Yup... thats what it sounds like. It doesnt flutter nearly as bad as when I had the Y-pipe I got off of eBay before the Banks system. I could have sworn I had an exhaust leak. That was quite annoying, actually.

I guess maybe "4-banger" is a bad description of the Banks system... its just not a throaty big-power sound. The tone is just different than I've ever heard on a big engine -- softer, more hollow sounding. I wasnt looking for 'loud'... but I did have hopes that it'd be a bit more 'manly' than it is. The .wav file of the Banks exhaust sound on their website is nothing like the real system -- its more what I wish mine sounded like.

Mike

Old 06-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The V10 certainly has a sound all it's own. I like the idle rumble and the sound when it spools up. I certainly wouldn't compare it to a 4-banger, IMHO.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:38 AM
shadowdd
Elder User
Does the livewire work with the V-10? Otherwise I will go with the superchips I guess.

Bryan

Old 06-17-2007, 01:04 PM
nebmike
Senior User
shadowdd:

The Livewire does work for the V-10. I've got one and other than it having kinda crappy screen quality (I guess they're all like that), its a good unit. Gives you more flexibility and monitoring capability than most tuners.

Mike

Quick Reply: V-10 tuner